MoviePlayer doesn't loop on Windows?

I’m starting the process of rewriting one of my apps that uses QuickTime to use Windows Media now that QuickTime for Windows has been discontinued. I’ve already run into a couple of hurdles that I’ve managed to create workarounds for, but one of them I just don’t get is why looping doesn’t seem to work at all. Even if I create a new desktop application and simply drop in a movie player and a movie file, set it to autoplay and loop, it does not loop - just stops at the end of the movie.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong here? Thanks!

Bump?

If you create a fresh project with nothing else going on and the problem still persists, I’d say that’s a bug.
Consider making a feedback report :slight_smile:

You might be able to use a timer to check to see if it’s reached the end and restart it until a fix is made.

I have gone ahead and made a feedback report. However my past track record with that isn’t so great. I still have open cases from 2010!

Mine either - I still have reports open from 2008 :stuck_out_tongue:

“Neither”

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I get the same in 2.1 :frowning:
Is there a work around? I wouldn’t care its only 18 frames lol
its a AVI no sound, its a simple scene with a burning candle

edit…
oops sorry Windows 7

[quote=130046:@nige cope]I get the same in 2.1 :frowning:
Is there a work around? I wouldn’t care its only 18 frames lol[/quote]

Simply put Me.Play in the Stop event of the MoviePlayer.

You may want to add some boolean flag to test around that to be able to stop for good.

Thanks… that works but I get it flashes as it loops with the movie being so short, I think I’ll have a go at a image sequence, which I would of thought would be better for such a short loop

Or an animated gif into an HTMLVIewer.

I just tried that but the background image is 3D rendered and looks terrible at 256 colours
I’m just playing around to see how easy it would be to do a HOG type game in Xojo :slight_smile:
as it turns out very easy (apart from animation but that will come)

[quote=130066:@nige cope]I just tried that but the background image is 3D rendered and looks terrible at 256 colours
I’m just playing around to see how easy it would be to do a HOG type game in Xojo :slight_smile:
as it turns out very easy (apart from animation but that will come)[/quote]

Managing frames yourself “sprite style” seems like the best option.

Managing frames yourself "sprite style" seems like the best option. ]
What’s that? please enlighten me :slight_smile:
do you mean a sprite sheet, the animation lined up in a row?
What I’ll do is get a demo together and start a thread on problems /improvements… so far It can do things QTQuick can’t ie custom cursors :wink:

[quote=130145:@nige cope]Managing frames yourself "sprite style" seems like the best option. ]
What’s that? please enlighten me :slight_smile:
do you mean a sprite sheet, the animation lined up in a row?
What I’ll do is get a demo together and start a thread on problems /improvements… so far It can do things QTQuick can’t ie custom cursors ;)[/quote]

“Sprite style” is more like displaying pictures in succession. Using a spritesheet is fine, although it requires Drawpicture to be able to set the offset. I was also thinking of a dictionary where you place all pictures, and then it makes it easy to fetch them for display.

Ah right thanks, yes I’m trying to load them in succession
I found a nice example but I haven’t quite got it working

[code] If FrameIndex < UBound(Frames) Then
FrameIndex = FrameIndex + 1
Canvas2.Invalidate(False)

Else
Me.Mode = Timer.ModeOff
End If[/code]
the array

Frames() =Array(a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,a6,a7,a8,a9)

but I haven’t got it showing the pictures yet

[quote=130187:@nige cope]Ah right thanks, yes I’m trying to load them in succession
I found a nice example but I haven’t quite got it working

[code] If FrameIndex < UBound(Frames) Then
Canvas2.Invalidate(False)

Else
Me.Mode = Timer.ModeOff
End If[/code]
the array

Frames() =Array(a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,a6,a7,a8,a9)

but I haven’t got it showing the pictures yet[/quote]

What is Frames() ? A pictures array ? Where do you display the pictures ?

Frames() is a Picture Propertiy, a1,a2 etc are the images I imported into Xojo
which is in open on Canvas2
It was an example posted awhile back by the guy who does the Animation Kit
http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?p=243086&sid=efd5c8ffd42af455a70a3ebb630f5313#p243086

This works :

[code] Dim Frames(-1) as Picture
dim oldticks as integer = ticks
Frames = Array(user_astronaut, user_angel,user_angel_female,user_angel_female_black,user_angel_black,user_alien,user_add)

Dim FrameIndex as integer

For Frameindex = 0 to Frames.Ubound
Canvas1.Backdrop = Frames(FrameIndex)
Canvas1.Refresh
while ticks-oldticks<10
wend
oldticks = Ticks
next[/code]

The pictures are icons from the Fatcow collection dragged into the project. Invalidate did not work, so I went for Refresh. Probably because I use backdrop.

If you want to use Frames in Paint instead, you got to make Frames a window or module property. I used the Ticks loop to be able to see the different pics.

Excellent thank you! that’s works great :slight_smile:

I want to make a note here that the original (my) problem still persists. Doing me.play int he stop event does not solve the problem as another poster mentioned, it causes a momentary delay or “flash” which does NOT occur on OS X when looping is set and should not occur on Windows either. Unfortunately the nature of my flagship app requires the video to loop smoothly (as it used to when QuickTime was supported on Windows but not does not).

And flash or no flash, the “looping” property should do SOMETHING right?