Localization Abbreviation Help? :)

I am adding localizations for my Calendar Chooser and I was hoping for your help with the Week Day Abbreviations. I am using two letter abbreviations and if possible would like to keep it.

Could you give me the translations in two letter abbreviations for the days of the week for:

• French
  • Spanish
  • Swedish
  • German

Thanks again!

You may look here for Canadian French.

Maybe this will help: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CalendarLocalization

Hopefully Stephan will see this also, but Louis for France French are the abbreviations different from French Canadian? Thank you!

I could not tell. The link that I provided is where I get my own information for my local market. This is the official Quebec Government reference site. All official Quebec communications will use the standards, terminology, etc. found on this site. France and other francophone countries may have different norms.

Otherwise, it would be just too easy. :wink:

check out http://www.openphrase.org/
they may or may not have it translated already. or they can help you with it.

sb

beware. Openphrase is a great tool that suffers from one important flaw: just about anyone can create translations, and you will get “everyone can understand this” versus “technically correct” I pointed out one such case alread ( “Edit” is incorrectly translated to French The translation that is there “diter” will be understood by most as the English meaning, but technically means to publish, as in publish a newspaper, etc.)

Google Translate should work for simple words/phrases… would not trust it to be accurate for a paragraph or more other than getting the “meaning” across

Translation is tricky! “fromage rap” should not be translated by “raped cheese”. :wink: (it really means grated cheese.) I like this example, because it is a pretty clear example where similar words carry completely different meanings across languages.

I agree with Dave that Google can do a decent job, but there also you can get “funny” translations. Hence, I usually try to use official sources where possible: ISO standards, governement reference sites, etc.

Google Translate got that one right even… with and with out the ’ mark

Indeed. my comment pertained more to Openphrase than Google, which will get short sentences right more often than not.

Dutch: :slight_smile:

Days
Monday = ma (maandag)
Tuesday = di (dinsdag)
Wednesday = wo (woensdag)
Thursday = do (donderdag)
Friday = vr (vrijdag)
Saturday = za (zaterdag)
Sunday = zo (zondag)

Please notice that we don’t use a capital in our days (and months)

Months
January = januari
February = februari
March = maart
April = april
May = mei
June = juni
July = juli
August = augustus
September = september
October = oktober
November = november
December = december

I started there and found myself guessing at the abbreviations. Thanks!

German:

Mo (Montag) = monday
Di (Dienstag) = tuesday
Mi (Mittwoch) = wednesday
Do (Donnerstag) = thursday
Fr (Freitag) = friday
Sa (Samstag) = saturday
So (Sonntag) = sunday

Missed the “abbreviations” part… and Mike… you realize in the US the “standard” for Days of week is 3 char
(Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat)…

http://cldr.unicode.org

[quote=81547:@Mike Cotrone]Could you give me the translations in two letter abbreviations for the days of the week for:

French

Hopefully Stephan will see this also, but Louis for France French are the abbreviations different from French Canadian? Thank you![/quote]

There is no difference. But as Dave pointed out, abbreviations in French just like in the US are in three letters, not two. Although it probably can be understood as

LU = Monday
MA = Tuesday
ME = Wednesday
JE = Thursday
VE = Friday
SA = Saturday
DI = Sunday

But it is not standard, even if it remains intelligible.

Thanks Michel!! I did adapt my spacing to achieve three letter abbreviations so far with French. Sorry for the delay as we had some baby chick (chickens) emergencies this PM.

Thanks!

[quote=81586:@Dave S]Missed the “abbreviations” part… and Mike… you realize in the US the “standard” for Days of week is 3 char
(Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat)…[/quote]
Yeah I do… but…
I copied Apple’s calendar two letter for US :slight_smile: No biggie as I can add that as another option since it is already there in an array.
Thanks!

How does the spacing look for the three letter abbreviations?