Problem compiling a project on ChromeBook in the Linux Environment

From what I understand, it’s Crostini which is build on Linux-KVM.

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/master/containers_and_vms.md

Also:

Regards,
Antoine

Now that I’ve done some reading about this, it’s entirely possible that the problem is the Crostini sandbox. It looks like the container itself is read-only and that may be preventing the compiler from creating temp files.

I’m going to suggest that you download the tgz file and decompress it into a folder other than /opt, perhaps somewhere in your user space and that you redirect temp to another (known writable) location as well by changing the environment variable for this process.

1 Like

So I did what you suggested, create a tmp folder with 777 permissions,
changed some local environment variables

export TEMP=/usr/local/tmp
export TMPDIR=/usr/local/tmp

I downloaded the .tgz, did a tar -xvzf on it.

I made sure I had at least 5 Gb of disk space free.

But, when running Xojo, still same error.

Regards,
Antoine

This might sound weird, and I had to install Xojo twice to be able to get all of the read-only files to be writable again.

sudo dpkg -i /home/eugenedakin/Downloads/xojo2022r41.deb
sudo dpkg -i /home/eugenedakin/Downloads/xojo2022r41.deb

Initially, I was finding that opening the installed Xojo program would not remember settings, such as ‘small icons and labels’ After installing xojo2022r41.deb a second time, then the proper settings were created and the Xojo IDE remembered the settings.

I am running Ubuntu 2022.04.1, on a Oracle VM VirtualBox with Windows 11.

One thing that I don’t see above - how many processors and how much RAM do you have assigned to the VM? I never run Xojo in a VM with less than 4 procs and 8GB of RAM assigned.

Tim

1 Like

I have installed many VM. Just to make sure, I have restarted this process with VirtualBox, a 20 Gb of HD and 8 Gb of RAM machine and 2 procs.

On KDE, everthing works. On GNOME, I get the same error I get on my ChromeBook.
I made a new post about it:

Regards,
Antoine

You don’t need to make more than one thread.

The 2 setup are very different.

One is on ChromeBook, and its component that I can’t change, and only people with a ChromeBook or even perhaps the same as me can replicate the problem.

The other is on a new Debian v11.6 installation from scratch on a VirtualBox setup that anybody can replicate at home. I can even share the receipe to them.

It’s realy 2 different problems/situations, that just happen to give the same error message.

A.

@Antoine_Beaubien

You already have a thread about this over here:

Please don’t double-post

Like I said, they are really 2 differents threads.

The thread you are pointing was written AFTER this one.

If one gets fixed, it doesn’t mean the other will work.

This thread is really about Xojo on a ChromeBook. If I could rename it to “Xojo on a ChromeBook + Linux Developer Environment not compiling”.

The other thread is not about ChromeBook, but a VM on VirtualBox. Not the same hardware, not the same software.

Regards, Antoine

As a follow-up, I want to say that I tested this issue with the new v2023r1 release today, and the problem still occurs.

@Greg_O : is it possible to rename this issue as:
Problem compiling a project on ChromeBook in the Linux Environment.

Regards,
Antoine Beaubien

You can ‘flag’ your OP and ask a moderator to change the title if you can’t.

1 Like

There’s potential that this may be the same issue as https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/72020. I’m not sure if you are able to try the workaround listed in that case, but if not, make sure to try the next version that comes out.

1 Like

@William_Yu : Thanks!

I had to change a bit the command so that it works.

sudo mv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM* /tmp/Xojo

Running from the shell, I get these warning. Some are new. I’m just putting this here for reference/curiosity.

$ ~/Xojo.sh 
libEGL warning: MESA-LOADER: failed to open virtio_gpu: /usr/lib/dri/virtio_gpu_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)

libEGL warning: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)

EGLDisplay Initialization failed: EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
failed to load code unit /home/antoine/Xojo/2023.01.00.59673/Precompiled Plugins/Plugins0GUILinuxGTKx86_64.o: failed to open file
failed to load code unit /home/antoine/Xojo/2023.01.00.59673/Precompiled Plugins/Plugins1GUILinuxGTKx86_64.o: failed to open file
failed to load code unit /home/antoine/Xojo/2023.01.00.59673/Precompiled Plugins/Plugins2GUILinuxGTKx86_64.o: failed to open file

Thanks for the patch/hack.

Regards,
Antoine

1 Like