New documentation is hard to love

If not in the IDE, at least in the documentation. When someone is looking for something in the documentation, usually it is because they dont know how something works… If the documentations is broken and/or wrong, guess what! there are good chances that they dont even reallize it is documentation problem.

4 Likes

didn’t read much here but bumped into this

well maybe the documentation is not in the place for external learning, because it’s hard to maintain, proof here.
maybe separate the learning from the language reference

1 Like

Of course we do. All software companies have beta testers because many software products are too large and complex for it to be practical for the company to test everything completely. Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc., all have beta testers.

I guess I’m mistaken. There seems to be no such thing as a results page in the new docs, so I can’t just use a url like https://documentation.xojo.com/search?query=words to perform a search. It’s 100% JavaScript, powered by an API that needs a key, which only provides JSON results.

So I guess I’ll keep searching the old docs.

1 Like

ooohhhh… That will be fun once customers enable the new lockDown mode (which kills Javascript) and they can’t search the new fancypants documentation.

2 Likes

mmm sorry but i search “response” in new doc i don’t find answer

i have what i wanted

i’ve seen great doc search with Algolia as search engine

4 Likes

I don’t know what fancy problem TypeSense is supposed to fix. I just find it irritating.

I made some issues for known problems:

Does it? I read that lockdown mode disables JIT JavaScript, not all JavaScript. But I admit I haven’t looked into the details.

The search in the offline language reference was so much better, faster, (stronger :musical_note:) and easier to use.

3 Likes

Another example.
I want to add shortcuts to my iOS app, none of these searches are relevant.

Old docs, first result is useful:

The new docs really need a “Results” page that list all possible results.

8 Likes

How is it then, that Help Text, one of the most useful and important features of the IDE, has remained broken since the very first day RealStudio was replaced by Xojo? I’ve heard that the IDE is written in Xojo - in all these years, not one of your developers has noticed that it doesn’t work right and has said “Gee, we should fix this, how hard can it be?”?

5 Likes

What “Help Text” are you referring to Julia? I had a quick look up the thread and couldn’t easily spot it.

Either its name has been changed or I misremembered it. In any case, it’s “Syntax Help”. In RealStudio, method signatures would appear automatically as you typed. In Xojo, the signature doesn’t appear until you stop typing and move your cursor back into what you’ve already typed with the left arrow key or mouse. Really breaks the flow when coding.

syntax help

7 Likes

Wow, I didn’t even know that Xojo has this feature because it never came to my mind moving the mouse back.

1 Like

Did the Help Text ever work differently?

my two cents:
the new documention sucks hard. In so many aspects.

6 Likes

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/27060

If no one :+1: the case it won’t be on their radar but I agree, you’d think that it would get one a devs nerves enough to be looked at but that system needs a reengineer anyway as it only shows a single signature when there can be multiple which is why it might keep getting overlooked.

2 Likes

Yes, in RealStudio it auto-filled as you typed, without your having to backtrack with the cursor.

1 Like

Way back in the stone age, the REALBasic IDE had something called the “Tips Window” that showed ALL the available signatures for the overloads.

To this day I still miss that feature badly!

-Karen

7 Likes

Yeah it sucks… You have to move the mouse or the keyboard cursor :roll_eyes:, and is way too limited, dont even have a way to see overload versions or some description of the method.

1 Like