Linux IDE editor very slow

[quote=129339:@Norman Palardy]I honestly can’t fathom why it would be OK for me on a couple VM’s yet not on your real machine.
Video drivers DO make a HUGE difference.
Make sure you are not running in a software only rendering mode (that can be a fair bit slower)[/quote]

I tested on a real PC with equivalent results.

Thanks for the tests Norman. I dont mind using a different distro, just need one that Xojo doesnt crawl under.

Believe me…I WANT Xojo to work quicker…I WANT to buy it but it must run quicker than on my LM17 desktop and Debian laptop.

I have Linux Mint 16 on VirtualBox and it runs fine considering its limited ram. not the right video drivers and only uses half the chip

However I have notice when you run a project Xojo’s memory usage increases from 400 meg to 1gb and progressively increases by about 5% every time I run it or more memory is used using the reference guide… as a beta tester for a 3D renderer this indicates a memory leak somewhere or maybe Xojo caches the build … but 600meg ?

On Linux or Windows I haven’t seen a drastic slow down, I’m using the MATE desktop which is very light weight or on my old laptop that uses Mint 13 Maya which is great if things run badly or use a SIS video card and Xojo is ok considering its on a single core

In my experience, I’ve never got the Linux version to run even decently on ANY distro. I’ve tried all variations of Linux Mint (which I personally find to be an awesome distro) as it was suggested to be the more responsive. It was pure hell… and there’s no way I could develop on it. This one road-block kept me from ditching Windows altogether (I despise Microsoft and it’s crappy OS, and it gets worse with every release, etc. I find their crap too bloated, etc.). Unfortunately, I’m now back on a Windows 8.1 system. I too, would like to see Linux get a little more love… but don’t see it happening for awhile. I know it’s not our problem, and Xojo needs to manage things better; however, these guys have so much on their plate already… I don’t know how they do it. I can tell with the tension in the forums lately, the entire community is feeling it (rumors of things that are supposed to be here, or actual statements that weren’t delivered on, bugs that have been sitting around for years, etc.) Other platforms are moving ahead (Kivy w/ Python is looking pretty tempting at the moment for cross-platform), and they all support everything that Xojo is currently having trouble just now implementing (and they have for a long while). Norman, Greg, etc. are all good people, and they have a lot on their plate. I just don’t see how they are going to be able to keep up without help at the current pace. Until Xojo gets more people under their belt, I don’t expect much change to take place. The gap that once made RB/Xojo unique in the industry is one that is closing, and quickly… and that’s cross-platform development. It’s a new fever in the industry, and everybody is catching on.

I can have that on my MacBook Pro i7 / 8 cores and this is not related to Xojo, it can happens without any running software.

@Emile Schwarz

great. but my topic is Linux… create your own if you’re talking about a Mac.

[quote=129670:@alex bartonek]@Emile Schwarz

great. but my topic is Linux… create your own if you’re talking about a Mac.[/quote]

Well… Not to contradict, but Linux can be installed on a Mac. Or used with a live CD.

That said, I did not understand Emile point about slowdown with no running software anyway. Zilch to do with topic :wink:

About topic, there was mention by Nige Cope of Linux Mint Mate as possibly faster. I do not really have time to try, but any speed gain is good to get.

I know this kind of defeats the purpose… But what about running a VM in Linux, and have Windows running inside the VM? If the Xojo IDE runs fast enough inside the Windows VM, use it to do your basic coding, testing, and debugging. Then save it in Windows, load your project in Linux Xojo, and Build for Linux.

Or, if it works and runs at a decent speed, try running the Windows version of Xojo in Linux using WINE.

Also, if you install a different Desktop (ie: Gnome, Mint, Cinnamon, xfce, KDE, etc) on your Debian box, does that make any difference?
Just curious if it the problem is caused by the Desktop or by something else in the Distro.

No big changes (so far):

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away

Still using 64Bit Linux Mint (Qiana now) on main machine, 32Bit for HTMLViewer stuff in virtualbox. Both with XFCE. Tried Cinnamon, which was nice and fast too. KDE, Unity/Gnome, MATE i tried out, but went back to XFCE window manager. XFCE is not that shiny, but faster than the others. Using Thunar for my default file manager (instead of Nemo), but otherwise the standard Qiana from DVD/the web.

[quote=130796:@Seth Hopkinson]I know this kind of defeats the purpose… But what about running a VM in Linux, and have Windows running inside the VM? If the Xojo IDE runs fast enough inside the Windows VM, use it to do your basic coding, testing, and debugging. Then save it in Windows, load your project in Linux Xojo, and Build for Linux.

Or, if it works and runs at a decent speed, try running the Windows version of Xojo in Linux using WINE.[/quote]

I’d chuckle a little if the Windows version runs quicker thru wine. I have a Macbook Pro that I used to do some editing of my window on but when I transferred the code back to my Linux box, some boxes were not the correct size, so I had to edit them on the Linux side which took forever. So for now I’m just dealing with running it on Debian for now. My little project is just about done which is good. I’ll end up registering Xojo in the next few weeks once its completely finished.

