Kudos to Geoff and Xojo

Given the fact that I cannot read the minds of each and every user, that’s certainly true that I have to make assumptions. We also do surveys several times per year but even then, not every user takes the time to respond. Having said that, our response rates tend to be higher than industry averages.

All we have to consider from users is the information we receive from them. Feedback is a good method because it’s organized, it allows people to comment on any case, vote for the cases that are most important to them, be informed when new information is available, etc., but again it’s not the only system we use.

No system is perfect to be sure. At some point we each make the best decisions we can make with the information we have. We don’t have a hard and fast rule about exactly how we will prioritize cases as we believe that flexibility is a good thing.

As an example, only a few users asked that we add a pressed event to the WebCanvas but since it was relatively easy and a showstopper for those users, we added it. If we stuck to cases strictly by demand in raw numbers, we would have prioritized other cases instead.

Prioritizing conflicting demands without unlimited resources is challenging. I remember Walt Mossberg asking Steve Jobs why they had not added a particular feature to the iPhone. Jobs replied, “Well, Apple has limited resources.”

Yes, even a company the size of Apple has limited resources. We don’t like that of course. No one likes being limited. No one likes having to make difficult choices but that’s a simple fact of life.

What I do know is that the Xojo team is filled with dedicated and passionate people who work hard every day to make it the best it can be. You may not always agree with every decision we make but that’s true of every organization that each of us is associated with.

Still, that we can at least have constructive discussions is a good thing.

And may have made many more customers be happier again with your product…

One might wonder if it were easy why it wasn’t put in there from the start considering the feature was in the previous edition I suspect people were under the impression that the feature would be carried forward into the new version. Ah right, yes, probably lack of time, lack of initial design, tunnel vision or the concept of keeping things as simple as possible to the detriment of the product.

I’ve just searched my email body and subject for survey, the last one I had from Xojo was 2nd July 2019 titled “Will you tell us about your Xojo experience?”. Do you have the dates of the “several surveys a year” so I can check that I got them? Maybe the lack of responses is because they aren’t getting to us?

Do you hand on heart actually believe this or is this a comment you pass around when trying to make a point? I lost all faith in the feedback system and I lost faith in the usefulness you personally take in it and that Xojo takes as a whole in the content of feature requests and feedback when the following happened on a ticket I put in:

<https://xojo.com/issue/52698>

52698 - Getting Started where next?
The new Getting Started screen could really use a “Lets Go”, “Start Creating” or some similarly worded button to show new people to Xojo what needs to be done next as crossing the window to continue is a little counter intuitive. There is literally nothing that says what someone should do next to get stuck in.

The feature request is still marked as visible to me, prerelease testers and Xojo even though the feature has now been in the public domain for over two years. This means that regular users can’t see this feature request, and therefor cannot assign points to it, something that you repeatedly say that users should do if something is of concern to them or its something they think Xojo should consider to be addressed.

I posted that suggestion as soon as the (then) new getting started screen became available for testing. I could see where your UI failed for new users who will be the target demographic for such a feature and I made a simple suggestion trying to improve your product.

The ticket was seen by Greg 5 days later, 15th July 2018 and has not been looked at since. I know its not been looked at because you made the exact suggestion 1.5 years later.

<https://xojo.com/issue/58919>

58919 - Welcome to Xojo window doesn’t make it clear how to create a new project.
When a new user first launches Xojo, they see the Welcome to Xojo window. See the enclosed screenshot. Unfortunately, this window doesn’t make it clear how to start a project. It gives a lot of resources, but if the user wants to just start exploring the IDE, it’s not obvious that to do that, you must close the Welcome to Xojo window.

I suggest that we expand the section at the bottom where the “Don’t show again” button is and add a “Explore Xojo” button the left hand side. All the button has to do is close the window.

Don’t be under any illusion that what you see above was an isolated incident, it has happened many times in the four years I’ve been putting feedback tickets in but this one was literally the straw the broke the camels back. What rubs me up the wrong way is that your feedback request was seen and implemented in under an hour and my suggestion was simply ignored for 1.5 years which left me to wonder why even bother putting feature requests in if they aren’t being properly seen, categorised and considered. The case was of utmost importance in terms of UI and first user impressions of your software to potential new users, yet Xojo couldn’t see that and didn’t give it due consideration.

What cuts right to the bone is when you keep on making the same comment over and over again about us having to use feedback and “all we have is the information you provide”, those of us whom have/are regularly using feedback to literally give you free testing and quality control on your product are routinely ignored as is clearly shown above and the huge list of outstanding verified and reproducible issues the vast majority of us all have. We literally spend hours researching and reporting issues to provide you with the information and you systematically ignore it, either through fault of your own, fault of the system or fault of the processes in place. The ticket I linked above has been marked to be closed since 24th January 2020 because of the ticket you put in, my ticket is still there, being ignored just adding to the waste pile that is feedback.

It certainly shows, maybe you should, because from our perspective the current system isn’t fit for purpose, from where we are the flexibility you seem to enjoy just lets things build up and the tighter your grip on things the more issues slip through your fingers.

Time after time, things are missed, if you’re a frequent user of feedback you get to see the problems. For example <https://xojo.com/issue/61268> 61268 - WebListBox dynamic data not always shown after scrolling is still under Needs Review since August, deep in the beta. It was brought up on the forum under a beta topic of Showstoppers yet its still being ignored, it has literally fallen through the cracks in the system, it is a showstopper and it is a glaring issue in the implementation of a core control of your new web 2.0 product.

There are lots of tickets like this, and countless more that are stuck behind testers only visibility which should have been made public a long time ago which aren’t getting any attention because they can’t be seen by the majority of users.

