Jeremie Leroy support?

We’re all developers here, we all know that support is one of the things that’s easy to fall between-the-cracks and we’re all human beings complete with quirks, flaws, goodness and grace. And honestly it’s sometimes flat-out impossible to answer everyone.

Case-in-point, I’m a radio host. One of the shows I used to do was a tech show. People would call the show with their tech questions (ranging from “what android phone should I buy” to “safari crashes everytime I launch it”) and I would answer them on the radio. But there were always too many questions to get to. Similarly, when I work in a music format, there are always too many song requests to play them all.

Product Support is a slightly different business as you have a reasonable obligation to help someone that has paid you money, but I can still understand how some of the more popular products by independent developers get overwhelmed with support requests.

If I were asked to give this product a star-rating on the app store I would decline, because I’m not currently able to give an objective rating since I haven’t been able to employ the product in use. There is clearly something broken, either my understanding and competence in using the product or perhaps something doesn’t work in the newer versions of Xojo, but it’s not fair to rate an umbrella on a sunny day. You have to actually use the umbrella as intended first.

Come on Christian. With RubberViews, I have a pretty good picture of the actual market for third party Xojo tools. I would not eat often if I counted on those sales.

I doubt extremely much Jrmie is overwhelmed by support requests for his Xojo classes. The market is small enough to permit a prompt support.

Unfortunately, he has demonstrated time and again an incredible neglect and nonchalance, in spite of now probably a dozen of threads like this one.

It is even more a pity that his products are promising.

But when he burns a user through sheer contempt, often enough a new Xojo user, he demonstrates blatantly how fragile any solution based on third parties can be. That comforts the bad image of third party tools, and it reflects poorly on the [very small] