New Documentation feedback

Then clearly you should not turn dark mode on. @MarkusR is asking for dark mode but not for the documentation.

Dark Mode have its goods…

Before I went to cataract surgeon and until sometimes after, the pre Dark Mode (El Capitan) was good for me (except for selecting text): I was able to better reaad on screen.

It was not Me :wink:
i not wrote something about dark mode.

@MarkusR I’m so sorry, you are quite right. That’s what I get for trying to use the forum on a iPhone. It was @Lars_Lehmann

We always type the URL in the browser or at least use a bookmark.
How can I use the browser built in search function with the Xojo built in help (Ctrl + F in the browser)?
Without this the help is nearly useless.

And since this bug I also will never ever hit again F1. This cost me a lot of lost work already:
<https://xojo.com/issue/67013>

2 Likes

I have a separate browser window on another screen, with a number of tabs dedicated to this forum, and any number of doc pages. This is permanently open and reopens if I restart. So typing in a URL is very rare.

<https://xojo.com/issue/58545> :frowning:

1 Like

Like @Lars_Lehmann I prefer to have the choice. I am not using dark mode everywhere, so I am running the OS on light mode. I don’t like for instance the Xojo IDE in dark mode, but I do like other tools in dark mode though. Most productive tools I am using have the choice (often a bit hidden) to chose what look & feel I want to have. It can even have its benefits simply to identify faster which window is what. Everything in light mode, and the dark window is the documentation etc.

1 Like

You don’t have to use the Documentation window. You can instead just go to documentation.xojo.com in your browser. Having said that, I agree that making Ctrl/Command-F work in the Documentation window would be useful.

Also Command-Left arrow and Command-Right arrow should go back and forward as Safari (and other browsers) would.

1 Like

Search still needs some work. If I enter a class name (eg DesktopCanvas) and then press return I am taken to some random event description half way down the page.

1 Like

Is not random, is the first thing shown under your search:

No the first thing shown is DesktopCanvas just above your red box. When I say random it is, why is it showing that Event, rather than a property, method or the class it’s self. To get the class you have to go to the third item.

Surely clicking that should take you to the Class, rather than any specific item.

Correct, and if you click that you will arrive at the first item that I put the red box (doublepressed event), both are the same (first item above the separator and first item below the separator line)

I’m just saying that it is not random. That is the first item that the typesense search is putting on that list.

I agree.

1 Like

That’s right but you said

In the past it was sometimes necessary to use a browser because the IDE contained only the language reference. Now the Documentation window in the IDE is identical to that of the browser.

And IMHO without the browser built in search function the documentation window is nearly useless.

2 Likes

Sessions should have a clear separation like:

PROPOSED:

CURRENT:

5 Likes

3 Likes

Search is a deceptively hard topic.

2 Likes

I think you means sections, rather than sessions, but yes, that looks so much better.

The Do… Loop page contains the following example:

Var x As Integer
Do Until x > 100
  Var a As Integer
  a = x + 1
Loop
MessageBox(a.ToString) // out of scope

Which would never end, as x is never modified so will never be more than 100.

1 Like