no news on the native support of IOS ????

I hate to get involved in this type of discussion, but no they don’t. You can submit as many apps as you want for the price of the dev license…no “per app” fees.

Most of this post is hearsay or outright inaccurate.

Sometimes the winning arguments fall on deaf ears. Web apps on Android will continue to rock. As we get more Intel powered Android devices, it might even be possible to install “servers” on them and give users a very responsive web-app experience.

I agree with Bob Keeney’s comments regarding the iOS demo at the XOJO conference. I was thoroughly impressed. The XOJO team has been doing a great job on it, as I think you’ll soon see. Joe built a complete working Notes app from scratch in a matter of 30 minutes or so, complete with a scrolling table of note titles, icons next to each, ability to add/edit/delete them, etc. Seeing it run flawlessly on both the iPhone and iPad, in both portrait and landscape modes, was a beautiful thing! I realize that a Notes app is relatively simple compared to a lot of work we’re all doing, but it shows that this thing is real and is nearly ready to ship.

Also, the meeting was not a “XOJO Love Fest” by any means. There were 100+ people in the room that make their living using XOJO. There were harsh questions and comments for the engineers along with the positive ones. Believe me, they feel the intense pressure to get it into our hands. I’m probably as frustrated and anxious to get started on iOS projects as the rest of you. The iOS version is coming soon, people. I’ve seen it firsthand and it looks really nice!

Winning ?

While we all know they are in and of themselves computers from the carriers perspective its a phone first and foremost - and the carriers will care about whats on it and what it behaves like and whether it causes THEM & their networks grief.
If it does they’ll shut it off or cut it off.
And they won’t care.

Google doesn’t vet apps as rigorously as Apple does - for better or worse.
BUT Google is starting to find they have to do more like Apple.
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/mobile-2/2013/06/is-google-acknowledging-android-is-not-secure-hmm/

And they are being much more strict about what devices can get Google Play support & what that entails - more & more of which is NOT in the base Android open source repositories Leaked OEM licensing terms reveal Google's level of control over apps

And, I suspect that like Windows folks found years ago lots of stuff ? lots of good stuff
It usually amounted to mountains of crapware

This ted talk is always fun as its bang on the subject http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice

There are good other ways, to develop an iOS App without using the insane Obj-C and Xcode.

For example: I use dragonfire SDK. it will have to be proved first, that the development with Xojo is worth to pay 400$! I’m a little bit skeptical…

[quote=75365:@Norman Palardy]While we all know they are in and of themselves computers from the carriers perspective its a phone first and foremost - and the carriers will care about whats on it and what it behaves like and whether it causes THEM & their networks grief.
If it does they’ll shut it off or cut it off.
And they won’t care.
[/quote]

This is basically the Steve Jobs argument circa 1997 when all the carriers were already offering 3G PCMCIA cards for laptops. It flies completely in the face of not only the principle of network neutrality (a good principle), but also the specific regulatory schemes intended to implement it (which are generally awful).

But looking ahead… The new trend with Android, except on Verizon’s network, is consumers buying devices unbundled from contracts. The Moto G, a very capable phone without any vendor or carrier garbage-ware is $199 outright. If you want high end, the Moto X at $350ish or the Nexus 5 at $400 have you covered. No carrier subsidies/lockin. Meanwhile, Apple doesn’t have an unlocked phone in either of those price ranges.

Your point about Google asserting more control over device makers is a fair one. But it doesn’t come near the control Apple exerts. In the Android ecosystem, there are still and will remain many device makers not named Google :-).

[quote=75432:@Lars Lehmann]For example: I use dragonfire SDK. it will have to be proved first, that the development with Xojo is worth to pay 400$! I’m a little bit skeptical…
[/quote]

They are clearly betting on the iOS stuff attracting new developers looking for an easier way to build iOS apps. But the jackpot value with RS/Xojo has always been cross-platform development. Existing Xojo customers who can reach another revenue generating deployment platform without reinventing their whole wheel will be quick to sign up.

I had a Google account to recover some income from ads on my web site. Made a pittance despite thousands of visitors. Then one day Google shut down my account with no warning or description of the problem. I filled in the appeal form. It returned auto-reply that their decision was final and they were keeping all the money in the account. There was no ‘human’ to contact.

Google now have the gall to email me to open my account again. I have vowed never to use Google again.

Apple, on the other hand, have clear rejections on their web site. I have even had an Apple human phone me to ask me personally why I needed access to the camera or address book. I told them, then they approved the app. They pay me monthly and are a pleasure to do business with.

