PDF to Image

Is this possible? If so how?

Ghostscript will do it for you pretty easily and is cross platform. Beware of licensing issues though.

You may want to look at this other topic as well. Pity both topics were not named the same.

sips -s format png --out

Mac? Win? Linux? iOS? Desktop? Console?

Without details…

MBS Plugins include classes for Mac only (PDFKIt and CoreGraphics) as well as cross platform PDF rendering engine as part of DynaPDF Plugin.

Mac and windows.
Would like to be able to create one image for each pdf page.

you can do that with DynaPDF Pro plugin from us.

see
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/xojo/plugin-dynapdf.shtml

Except that they are about two diametrically opposite problems. One is about creating a PDF from an image, and the other about creating an image from a PDF page…

Is he looking for software that already does this or how to build software to do this?

Software:
Mac
Preview - just save as .jpeg, .png, or what ever you desire

Windows
Adobe Acrobat - save as what ever image extension you desire

Building Software
I personally use MBS plugins for just about every challenging task I can. I just completed a project that uses DynaPDF. Although the learning curve is steep, it is much easier and more capable than any other method I tried.

Talk to Christian about this!

My original search was to find code to add to an application.
DynaPDF would be a good solution, however I can not justify the cost.

[quote=179698:@Jim Smith]My original search was to find code to add to an application.
DynaPDF would be a good solution, however I can not justify the cost.[/quote]

I purchased it when it was offered with the “Omega Bundle 2014”. $3XX.XX for great plug-ins seemed worth the cost to the development team here. For an individual, it is a little steep, but it does help out a lot!

[quote=179698:@Jim Smith]My original search was to find code to add to an application.
DynaPDF would be a good solution, however I can not justify the cost.[/quote]

What is the audience for this software?

For OSX use Norman’s suggestion just shell out to what the OS supplies. On Windows if your software license is compatible then try the GhostScript option there.

Just wanted to add that I’ve used both OS X and GhostScript in the past and both worked out very well.

Of course DynaPDF has lots of advantages if you can justify the price for a project.

I believe that the version of DynaPDF that is/was part of the Omega Bundle, while very useful and powerful, will not rasterize PDFs. For that, you need at least a Pro license…

You are correct. Maybe next time I drink more caffeine before answering. So sorry about that.

Seems like GhostScript and DynaPdf are the best options then. For DynaPDF it seems to need the DynaPDF.RenderPage function, which is part of the PRO package (if I read the website correctly).

Ghostscript is very expensive for commercial licensing. Compared to Ghostscript, the DynaPDF prices are quite low…
Don’t forget that and get in trouble by not respecting the GPL correctly.

[quote=179809:@Christian Schmitz]Ghostscript is very expensive for commercial licensing. Compared to Ghostscript, the DynaPDF prices are quite low…
Don’t forget that and get in trouble by not respecting the GPL correctly.[/quote]

It’s actually worse then that now because the latest versions are under the AGPL license. AGPL tries to extend GPL’s limitations to software that communicates with GhostScript, forcing almost everyone into a commercial license. I didn’t realize that until this thread. (In the project where I used it, it was still under GPL and my client was in compliance.)

I’m not going to put any pdf to image stuff in my program. I just capture images and if the user want pdf to image they can convert it.

Thanks all.

Sometimes that is the best solution.

Since you probably will not sell the Windows app right next to the Mac app, you could use the Mac OS X provided sips in the Mac app to bring it the PDF feature. And let the Windows users deal with the conversion themselves.