Linux IDE editor very slow

Yes. I believe Xojo IDE has become a new fisher-price product with those big icons. Soon you might find it on this site as well: http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/Products/FindaProduct/index.html :slight_smile:

[quote=25080:@Stephane REVILLARD]Code editor is very very slow with Xojo 2013R2 with Ubuntu 13.04 and i7 processor. The size of my Xojo Binary Project is 5,7 Mo.

The editor is so slow that I can not edit the code correctly !!![/quote]

I just installed 2013r2 on a fast machine with Debian7.
It’s a complete joke to try to code/edit anything with Xojo. 2-3 second with every change you make in the Inspector. Even selecting object causes a 2-3 secs delay. Is it possible to revert to an older version RealStudio etc?

I tried running an application on Ubuntu and the app runs very slow too. I did the usual user thing of clicking twice because I was waiting so long for it to start and I ended up with two copies on screen after many seconds. The same app is quick to load on Windows and probably quicker on my Mac.

It struck me after writing the above (doh!) that since Xojo IDE is written in Xojo and my app is written in Xojo - the cause(es) of the poor performance are probably the same thing(s).

The comment below suggests that it could be a fundamental performance issue such as string or graphics rendering for example, that is compounded many times to produce such sluggishness

A bit of profiling and/or debugging to establish the cause?

Xojo 2013r2 on RedHat Enterprise Client 6.3 is basically unusable it’s so slow.

We’ve done some things to speed the IDE up on Linux so you may want to try 2013r3 when it’s available.

Xojo 2013r31 is still extremely slow, completely unusable. I’m testing it in a machine with a i7 and 32GB of RAM running Ubuntu 13.04.

I thought that the problem I had with Xojo was referred to the fact I was using a not too powerful computer (a Sony Vaio Intel Atom 1.6 GHz with 2 Gb of RAM). Even though I’m using Lubuntu and mostly everything runs surprisingly fast.

My biggest concern came when I installed Real Studio 2011 under the Wine layer, and it run faster than the Xojo 2013 version. As a matter of fact, it looks as if the Xojo environment were running under Wine too.

Now I see that the problem might not be due to my computer. The free Gambas environment runs extremely fast.

I posted a thread about the slowness of the Windows IDE. This slowness appeared suddenly. After going back to a previous saved project I noticed that this slowness was caused by defining a structure with more than a certain amount of element. Deleting the structure brought back the normal response.

Windows IDE is not usable this way, it is going slower and slower at each new method I add to my project. I have to wait seconds to just be able to read what I’m writing.

Is it possible to export my project to the old format and continue working on Real Studio 2011 ?

Do you use any structures in your project?
I solved it by creating a second project and cut/paste different modules to the 2nd project and see how the original project behaves. I noticed that moving/deleting a structure fixed this issue. So move your modules, check and copy back.

Alexander, thanks for your answer. Your suggestion didn’t works for me, as soon as I add a few of the modules it’s slow again.

Finally I have tried to save the project in xml format instead of binary and this seems to work fine. Before I disabled antivirus ( Avast) for my project folder and also used Ccleaner with no luck.

Hope it continues working, it was really unusable, for my desperation.

V2014 R2 on Debian Linux 7.6 is veeerrryyy slow.

In Linux Mint 32 bit Cinnamon, it is faster than under Windows :slight_smile:

See https://forum.xojo.com/10806-xojo-perf-varies-greatly-by-distro

Norman, Michel,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately my i5 laptop uses Debian buuutttt…I do have a spare desktop that I will install Mint on. I will give it a shot. If it helps…that’ll be cool.

[quote=122828:@alex bartonenk]Norman, Michel,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately my i5 laptop uses Debian buuutttt…I do have a spare desktop that I will install Mint on. I will give it a shot. If it helps…that’ll be cool.[/quote]

You know, you can install mint as double boot too.

Or just add the cinnamon window manager/desktop user interface according to this description to test if it’s faster than the original wm:

cinnamon on debian

I did this in a virtualbox with both 32bit and 64bit just for
fun. Worked. You can switch between the 2 UIs on every login. Or set 1 to the default.

I give up. I’m not going to waste my time or more importantly my money on such a poor IDE. This is by far the worst IDE I have ever used. It is so horribly slow. I’ll finish my simple little project for a friend and just show him how to run Xojo, then open recent projects and run. That will save me $100. Then I’ll migrate to a proper IDE and a different language.

Whomever is responsible for putting together this crap IDE should do some testing and pick out a Linux distro which Xojo works PROPERLY and FAST under. Otherwise I recommend Linux users to stay away.

Just loaded 2014r2.1 into a Ubuntu 13.10 (32 bit) VM with 2 cores & 4Gb memory & only 32 Mb of video ram dedicated to it. (yes 32 MB) :stuck_out_tongue: (I’ve adjusted it to 512 Mb)
Edited the IDE (which is a pretty substantial project).
It’s definitely not as quick as on OS X - but not horrid. Not sure how much of this is the new Unity UI as its been slower since Ubuntu introduced it (and there are some things we’re looking into that may have an impact)
And after giving it a bit more video memory the VM is quite a bit better - but still not quite OS X speeds.

Just set up & installed 32 bit Linux Mint 17 with Cinnamon (VM with 2 cores & 4Gb memory & 512 Mb of video ram)
Again edited the IDE
And it is much better under 32 bit Mint 17 with Cinnamon than Ubuntu
Very usable here.

Can’t run it on the Centos VM I have as thats set up with no GUI etc to test server functionality

I honestly can’t fathom why it would be OK for me on a couple VM’s yet not on your real machine.
Video drivers DO make a HUGE difference.
Make sure you are not running in a software only rendering mode (that can be a fair bit slower)