Last Xojo version to use for Mac OSX 10.6

Kind of kills the Mac Total cost of ownership advantage argument…

BTW I buy a new personal Mac every 4 years (financing permitting) and that has worked out well for me (and the family member who gets the 4 year old machine) so far.

Given the cost of Macs, if I was forced to replace hardware every three years, as much as I like Macs, I would go Windows.

• Karen

Yeah thats the same kind of argument that people were making against Linux support. They believe that Xojo should support old Linux versions for longer.

Real Studio 2013r3 was suitable for your purposes and you were content to run on it your machine thus far. Just because 2013r4 has some newer features that requires a new environment does not invalidate your purchase or original feelings. It just means unless you are on the same tech advancement speed as Apple you won’t necessarily see the benefits of so-called “progress.”

I’m not sure Xojo is the right channel for disappointment that technology advances so quickly! We should be grateful they are staying on top of the platforms as opposed to having to play catch up years later like with Cocoa.

Not really - you don’t have to update your machine every 3 years.
Macs from 2007 and 2008 are supported by Mavericks (see http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/) - so you can run the latest OS on them.
Whats not usually supported is “new versions of software run well on old versions of OS X”.
Developers (like you guys) always want to use the latest & greatest things & that requires updates to the OS.

Thats whats pushed us to have to drop support for OS X 10.6

NO
I require stable environment.
I always wait at least 6 months after a system release to eventually switch, after (apple) customers did the debug for free …
then I ask : do I need this system ? what are the benefit(s) ?
that’s why I’m still on 10.6.8 today and happy with that.

[quote=54006:@jean-yves pochez]NO
I require stable environment.
I always wait at least 6 months after a system release to eventually switch, after (apple) customers did the debug for free …
then I ask : do I need this system ? what are the benefit(s) ?
that’s why I’m still on 10.6.8 today and happy with that.[/quote]

Just need to read the threads on getting submissions errors using Xojo that still uses QTKit
https://forum.xojo.com/7307-submiting-to-mac-app-store-and-getting-quicktime-api-error
We HAVE to move from that to the newer AVFoundation so people can still submit apps to the App Store
We don’t have a choice IF developers want to submit to the app store

The choice you made to drop 10.6 support may be technically justified but you should have communicate on this matter before.

You should warn your customers some time before a big feature drop, just like you do for a big feature add like Cocoa, 64 bits, LLVM, IDE… This would give us 3 to 5 years to get prepared :slight_smile:

Perhaps a few months should be enough.

BTW If we compile for carbon on R4.1, those apps still won’t run on 10.6.8?

Gnagnagna boo snif grr

I will simply use 3.3 to be able to support 10.6 and be grateful that through new versions I will be able again in the future to submit graphic apps to the app store.

All this whining I read is appalling. I see Christmas is coming… Rotten brats are never satisfied. They want their cake and eat it too, and always want another gift :wink:

Xojo has no choice on the matter and needs to support the newest Apple requirements. This means the onus is on us if we want to support 10.6, and it’s a pretty simple fix. Either:

A) Do your development in r3.3 for the meantime and don’t download r4.
B) Or do you development in r4, and keep a copy of 3.3 on your machine to build for older OS versions. We did this to ease the transition when we phased out Universal Binary and it worked perfectly fine for over a year. Older versions of RB/Xojo are generally good at opening the newer formats. Just be sure to either open a copy of your project, or simply don’t save the project in the older Xojo (to ensure it doesn’t mess anything up with the newer version you’re using).

10.4 use right now is almost unheard of, and 10.5 is getting there as well. This will be 10.6 in a year or so, and it’s up to you if you want to smooth the transition until then. Apple also made it a lot easier on developers by just giving away the upgrades for free.

This is ridiculous … I’m expected to tell clients who use osx 10.6 that they have upgrade their operating systems? Any software should support backward at least a little. This is like telling a windows user that windows 7 is too old just because windows 8 has been published.

https://forum.xojo.com/7709-what-features-require-10-7-in-xojo-r4

that’s finaly the first real good technical reason to leave 10.6
well in fact not technical but $$$ reason :wink: anyway a good reason.

