Hello everyone,

The new raspberry pi 5 has been announced

Key features include:

• 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU
  • VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2
  • Dual 4Kp60 HDMI® display output
  • 4Kp60 HEVC decoder
  • Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi®
  • Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • High-speed microSD card interface with SDR104 mode support
  • 2 × USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation
  • 2 × USB 2.0 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires separate PoE+ HAT, coming soon)
  • 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers
  • PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for fast peripherals
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin GPIO header
  • Real-time clock
  • Power button

Recommended Retail price is:

• Raspberry Pi 5 4GB is $60.00.
  • Raspberry Pi 5 8GB is $80.00.

What do you think of it?

5 Likes

I’ve just pre-ordered mine. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Sadly much lower than rumors.

No 16 Gb, no full size HDMI, only quad core.

Sometimes it goes like that :frowning:

Orange Pi 5 Plus remains the best buy.

1 Like

16 will come later

I think so too.

The HDMI ports are my biggest disappointment. Since the clunky adapters been damaging the ports for me, since the small ports don’t allow for much side ways movement of the connector when you have adapter on it.

The HDMI ports on the Orange Pi 5 plus is good, they put them tilted vertically to make space for full size ports.

Another issue which I am not sure if was fixed or not (need to read up on it). Raspberry Pi 4 had bad habit giving many USB-C power supples wrong signals causing them to deliver boosts meant for charging batteries which damaged the boards.

Exactly! :slight_smile:

Feature Orange Pi 5 Plus Raspberry Pi 5
SoC Rockchip RK3566 Broadcom BCM2711
CPU Quad-core Cortex-A76 up to 2.4 GHz Quad-core Cortex-A72 up to 1.8 GHz
GPU Mali-G68 MC4 VideoCore VI
RAM 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, (or 32 GB) 2 GB, 4 GB, or 8 GB
Storage 32 GB eMMC (Replaceable up to 256GB) 64 GB eMMC or 128 GB eMMC
Ports 2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, HDMI 2.1, 2x 2,5 GB Ethernet, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0 2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, HDMI 2.1, 1x 1 GB Ethernet, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0
Power consumption 2.3 W (full load), 1.1 W (idle) 3.5 W (full load), 0.9 W (idle)

[Updated]

Mind you the 32 Gb one has never been manufactured as far as I know.

They have always said up to 32 Gb but I never seen them anywhere, only 16.

And missing from the comparison is the Orange Pi 5 Plus has 2x 2,5 Gb Ethernet ports while Raspberry Pi has 1x 1 GB

And the eMMC listing is wrong above also, it is slotted and not soldered, and you can buy them in many sizes up to 256 Gb

Though I personally just run on nVME SSD via its NVME slot.

And the Quad core part is wrong also. Their Octa core.

3 Likes

What do you guys need all that power for? (serious inquiry, not sassy attitude)
I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi 4, but I only use it for Pi-hole and Jellyfin.

1 Like

I’ve seen companies building production line automation systems, vending and redemption systems, on-location gaming (think BINGO caller with animated number display on a big screen), video stream distribution systems to multiple in-location displays, CCTV management systems (multiple video in and display), robotics controllers, all kinds of neat stuff. The additional power of these boards is definitely welcome.

2 Likes

And all sorts of low power servers. (Both home servers and for business use)

The boards are getting so powerful that their very good as small servers. (Especially if you take out the SD card and use NVME drive for good speed and reliability)

3 Likes

Reliable storage and the ability to run Windows are key for me. Can’t live with the OS-on-SD-card reliability issues, so if onboard eMMC mitigates that then it could be a candidate to replace the Aaeon Up Board my client uses now.

1 Like

I’m aware that people managed to install and run Windows ARM from a M.2 SSD in a Orange Pi 5. I guess the SD card was used just for UEFI boot, and I guess that even that may not be necessary with some extra research.

Why attach an adapter. Can you not just use an HDMI cable with a mini port on one end and a full size on the other.

1 Like

Because I use display emulator dongles.

And once you have Dongle + Adapter then your going to have very sensitive situation, barely touching the combo of the two swings the port and destroys it.

??!!
well it’s 2x as fast as the 4 !

sometime i feel people in tech industry are like jaded by novelties

rumors are just click baith made by attention-whores.

pi5 looks amazing ! :open_mouth:
for 80$ !
made in england ! :slight_smile:

but wait, I’ve read rumors that Pi6 will make coffee :astonished:

well orange pi 5 is 200€ !!
compare to pi 5 47-63€

https://www.amazon.fr/Orange-RK3588S-Module-carte-unique/dp/B0BNP7SMZM/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3R2TIDXJJKFLZ&keywords=orange+Pi+5&qid=1695952346&s=electronics&sprefix=orange+pi+5%2Celectronics%2C51&sr=1-9&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.49fccda8-a887-4188-817b-b9a64bb30e43

rasp Pi5 best value
omg this for 47€ !!!

You can run ssd, flash or other drives on the raspberry pi 4 and 5.

I see $85

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804755535571.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

M.2 for SSD integrated without cables, hat or dongle

Again, why can’t that go on the end of a small cable, away from the port. Much like Apples adapters have a plug separate from the adapter. You could have a small extender cable from the pie to your adapters. It should remove any worries about destroying the ports.