Problem running in simulator

Getting this message when I try to run in simulator:

Error signing application:/Users/bobgordon/Documents/Projects/Sliderule 3/Sliderule.debug.app/Sliderule.debug: resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed

Update:
It builds (for distribution!) successfully. I just doesn’t run in the simulator.

this is a known issue, i believe xojo is working hard on it.

What’s odd is that some of my apps work and some don’t.

You mean in the simulator right?

It should work:

• On device (debug run on device)
  • Build (testflight and device)

But currently not:

• in the simulators

If it does work in the simulator, please note which do work that would be useful info.

I’d be curious if the difference with the ones that are working is that they have a Team selected and all the proper certs and profiles set up.

I believe this problem began when Xojo started to sign the builds that go to the simulators so they could embed the selected entitlements, something that hadn’t been done before.

I created an issue about this. Everything works great in 2023R3.1 with all the things you mention done. Just not in 2023R4.

Went back to 2023.3.1 things are happier.

That’s only going to get you so far. Apply typically requires iOS apps to start building against the latest SDK sometime in the spring, requiring an everyone to start using the latest versions of Xojo as well. Hopefully Xojo gets this fixed in 2024r1.

The problem reported above:

I had some help files as html in a folder (resources). Made them constants in a class. Now things work.

Not obvious.

Hmmm. My Resource folder contains JSON data files and a .ttf font file. How could this be a problem? I sign the app after these are copied into Resources.

Maybe someone of xojo should try this to reproduce?
@Javier_Menendez perhaps?

Hi @DerkJ

Yeah, that’s an odd one. It would be very useful guys if anyone of you (@Art_Gorski or @Bob_Gordon) can send (even privately) an example project reproducing the problem (adding stuff to the Resources folder).

Thank you so much… and happy new Xojo year, BTW!! :+1:

1 Like

If I run any Xojo example project with nothing in the Resources folder where I set my team and status to Development I get the same signing errors. So there’s an example project for you!

This is a common problem, even with Xcode iOS development, when you have included files that have metadata or other file ‘detritus’ — example, including PNGs created by Photoshop will cause this error when they’re included in an iOS Xcode target. To fix the issue, you can run this terminal command on the offending files:

xattr -c <filename>

Would be nice if XOJO did this automatically, for each included file, when building iOS targets, but I suppose one could write a build script.

1 Like