MacOS Ventura an R2019 R3.2?

Hey,

does someone tested Ventura already with the last Xojo Web 1.0 release 2019R3.2?
Or is someone able to test it?

1 Like

Looking at the problems and fixes with the latest beta, I highly doubt older Xojo versions will work on macOS 13. (Both Xojo as compiled apps).
You definitely need Xojo 2022R3

2019R3.2 was the last version with web framework 1. And Geoff said, they will „continue to support that“.
@xojo staff. Do you plan to release a Ventura-Version for 19R3.2? Or is this even necessary?

Believe me, you guys need a plan to move on or will pay a price that will be increasing each delayed month. You guys are holding a grenade without the security pin for too long. Start to think about it, even if you guys needed to rewrite something from the scratch, more than 2 years of efforts would be done by now.

1 Like

My reading of that is that they will not fix that version of Xojo to allow it to work on later versions of the operating system. They only say Web 1.0 projects already compiled will be updated to ensure it can work on updated client browsers and operating systems.

In other words, if your built app fails to work they will fix the Web 1.0 framework to allow it to run again. You will likely have to keep a machine on an older version of macOS to allow you to compile and maintain the application. You can do this using a VM, so long as you have an Intel machine.

So it is possible you will get a 2019r3.2, but I doubt it will run on Ventura.

1 Like

“While we know that the Web 2.0 framework provides a far better solution for building web applications in Xojo, we recognize that each of you needs to schedule the conversion of your project for a time that is convenient for you and your organization. Rest assured that we will provide technical support for your Web 1.0 projects in the meantime.”

My reading is “move on”, we will do the best to give you some time for your transition. At some point Xojo will say “that time wouldn’t be forever, and we decided, due to technical and administrative reasons, that now it’s over” so delaying so much is very risky.

We are about to. In fact, we started months ago. But one does not simply rewrite an application of this scale.

If they fix something for Web1, they probably will fix that in new Xojo version. I don’t think they will update an older Xojo version for doing this.
What’s stopping you for using the latest Xojo version?

Incompatible code and framework. API1 Web, they need to rewrite the app.

Um. Was the API1 stuff actually removed? I’m not doing any web-app stuff so have not been following the details at all.

Yes, Web2 is API2. Different product than Web1

Web API1 does not convert to API2. It’s not just code, the “how it works” changed completely. The UI needs a new redesign for example.

I know Web2 is completely different to Web1. I was aksing whether that means that with recent IDE versions it is no longer possible to write or modify Web1 apps.

It’s Web2 only.

The good part is that the final web product rarely will use a Mac as backend, usually such “web server” runs in a Linux box, and this part it’s not broken yet. So Web1 users can use a 2019r3.2 Xojo in some VM or Windows machine to keep their maintenance of a legacy web app.

Didn’t know that they totally removed Web1 in the latest releases. Thats odd to do so. Couldn’t both Web1 and Web2 coexist?

Not sure if they “totally removed” but what is resting there is useless.

No. Technically having 2 teams managing 2 internal competing products, yes, but administratively having such thing would be silly and expensive.

API1 and API2 do coexist and both work fine. So I would think it is the same for Web1 and Web2. Not so, apparently.

Given how old 2019r3.2 is, we do not recommend upgrading to a major new OS version without testing it on that version first. We still provide technical support for web 1 but we do not release updates to any version of Xojo except the current shipping version.

What kind of support is that?