Little Xojo Conference in UK

no problem. I just remind a few people to see if some more are interested.

RESEARCH
I’m looking to buy the Oyster Card at £30…?
Will it be possible to get it my mail before I departure or is it better to buy at location?
https://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/london-visitor-oyster-card/

I will stay for 4 nights.

From the site: “Here for 3-4 days? Get a £30 card. You can always add more credit at a Tube station, ticket machine or Oyster ticket stop if you run out.”

I will arrive/departure from Heathrow. The direction above was valuable! But if I can buy this card at Heathrow, then… maybe it’s better for me?

Colliers wood is next to the hotel:

I’ll Stay at Holiday Inn

Ah! I think I might as well go with your directions!
I don’t mind the small walk. Maybe 30-45 minutes, from Wimbledon station.

Green Par - Waterloo = 17 stations
Leicester Square = 20 stations.

look at the link to get the oyster card at heathrow.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k5771839-Exactly_where_can_one_buy_a_Oyster_Card_in_Heathrow_Airport-London_England.html

Don’t forget to factor in when you are due to arrive.

That whole region around Victoria/Green Park/Leicester Square/Charing Cross/Waterloo is commuter territory and can get VERY (read stupid!) busy 08:00 - 10:00 and 16:30 - 18:00 - best avoided.

From Heathrow - on the Piccadilly Line - Around the bad times I’d either;

• For Wimbledon - I’d change at Earls Court to the District Line to Wimbledon - it’ll take the heat out of the commuter world as your skirting it. (If your going to the main hotel, I personally wouldn’t bother trying to get to South Wimbledon, I’d go to Wimbledon and walk)
  • For Colliers Wood. I’d change at Gloucester Road to the Circle or District Lines, then change at Victoria to the Victoria Line Southbound to Stockwell. Then from Stockwell, it’s Northern Line Southbound to Colliers Wood. Victoria may get a bit sticky getting off the tube as it’s a mainline station, but it shouldn’t be too bad if your going southbound and not leaving the tube station itself.

patrick, are you joining us on 27th

No can do - Christians asked a few times :wink:

Too busy on a project to spare the time I’m afraid…

We hope you can work a lot the next days, so you can get a day free or at least an evening.

Thank you all for the valuable advice!

[quote]Post 26: From TripAdvisor:
Yes anyone can buy a standard Oyster at Heathrow.

The visitor card is an barely disguised attempt by TfL to screw extra money out of unsuspecting visitors[/quote]

I think it’s better to buy the Oyster card at Heathrow. I might as well buy the ordinary…(??) Not the tourist. I know, there is a £5 fee for that card. Maybe it’s still less confusing!?

Thank you Patrick for the advice in the underground!
I’ll arrive on Thursday at 14:00, so… all I need to do that day is to go to the hotel and then join the others.
Going back, I leave on Monday on 9:55.
I might as well get up EARLY in the morning, walk to Wimbledon to avoid the morning hours in the centre…

Or, If I can be at Victoria around 7 in the morning, I think I’m safe for the journey.
I mean, if it’s pouring, it’s not at all pleasant to walk! :slight_smile:

OK, I’ve read some more at TripAdvisor. I think I get no wiser.
I think I’ll talk with the sales person at arrival, to see how much money to add to the card. He/she knows. I’m sure!
I don’t know where I arrive. Terminal 5, I believe.

I need to get from / to the hotel. Nothing on Friday, … and on Saturday and Sunday, to go in the town, somewhere. Docklands?
I shall look for things to do! There are two more weeks to look! :slight_smile:

Thank you again for all advice! There will be plenty of signs at Heathrow. Also, people to ask!
Now I’m confidence! This will be so much fun!!!

I found and I’d like to make a visit to the Design Museum.
It’s not that far from the Tower Bridge. However, quite far from any underground station…! As it seems!

Forget Docklands - thats part of our Financial centre - nothing really to see…

Hampton Court Palace isn’t a million miles away - beautiful… Link
You could tie in Hampton Court with a cruise down the Thames from Kew…

Blenheim Palace is incredible but that’s a 2 hour drive from Wimbledon.

• or -

Get the river taxi roamer ticket - board at Putney which is the end of the line and cruise up the river, taking in ALL the sights and you can get off and explore…
link

I think a roamer ticket is about £15 and you get full, unlimited travel on the Thames so you jump on/off as you please…

Westminster, London Eye, perhaps British Museum?, Thames River Boat Cruise, The Tower & Tower Bridge, Regent and Oxford Street, perhaps the Designer Outlet Store close to Wembley?

Jakob you should also check https://www.londonpass.com/

Definitely, this will be fun for sure :wink:

Regent Street/Oxford Street are tourist nightmares but at THAT time of the year… I wouldn’t! All it is are shops anyway.

London Eye - make sure you get your tickets in advance, preferably with fast track - the queues can get looooong.

[quote=228911:@Patrick Delaney]Regent Street/Oxford Street are tourist nightmares but at THAT time of the year… I wouldn’t! [/quote] Oh you’re right… I should reconsider this :wink:

This is why I have London Pass :wink: free entry and fast track everywhere…

Didn’t think London Pass covered London Eye?

I thought it but you made me to check this twice and you’re right on this… well… hope the queue won’t be too long…

But I need your direction on that most: Where’s the best pub in London to drink a pint (or more) and talk about soccer :wink:

Well I hate football with a passion you would not believe :slight_smile:

There are so many pubs in London, where do you start!!

Haha soccer is over estimated. Lets take girls, fast cars or… in case nothing else will catch our attention… software developing :wink:
Looking forward lads…

I’m sure, a pub will not be difficult to find while at location…! :slight_smile:

I’ve been to Docklands before so I have something to compare to! I like to look at buildings, people and infrastructure in general.
I’m not at all afraid to walk and walk and walk…!

I’ve been in London before and there should be a “house of video games” in the central part. Either Picadilly or Leiescter square.
In the spring of 1998, there were two escalators and then a house full of all kinds of video games…

I’m not a gamer! No! But still, it would be interesting to look at. I think! :slight_smile:

Christian!
What about Thursday evening!? If there were only a few people, finding a place to eat would be easy, but if we are that many it may be more difficult… I mean, to do at random!?

People are usually picky at food and so am I. No McDonald’s! :slight_smile: Other than that, all will do. Fish and chips… wrapped in a paper…! And a cold lager on top of that! What a thrill! Ha!

Or… maybe we shall just “see what happens once we get there!?” Just a thought!