[quote=75435:@Brad Hutchings]This is basically the Steve Jobs argument circa 1997 when all the carriers were already offering 3G PCMCIA cards for laptops. It flies completely in the face of not only the principle of network neutrality (a good principle), but also the specific regulatory schemes intended to implement it (which are generally awful).
[/quote]
Net neutrality is great in principle but the carriers have managed to avoid it - Netflix paying for access is a great example.
Carriers of all kinds aren’t just “common carriers” like trucking firms, shipping firms, that don’t get to cherry pick who can and can’t use their services (although I tend to agree that digitally maybe they should be)
For now that’s the reality so they may just shut out certain systems if they misbehave or could misbehave.
Its why certifying new devices with them & the FCC (or CRTC & Industry Canada here) is such a pain

[quote=75435:@Brad Hutchings]But looking ahead… The new trend with Android, except on Verizon’s network, is consumers buying devices unbundled from contracts. The Moto G, a very capable phone without any vendor or carrier garbage-ware is $199 outright. If you want high end, the Moto X at $350ish or the Nexus 5 at $400 have you covered. No carrier subsidies/lockin. Meanwhile, Apple doesn’t have an unlocked phone in either of those price ranges.
[/quote]
Having a device & having the ability to use it on someones network are two different things.
Apple not having a device in that price range seems to be a very common complaint.
Personally I don’t really worry about that as I’m not willing to settle for something I consider inferior just to save $50 (the 4S unlocked uncontracted & unsimmed is $450 in the US store)
Premium products, which is generally how the iPhone is regarded, are premium priced and Apple mostly doesn’t compete on price in any product category. They make great reliable desirable products (like this Apple Inc. (AAPL) Is China's Most Desired Smartphone Brand, Ahead Of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. | IBTimes)

These ARE my personal feelings.

Certainly they’ve chosen to a different model from that perspective.
But with every subsequent release of Android more & more moves out of the base open source Android repo’s & into the items required to not be altered in order to get into google play etc. And those are NOT open source.
It seems to be one reason Samsung is making overtures to press ahead with Tizen and create their own store etc.

I have Xojo apps that I hope can be ported fairly easily to iPad when the time comes. These apps sold in the MAS show good sales potential, largely more than the $400 for a license. So the problem becomes not faith, but feasibility and suitability to market. We shall know when Xojo iOS becomes available what is involved in porting desktop apps.

One thing is for sure : porting Xojo to Xojo will never be as painful as creating a new program in Dragonfire SDK, Livecode or any other peculiar environment.

[quote=75432:@Lars Lehmann]There are good other ways, to develop an iOS App without using the insane Obj-C and Xcode.

For example: I use dragonfire SDK. it will have to be proved first, that the development with Xojo is worth to pay 400$! I’m a little bit skeptical…[/quote]

Corona sdk

There are lots of dev tools out there. I challenge you to find one that does cross-platform desktop and iOS apps, using native controls and a high level language. I don’t believe you’ll find one. Bonus points if the company has been around for 16 years, like this one.

I know how to settle the anxiety about “When”.
Lets just tell everyone we’re not doing anything for iOS.
Then it will be a big surprise & everyone can just be happy until then an quit stressing over it.

Think that will fly ?

See what you’ve all done?

You’d have to go back in time a bit, but sure, why not? Try…

“Einstein Express: When It Positively Has To Be There The Day Before Yesterday.”

I just heard a rumor that Xojo is going to support iOS - Yippy!!! Ok maybe I need to check this forum more often :wink: A good friend of mine who is a biochemist once told me that the damage you do to your body when you get stressed about stuff is dramatic and he gave the example of someone hitting your car and making a dent. He always say, you can either get stressed and hurt yourself or just accept it and get on with dealing with what you can which you have to do no matter if you get stressed or not. So maybe everyone should remember: "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. ". Now hows that for profound.

Bob, I wouldn’t wonder if they’re gonna change a whole bunch of stuff in iOS 8 and probably mixing iOS and OS X some other year later. so, is this a good reason for “Xojo for iOS” ?

We all know it’s hard to bring iOS support but here’s to Xojo inc : be honest.

[quote=75334:@Brad Hutchings]Web apps on Android will continue to rock. As we get more Intel powered Android devices, it might even be possible to install “servers” on them and give users a very responsive web-app experience.[/quote]You already can, I have Lighttpd + MySQL + PHP installed on my Android phone. You can find it here.

I’ve also used Python and bottle.py to create servers that run on my Android phone.

Have you guys checked out Kivy?

If you’re writing apps for in house use or for your own personal use the Kivy Launcher for Android is especially convenient.