New documentation is hard to love

Calling a method from within a Container?

I do not found the answer in the documentation @DesktopContainer.

And nearly every Joe / Jane Newbie ask this question.

Yes if it where to keep showing the method (maybe even in place the parameter your are typing*) this would be a great help. Currently it’s just a time waster, uninformative and requires manual mouse moving to show the info.

• Like where in between [] is highlighted, “|” is code editor cursor position:
    Code editor:
    Var my As New MyClass( |
    The bottom code editor help text:
    MyClass.Constructor([Name As String])
1 Like

This happens almost always to me.
I type into the search field and hit enter.
I guess the search is too slow and this is the result:

Strange, it works for me on iPad. What browser do you use?

I asked for XML and get:

well in xol you have only language results, it’s what you need most

2 Likes

in xol you have direct link to thread :

1 Like

What is this Xol app?

https://forum.xojo.com/t/xol-app-r6-xojo-language-and-api-in-a-menu/71829

2 Likes

it’s a simple app i made a couple days ago for my need, to acess documentation quickly and to bypass the doc sidebar. all the documentation pages will be accessible from xol.
the problem of the doc is solved for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool. Would you consider releasing the source?

yes sure,
it’s quick and dirty, gotta fix couple things, clean stuff, but it seem working.
but i renewed only lite 2022 for now, so i can put xml version, and if someone could compile it and codeit sign, i got my ids stolen with my macbook couple months ago, so can’t enroll apple dev. it take forever now in france to issue new ids pfff

1 Like

see DesktopTextField — Xojo documentation

Am I correct if there is no way to see what the superclass of this class is ? Is that missing just for this class, or is Superclass/subclass information missing entirely from all classes?

I use the Super Viewer…

Ok, so it’s not 100% hidden, but I would think that the Documentation should not be hiding superclass/subclass relationships from us, should it?

2 Likes

Myself, I don’t see a reason that the super of a unique control needs to be in the documentation, especially if the subclassed control provides the functionality that you require which isn’t present in the super.

The super selector / viewer, which is easily accessible in the inspector, provide this functionality.

I suppose I’m in the minority here, I haven’t had any issues with the new documentation nor the move to API2… But everyone is different.

1 Like

Amazingly its right at the bottom at the top of the see also section, I raised a ticket about not being able to find it and was told where it was. Intuitive. Some think its not important enough to shout about so its just a footnote that needs a ticket or a forum post to find…

3 Likes

oh wow, it is indeed, but that’s far far too subtle in my opinion.

2 Likes

Worst place ever :exploding_head:

Have you searched for “Locale”? It finds anything! If you search for “Locale.raw” it works!

1 Like