Moderation

We, the moderators, do not flag posts as we take direct action if we see a violation.

I know that this isn’t the case. I know its Xojo’s forum and they can do what they want, but please don’t insult what little intelligence we have. I just hope that moderators aren’t colluding in separate channels to have content flagged so they can then justify their actions as this would be a pretty low thing to do in my humble opinion.

Leaving a post flagged hidden by the “community” when I know its been flagged by at least one moderator and not dealing with it either way by removing it or restoring its regular status is demeaning and paramount to bullying as everyone gets to see, point and stare at the public shaming when it could simply be down to a lost in translation issue or a misunderstanding. Swift action should be taken to remove the post or restore its original status instead of leaving it out to public shame, but I guess you end up in a conflict of interest as you’ve flagged the post and played a part in it’s current status and now you have to deal with it, it would seem that not dealing with it is the action the moderators now take.

We, the moderators, do not flag posts as we take direct action if we see a violation.

These are all moderators who’ve flagged posts:

I hope that those with oversight on all this (@Geoff_Perlman, @Travis_Hill ?) are actually taking note of what is happening as the community can see what is going on and it doesn’t reflect well.

1 Like

Julian, we are reasonable people and our goal is to keep the forum organized and to follow the rules set out for the community - no one is colluding or anything like that! We do typically run moderation enforcement by other moderators before taking action and we do tend to err on the side of not taking action. As I have said before, in our 20+ years we have only ever banned 3 people permanently and 2 people temporarily and in all of those cases it was entirely due to enforcement of rules.

Having said that, though it doesn’t happen often, a moderator or Xojo employee could potentially flag a post (for spam, inappropriate content, rules violations, etc) - we are members of the community too and we have been learning over the last few months how the features of this new forum software work. In that case, however, we leave it up to the other moderators to handle so as to avoid the conflict of interest. I only remember this happening a handful of times though. We leave the community flag feature on so the community can drive what posts are inappropriate or spam.

This overlooks the times we’ve flagged posts in testing the new forums or simply seeing what things look like, as well. We do create some topics and flag/action just to see what things do, and even see what it looks like from the user side. Nobody is attempting to snow anyone.

1 Like

Why was my post edited?

So you do or you don’t? Because it seems some of you are saying you don’t and now you say you do?

I see you also now have faceless unnamed moderators who seemingly use their moderation account for general browsing. Is this a step back on the thread that kicked off when moderators were first introduced then subsequently given names? What now stops a faceless moderator logging out of their moderation account into their actual account and flagging a post they take personal offence to or worse, logging out of their personal account, into their moderation account and simply removing the post?

So by virtue of the post remaining in a state of “hidden by the community” the moderators/staff did or didn’t agree with this flagging?

It seems really odd that its once again left visible to the community even though plenty of time has passed for a decision to be made by moderators/staff that the post does or doesn’t violate the rules. Aren’t these messages flagged up for review by moderators/staff? Either remove it or restore it, when you leave it in a state of “hidden by the community” it just reminds me of petty and vindictive school ground behaviour, “ha ha the ‘community’ flagged it, we’ll leave it there to shame them, we know it doesn’t violate the rules but its semi-hidden now and we don’t really want it back, the ‘people’ have spoken”. In actuality it stands out like a sore thumb and I, and I’m sure others, will take more notice of it. The fact that it’s left handing in the wind speaks more about the process than removing it ever would.

Unfortunately it’s the only data I can see. So you’re implying or stating that the flag that got you the badge was a test and you’ve not flagged a post since August 10? Are you saying that it really took almost two weeks for you to test this feature and Greg a month? Or are you saying that Alyssa’s flag badge yesterday was from a test?

Hmmm

1 Like

Then you are forming an opinion with a minuscule amount of the facts in order to perpetuate a conspiracy that, frankly, doesn’t exist as far as I’m aware.

I didn’t mention conspiracy, I’m saying what I see. You said:

and it seems that is incorrect.

If there is a conspiracy its not my doing and I’m certainly not trying to perpetuate it.

1 Like

I think this conversation is done, we are doing our best. If you have a specific concern please email me.

4 Likes