[quote=130939:@Thomas Rottensteiner]No big changes (so far):

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away

Still using 64Bit Linux Mint (Qiana now) on main machine, 32Bit for HTMLViewer stuff in virtualbox. Both with XFCE. Tried Cinnamon, which was nice and fast too. KDE, Unity/Gnome, MATE i tried out, but went back to XFCE window manager. XFCE is not that shiny, but faster than the others. Using Thunar for my default file manager (instead of Nemo), but otherwise the standard Qiana from DVD/the web.[/quote]

Hopefully sometime this week I’ll get time to install LM 32 with XFCE in a VM to test this.

The problem seems to be with the IDE. The apps written in Xojo seem to run fine even in Gnome. I use the Awesome window manager to do Xojo coding in Xojo on Zorin OS and I don’t have any slow down issues. I actually like having a separate WM for coding then regular use as it keep things clean.

So if you are having problems in Linux with Xojo try installing Awesome or Openbox/Fluxbox or even xfce and it should run much better.

Does not tell much, when you don’t tell us, on what hardware. :slight_smile:

Alex, did you get a chance to install Linux Mint? I think it’s the best one for the Xojo IDE. There’s still work that needs to be done of course to make Xojo better on Linux but Mint seems to be the best.

All - as an addition to this discussion, the issue isn’t GNOME or GTK, but rather the actual Desktop manager that you use. For those of you stuck on the differences, here’s a great article on different Desktop Managers for Ubuntu (and any other Debian-based distro).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Alternative-Desktop-Managers-in-Ubuntu-48586.shtml

To come back to this topic:

Latest release is even more pain than ever - I’m unable to run the IDE in a Virtual machine (It does not matter if it is slackware or debian derivate) without waiting 10 seconds after every click.

The only solution is to run it on a Linux host with not too big projects - but also here I got a very high processor usage like in a very bad java program.

It seems that there is some wrong usage of libfontconfig:

Samples: 41K of event 'cycles:uppp', Event count (approx.): 31928579606
  Children      Self  Command        Shared Object                                                                                                                                                         
+   55,33%     0,21%  Xojo           [unknown]                                                                                                                                                            
+   45,49%    45,49%  Xojo           libfontconfig.so.1.9.0                                                                                                                                                
+   29,27%     5,74%  Xojo           Xojo                                                                                                                                                                  
+   28,97%    18,69%  Xojo           XojoGUIFramework64.so                                                                                                                                                 
+   26,83%    11,80%  Xojo           libc-2.26.so                                                                                                                                                          
+   16,55%     1,91%  Xojo           libgtk-3.so.0.2200.25                                                                                                                                                 
+    3,64%     1,53%  Xojo           libSQLiteDatabase64.so    

But I bet again, that no Xojo-dev will care about this or want to fill in a bug-report that will only get attention when I can explain how to reproduce this…

I would understand this in an Open source project - but not not for this amount of money I put in this average piece of software.

Whenever making a statement like this, it’s extremely important to mention the type of machine, cpu type and speed and amount of memory you have. If you’re running the OS in a VM, the virtualization software and VM configuration are helpful too.

Hi Greg,

I wanted to make clear, that the problem and profiling results are the same for Linux-VMs and Non-Linux-VMs.

On a VM it is nearly impossible to work with the Xojo-IDE. On a Linux Host it is possible to work with the Xojo IDE but it feels as laggy as a overblown Eclipse.

And I tried it on shiny new Suses, Ubuntus, Gentoos.

I think I can assert that my hardware is sufficient and the implications of it will NOT affect the mentioned library calls…

I see these slow downs as well. It’s worse on a VM, but it still occurs on a real system. I’ve submitted feedback reports, but there’s no consistent way to reproduce the slow down. At first it appears to depend on how long the IDE has been running. Then, I see the slow down immediately upon a fresh restart with a project but with 10+ tabs open. Then, I see it with the IDE just sitting for long periods at the New Project dialog with nothing else going on and I try to open an existing project - click, wait 30 seconds, loading starts, loading takes far longer than usual for the same project, Linux reports that the IDE has stopped responding.

I’ve seen a simple Copy and Paste of a 12 line method take over 30 seconds and then seen the same operation occur almost instantly. I’ve seen clicks in the code editor not move the cursor for long seconds. I’ve seen the use of Shift-Click to select a range of text not fire unless I hold the click for at least a 3 count.

My main Linux system is a 4.0GHz i7 with 16 GB of RAM and a GeForce 1060Ti with 4GB, and an SSD as the system drive.
For my Fusion VMs, I assign 2 cores, 4GB RAM, 1024MB of Video RAM, and set the temp folder to RAM.
[EDIT] - Principle Linux is Debian/Mint 18.0 upgraded, but I also test on Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, and generic Debian - all 64bit with the 32bit libs installed.

I wish that I could provide a consistent set of actions that would duplicate all of this, but it’s so variable, I just can’t pin it down.