New documentation is hard to love

If you are finding that the search results are not appropriate for what you searched for, please create a case in Issues so we can get that fixed. Also, if the page that you’re looking for should have been the top result, but appears lower down the list, we want to address that too.

Can you please create a case for this so it can be corrected?

Curious, do you not have access to Issues?

Problems you encounter need to be reported in Issues and not just posted in the forum. In some instances, there may be follow-up questions and the people fixing this need to know who reported it. Or there may be other information involved that I just don’t have.

BTW the issue Thomas mentioned was fixed earlier. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well sorry but bumped into some wierd stuff lately like if you type this

and click on language line you have this

it shows the sumary of the language topic !
at this point it’s not even a bug.

sorry again, but i won’t file a report, don’t have time

plus the first line of search result “running code in a thread” shows this

this first choice is very wierd to be chosen, plus for newbies might be confusing

I just have a look and the error is still there. I just fill a case #69442.

The biggest problem is that very frequently methods and properties of classes do not show when searched. For example I search for “Middle” it completely fails to show string.middle. The same goes for Right and Left. They show text left and right but not string.

Searching for MiddleBytes only shows an example rather than the method.

Replace shows a deprecated Replace but not string.replace.

Almost all of string’s methods fail to be found.

The same goes for just about any datatype. searching for ToString only shows XML and colour items. Missing Integer.ToString, Double.ToString, Single.ToString etc

No matter what you search for you only ever seem to get 5 answers. It needs to find them all.

1 Like

+1000 Search should be able to show everything. It may show the first 5, but then there should be a Show all button.

1 Like

So file a case in Issues then. Or resign yourself to sailing the documentation seas forever, never seeing land or coming to port again.

I’ve opened lots of cases against the documentation.

The MVPs and the Xojo team have been discussing the failures of the documentation search for the past few days. I believe some changes are coming and I, for one, hope that it’s a more traditional search instead of just this severely limited typesense popup with its sometimes nonsensical results.

8 Likes

What is possible can be seen in Wikipedia. Just type ‘Xojo’ in the search field.

1 Like

It’s not just the search functions, but a lot of content seems to be missing, like what was in the old “User Guide” or whatever it was called. Just try to find anything about creating controls at runtime in the new docs. Yes, Google will turn up a blog post or two and some forum posts so it’s possible to figure it out, but if the docs aspire to being a central location for learning how to use Xojo, they have a way to go.

4 Likes

my conclusion is that it is not useable with generic english words like left, right string, ect because there is too many results and the logic engine is going mental.

yes exactly, separate the learning stuff from the reference but dependant. it is mixed right now, confusing

1 Like

Excellent news. Could this also be an occasion to review the vetting process for supporting software? Reason: a search result dialog that has a design limitation of a maximum of 5 answers is an odd choice for software documentation.

2 Likes

I have no control over that. As I said, though, I’m not a fan of the current search implementation.

1 Like

I appreciate the MVP‘s effort to facilitate communication. It is of course Xojo’s process and Xojo’s decision and I’m sure folks at Xojo are reading this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unintended consequence of API 2.

-Karen

2 Likes