If we would have stopped reporting just because we were short of time…yes…
What is concerning to me is the amount and types of bugs (not to mention regressions) that really should be captured by automated unit tests so that they never reach our hands in first place. At least Web2.0 is using Typescript now to preemptively catch some of these
lol, the problem is not the time invested on improving the tool. The problem is the time WASTED on Feedback ignored.
the problem is not the time invested on improving the tool
Ranting in forums for months and wondering what Xojo’s future looks like does not help to improve the tool.
You are asking about people stop writing Feedback, so the answer is about that, not about ranting
![]()
Sure it does. If all established avenues of remedy and feedback are totally ineffective, ignored and even censored, then it is time to keep the message in the face of those who have the means to fix it.
Just because you are personally are satisfied, or loyal to the brand, does not eliminate the need of others to make themselves heard.
I sympathize that you may not want to hear it anymore or that it does not apply to you. In that case, please ignore it. With 1.7K views and 124 replies, it is clearly relevant to others.
The status quo cannot continue if we want to keep taking this tool and company seriously, some give and take, and consideration, compromise and restoration of mission and trust are indicated.
The dolphin-safe movement in the U.S. was led by environmental and consumer groups in response to the use of total encirclement netting.
The customers complained and stopped buying tuna, revenues plummeted, laws were enacted and corporations began to react responsively and responsibly. It works. But only if you stop accepting status quo and speak up.
If you continue to accept poor, ineffective or damaging performance from those who give you money to, then you will continue receiving the exact same thing as long as the earplugs are in and the gravy keeps flowing. Raise your discontent with poor products and service, if enough others agree then you can be provided the remedy you need… but only if you (and others) act with good faith and persistence.
As a newer user, this is a completely sincere question. Is developing a consistently good experience in a Linux app developed with Xojo an impossible task? I have not tried building for Linux yet, but I am worried if the company that actually creates Xojo is having such a problem with getting a good, usable application running under Linux - do I even stand a chance??
Oh boy … do we need another moral knight? … deep sigh.
Again this is an issue of the impact surface. We have very few users that run the IDE or Feedback on Linux so as you can imagine, we spend a lot more time on Windows and MacOS.
Having said that, nearly every single web app built in Xojo runs on Linux. All of Xojo Cloud is on Linux. Linux is primarily a server OS. When a company creates a farm of servers, they will generally all be the same version of Linux. Compare that to the desktop where there will be many different distros in use.
I found out recently for example that the copy/paste issue that some Linux users experience in the Xojo IDE is not limited to Xojo. Many apps on Linux have this problem. Some have found a way to work around it which is great. I’m sure we will figure that out at some point.
The point I’m trying to make here is that apps written in Xojo for Linux are overall quite robust. Feedback is a complex app (in terms of UI) relying on external libraries to be correctly installed by the distro. Given the sheer number of distros this can be a bit of a minefield for a developer when it comes to desktop software.
This is not entirely true, copy and paste is related to gnome but not to kde. The problem is not the copy paste problem it is the problem of speed. And this depends on the ide.
That doesn’t change the fact that people experience it. Us telling users to switch from gone to KDE to avoid the copy/paste issue is like suggesting they change their religion. Linux users tend to be very attached to the desktop GUI they use on Linux.
Speed can be an issue as well of course and it’s something we should address.
That’s what I lent cause xojo copy paste is gnome related. But speed has to become better
Thank you Geoff for a thorough answer. On the Xojo YouTube channel I was able to find the XDC session from 2018 by William Yu, entitled ‘Living the Linux Life’. That along with your answer has really given me a good head start on what I need to think about when developing an application for Linux in Xojo, and also helped me understand a little more about what you meant about the size of the ‘impact surface’ on Linux.
Thanks again for your answer, and I am sorry for pulling this thread slightly off topic 
No problem, Michael. I’m glad to have been of help and that you found William’s session useful. Linux is certainly the wild, wild west of the computing world. 
I can attest to this. See feedback 54150: <https://xojo.com/issue/54150> which is a verified bug from 2018 during a beta test (reported by two others in this very thread), and I also ran into as well in 2019 and added my info. Even asking on the feedback ticket for it to be made visible because my “points” don’t do anything (show as “zero”) when I assigned it to my top 5. I then asked if I need to submit a duplicate bug to get some action, visibility, or points on this issue? CRICKETS.
Now back to eating
while I continue reading this thread.
Not sure what happened there but I have made the case visible.
As this thread has gone on and morphed I’m somewhat disappointed that the community has turned this thread into a gripe session about Xojo. I can complain about this as I am the author of the thread. It was never meant to be this big discussion about Xojo and I think we’ve (including myself) lost track of what I was trying to say.
I was simply complimenting Geoff for a kind action that he did. And I included all of Xojo with that as well.
Look all - it’s not a perfect product - far from it. But Apple has bugs and so does Microsoft. But the purpose of this thread wasn’t that. I’m sorry some of you are let down by the product. I know it’s frustrating when you have to work around issues. Nothing is perfect.
I simply wanted to publicly say thank you to the owner of the company.
Thanks, again, Geoff.
I haven’t read this thread except the first couple of posts but I will say I’ve always found Geoff to be very accessible. I’ve had some (very) lengthy and extensive email discussions with him over the years about various issues and have found him open to suggestions and critiques.
Xojo holds a special love/hate place in my heart. I sometimes wonder at the things I’ve been able to achieve and fret over things which are still horrible but overall it’s been a positive experience and I suppose that’s what I want.
The depth of my knowledge and ability may not expose me to some of the more serious bugs but as with any software it will always be a work in progress.
At the end of the day I’m much happier Xojo exists than if it didn’t so yeah, kudos to Geoff and Xojo.
Thanks, Kim. It’s great to hear from you. It’s been a while. While it’s taking far longer than we expected (due to other priorities getting in the way), you will see that the update to the IDE navigation is on our roadmap and isn’t quite as far away now.