I just regret like other members that you did not warn us before !
such an important change must have been written on the real blog months before the thing happens.
that’s really a communication non sense.
you show us fancy things about christmas kids programming,
about the french translation you dont want to support anymore (I’m french and I dont care about that)
but NOTHING on 10.6 leaving ? come on.

[quote=54119:@jean-yves pochez]such an important change must have been written on the real blog months before the thing happens.
that’s really a communication non sense.[/quote]

There was NO warning from Apple. They suddenly started to reject apps.

It’s not as if you could not support 10.6 anymore… 3.3 works fine.

dont tell me it took you less than an hour to restrict xojo to 10.7 !
as if apple sended you an email and an hour later you were forced to change xojo ?

I program on Real Studio 2012 r2.1 and I buil app with it to OS 10.5. And I build another version for 10.6 and higher with Xojo r3.3. Now, I will continue this for 10.6 only and build for 10.7 and higher with Xojo r4.1.
Pffff, it’s boring.
I don’t know if my Mac are able to run last OS (10.9 that’s it ?). I don’t know what to do, Xojo you make me sad just some days before Christmas :’( .

I’m kidding, I’m fine. I will search if my Mac can run OS X 10.9 .
If someone here knows, here is :

MacBook Pro 17-inch, Early 2008, MacBookPro4,1, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300, Penryn, 2.5 GHz

Note jean-yves pochez : Si vous tes celui que je crois, vous avez chang ma carte mre il y a 2 ans environ.
I’ve an iMac bought same day, it’s the same (Core 2 Duo etc.).

Edit 2 : I thought I could run Xojo r4.1 on OS 10.6.8 but not run the app build with it. But I’m not sure. Can I build app with Xojo r4.1 on OS X 10.6.8 ?

[quote=54167:@Thomas ROBISSON]If someone here knows, here is :

MacBook Pro 17-inch, Early 2008, MacBookPro4,1, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300, Penryn, 2.5 GHz[/quote]

OS X 10.7+ is required for both the IDE and built apps as of r4.1.

And yes, you can upgrade to OS X 10.9 for free on that machine.

[quote=54126:@jean-yves pochez]dont tell me it took you less than an hour to restrict xojo to 10.7 !
as if apple sended you an email and an hour later you were forced to change xojo ?
[/quote]

You’re fishing for justification and “accountability” that you’re not going to get. If any of us were coding our products in Xcode, the decision to ratchet up minimum system requirements for our products would be a complicated decision. It would be based on factors such as current market requirements, availability of features, revenue from legacy systems, etc. In making the Xojo language and IDE accessible to many of us, Xojo the company necessarily has to make these decisions for us. They have to make them in an economically sustainable way. For example, would legacy support for 10.6 be worth keeping as a quickly diverging “platform”? My back of the envelope tells me it would depend on sales of hundreds of pro licenses from developers strictly dedicated to 10.6. Often, as a developer, you just find yourself in an unsustainable corner and you need to hop over someplace that can continue to thrive.

[quote=54126:@jean-yves pochez]dont tell me it took you less than an hour to restrict xojo to 10.7 !
as if apple sended you an email and an hour later you were forced to change xojo ?[/quote]

Apple gives us no warning of when they will implement specific changes
At most we find out when we get the next developer release etc
It’s perhaps one of the things that Apple REALLY needs to copy from MS - their developer relations are lacking.

You should be able to run 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Isn’t the real problem here that Xojo can’t easily support App Store builds and support 10.6.

In order to create App Store acceptable builds Xojo must update all QtKit code to AVFoundation code. AVFoundation isn’t even available in 10.6, so they can either support 10.6 and not create App Store builds, or build for the App Store and not support 10.6.

It seems like a rock and a hard place to me.

I guess they could leave a whole bunch of legacy stuff in Xojo for 10.6 builds and add new AVFoundation code in for 10.7+, but I’d bet that would be a lot more work and I can’t see it being worth it for an OS that has had support discontinued by Apple.