Xojo & Debian 11.6 + GNOME

Feedback Case Number:

I have insatalled an Debian 11.6 on a VirtualkBox VM machine with 8 Go of RAM and 20 Gb of HD.

I have installed Xojo v2022 4.1, following the requirements and instructions.

If I install a KDE, Xojo will work, but with GNOME, I get this error when trying to run an example (I can open the file, just not luach or Analyse).

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Antoine

./Xojo
Xojo: /var/lib/go-agent/pipelines/LLVM/source/include/llvm/Support/Casting.h:255: typename cast_retty<X, Y *>::ret_type llvm::cast(Y *) [X = llvm::FunctionType, Y = llvm::Type]: Assertion `isa<X>(Val) && "cast<Ty>() argument of incompatible type!"' failed.
Aborted

Just to be clear, I install a Debian 11.6 wuth KDE, I install Xojo, and everything works.

I install GNOME after, and Xojo no longer works.
Command to install GNOME:

sudo apt install gnome/stable

I have done many installation from scratch.

Regards,
Antoine

This seems to fall under:

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this. 
Doctor: Well, don't do that.

All kidding aside, there are two possibilities:

1. It’s a bug which you should report
  2. It’s an unsupported config and you should make a feature request if you really need it.

Either way: https://issues.xojo.com/

My best guest at this point is somekind of incompatibility with some Desktop Environments. Thought it must be solved in Xojo, I don’t think it’s a big thing. It is certainately not a new feature.

Maybe incompatibilities with some librairies or installation steps.

I don’ t have high hopes. This might be a low interest bug.

Regards,
Antoine

As per the suggestion, I did an Issue.

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/71803

llvm is the compiler/toolchain used by Xojo, and the error states that a assertion failed in Casting.h at line 255. My guess is that GNOME has some incompatibility with Xojo.

These are the joys with Linux. What does Xojo says about the Debian compatibility regarding the graphics interfaces ?

What does Xojo says about the Debian compatibility regarding the graphics interfaces?

Not sure I understand your question. Debian is said to be supported from Debian v6, and I’m at v11.6. They don’ t specify compatibility with Desktop Environment. My tests showed me that I could run & compile with the IDE with XDE, but not GNOME. I can open projects in GNOME, but compliling crashes.

Regards,
Antoine

The ironic part of having an issue compiling on GNOME is that Xojo produces GTK applications which is a GNOME technology.

That’s unfortunate.

Good thing you created an issue. I googled to see if other post were about that issue, found nothing like yours.