New documentation is hard to love

And now the local documentation is even worst :roll_eyes:

Xojo replaced the individual pages with HUGE single pages with LOTS of content each one at the same time they REMOVED the option to SEARCH in the page as previous documentation. Control + F on windows.

Is this another consequence of not giving support for the NATIVE renderer on windows?

Stop removing features and give propper support for the current native renderer that is already installed on most windows machines.

meanwhile, find a way to enable the in the webkit renderer for the New documentation, it is a real pain to look for something in those absurdly giant pages.

And the option to open in your favourite desktop browser is also gone, I can’t really get my head around removing that then forcing the page to open in the internal htmlviewer which has had reduced functionality for two and a half years https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/58545 only for Geoff to recently suggest the exact same thing in a round about way and for it to almost immediately get scheduled…

I have to say, I really detest some of the form over function decisions xojo makes either by design or by accident.

4 Likes

Yet another problem avoided by not renewing my licence beyond 2019r2 :partying_face:

If he says that you were talking about a different thing… He must know better what you meant and what you want…

And speaking about a bad documentation, there are several mentions of the “windows native renderer” in the DesktopHTMLViewer documentation although xojo decided to ditch the native renderer. Totally ridiculous to add like 200 Mb to an app just to display some basic HTML content when MOST windows PCs already had the New WebView2 runtime installed.

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/59961

Are you sure there is no option to choose which renderer to use? If this is indeed not the case, it would a massive mistake for sure.

You can open the documentation on the following URL:

http://documentation.xojo.com

You can then find on page, bookmark items etc The old documentation is available on

http://docs.xojo.com

1 Like

I believe the discussion turned to the local (offline) documentation. I might’ve misunderstood though.

Well, xojo deleted the renderer property section, but all the other properties afected by the renderer still mention it.

Try searching for renderer and the documentation will show you the DesktopHTMLViewer

Yes I know, thats how I noticed the really bad job at removing the renderer from the DesktopHTMLViewer.

But it is a shame that the built in functionality (offline documentation) is not that usable

The program (XojoDeprecated) has been updated with numerous bug fixes. It now will run on Mojave (10.14) as well as more recent macOS versions.

http://bearboat.net/DepXojo/XojoDeprecated.html

5 Likes

Thank you very much Robert! This is very highly useable!!

Nice work Robert.

Have-you considered an “Exclude” feature ?

Something like -iOS (or the reverse: show only “iOS” or “Desktop” or…

So, only the needed target is displayed per user setting.

Explanation:
When I am adding an SQLite Data Base Feature to my Desktop application, I do not care about WebSQLite (if it exist) or iOS SQLite… and so on. Worst, sometimes I may display the wrong information (if in the display ToC)…

I have wanted that feature for the actual documentation for the reasons you mention, but I doubt that I would bother for this small app. It would complicate a simple app and generally the number of “hits” is small enough that it is easily scanned by eye.

This is what baffles me about the entire new “desktopThis” and “webThat” thing in New Xojo. The IDE KNOWS that I’m creating a desktop app. Why do I have to prefix everything with “desktop”? It’s not like I could add a web or IoS control to my desktop app, right? Or at least it shouldn’t let me.

5 Likes

I would imagine having different names for, e.g. the listbox in desktop vs web would clarify what is being searched for in docs and/or discussed. And would underscore differences in behavior or functionality inherent to desktop vs web.

I suppose namespaces could have been used more, e.g., Xojo.Desktop.Listbox vs Xojo.Web.Listbox. There’s no perfect answer.

In any case, what’s done is done.

New class names were needed for the renaming events …

And yes, the documentations is almos useless on many many cases…

Just looking for the WebSession Closing event (that is WRONG by the way), says something about using ShowURL, /web2 that is suposed API2 recomends using a deprecated item) but has NO LINK so…

Search for ShowURL, says compatible with “All project types on all supported operating systems” Try it… This item does not exist :roll_eyes: … search in page does not work on the ofline docs, on the top says “Please use System.GotoURL” as a replacement, try that, same error “This item does not exist” even when docs says “All project types on all supported operating systems”…

Go online, search in page for something about web… NOTING, go back to deprecated ShowURL search in page for web and is there where it says that this dont work on web…

Good question!

Then I’d had preferred a change in the documentation. E.g. when you search for Listbox, you’d get entries for each (like a link to either (“Listbox→Desktop” and “Listbox→Web”) and you make your choice). The “desktop” prefix is not only annoying (nor needed), but it defeats the purpose of autocompleting for a somewhat large area.

At worse, if the OP doesn’t talk about it, the forum has sections for each platform.

2 Likes

I just added a new issue for DesktopListbox documentation - 69800.

2 Likes

Thank you Tim for filing the issue and making people aware of it. There is so much the documentation does not include or cannot be found by a search.

Sorry, your filter produced no results

If you want to read, follow that link:
https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/69800

Funny: your entry #2 ask for what I show far above (list Properties, Methods, Events as ToC); I add a “Go to ToC” arrow to (to go back to the appropriate ToC) to allow a nice navigation experience.