Chuck a couple of grand at it and let a company dedicated to creating a world class bug tracking system take care of things because no matter how much time you dedicate to it, no matter how many engineers over the years you have working on it, you’ll never, ever be able to match what can be created by a company who’s sole existence is dedicated to a bug tracking solution. What you have now is just a massive waste of time and resources that could be put into actually improving your product.

Except from this one in August 2015, never seen one or heard of one:

image

Then I’d like a DSM (Synology) platform support as well, because it’s both kind of a desktop and web.
For me, it’d be great.

■■■■■■■■ this Forum Software. Deleted my Post by accident… :frowning:


I hope what I am writing now is not misunderstood, because of my weak english…
The following is no rant!


We also stopped reporting issues 3 months ago, because we invested far too much time into bug hunting for Xojo, without seeing the attention eliminating those bugs needs.

My collegues told me 1 year ago, when i was reporting IDE speed issues (<https://xojo.com/issue/56900>) and invested countless hours in delivering the needed data for Xojo Inc., to stop investing our time into it…

I already wrote several times in this Forum that we won’t buy any more Xojo licenses, in it’s current state. @Geoff_Perlman contacted me and offered his help. But it was to late.


What really bothers me is that in our conversation he focussed more on arguing why moving to a new Dev. Plattform may cost us more than just staying with Xojo. He even wrote “ your single license won’t make a difference to us ”. (I think i know how he meant it, but this is not the kind of response we expected.) And this is definetly not the Xojo i know from the past.

*Something is fundamentally wrong right now *

I’d really like to spend some given moments, when I take/have the time, where I vote for my “favourite” cases in Feedback to show which I’m more concerned about.
Currently, one can list their own cases, recent/newest cases or search for them using specific words.
So if I want to take a moment to review reports, I have to search for all the ones I’m concerned about (given the fact English isn’t my native language, I’d probably not use the most “expected” words for a case and spend a long time searching).
Is there not a “list all” feature to help?

Amen.

My own two cents is that in the past year there has been very little care given to developers that have older projects. Our concerns were ignored until we got the pitchforks and torches out. This current ruckus is still just a continuation of that event.

I can only speak for myself but the quest for mobile targets seems to be a wild goose chase to the detriment of the other targets that need more attention. From the outside looking in, the size of the development team is way too small for the number of targets supported. And perhaps it’s time to rethink the Rapid Release Model because for many of us it’s a quest to figure out what version is safe to do certain things.

Feedback is broken and mostly worthless. We submit bugs and it’s where they go to die for the most part. Writing your own bug tracking system was, perhaps, a mistake when there are so many perfectly good (and better) bug tracking systems. I don’t know the reason why Fogzbugs was discontinued but I seem to remember things being smoother in that system (but that was many years ago so there may have been many valid reasons). In my consulting and current job bug tracking was not that hard and such a valuable tool and I couldn’t imagine trying to write my own tool to manage them.

Trust is earned and for many us that trust has been willfully violated. There is no magic fix for this other than trying really hard to rebuild that trust.

+10000000

+10000000

Emphasis is mine. Fragmentation is THE ISSUE with Linux. That’s why I have not much love for Linux:

  • Packages installation is different among distributions
  • MySQL installation changes with distros
  • Just with Raspbian, LAMP installation procedures changes from version to version.

Nothing is simple with Linux, nothing :fearful:. I understand the pain Xojo goes through.

Bob, I may agree, Jira or Redmine are perfect for this, but I also think it’s important to have the Feedback app written entirely with Xojo. They should even port it to every target Xojo builds to, so they discover obvious bugs that we’re forced to submit.

Actually, I think it’s a failure to not have a forum written in Xojo Web, accesible with its own iOS app. The lack of dogfooding in the other targets hurts the developer experience.

All these projects could even be Open Source.

I agree. I’m hoping this will spur more innovation for Web2.0
Feedback needs to work on mobile too when they do it which should encourage them to figure out the Responsive design and Mobile touch events and Accessibility. Then again Xojo could give us a half-baked Web2.0 Feedback and gloss-over these details but I’m hoping not…

I’d love that but it comes with a huge opportunity cost. The company that makes this forum software for example has a staff at least as big as ours just for this single app. So we could have a forum app written in Xojo but it would not be as full-featured as this one is.

I disagree. It is good to have complex demos apps available in open source, it is a whole other story to build a complete eco-system and maintain them. The app is not the only component in the system.
Xojo does not earn one penny using a Xojo written feedback system. It can build other nice demos apps and also be taken seriously.
All the efforts not going in reinventing the wheel can be put elsewhere, for. ex. quality insurance.

Sorry, don’t pick the specific examples of a forum or feedback app, my point is, given the kind of bugs reported, there is a lack of dogfooding for the satellite targets.

i.e. how many bugs Xojo team has discovered by using Xojo for building Xojo?

A LOT. We build Xojo with Xojo so we find bugs on our own regularly and fix them. We build lots of internal systems in Xojo as well.

Exactly, and that’s great, so it would be great to see the same happening on the other platforms.

My personal feeling is it’s not happening, and waiting for people to open feedback tickets is just risky. I just stopped investing time playing with Xojo Web, and recommending it, until I see is as capable as 1.0 was. I won’t invest time in iOS at the moment, as it seems everything will change, but after Android comes.

Being that said, yes, massive amounts of kudos to you, and Xojo team for the hard work done. We are all complaining because we love Xojo and we want to see it improving. That’s good, in a way, I guess.

We also stopped reporting issues 3 months ago, because we invested far too much time into bug hunting for Xojo, without seeing the attention eliminating those bugs needs.

When I see how much time some people invest writing in the forum (in this and “the other”) there should be far enough time to report issues detailed in Feedback.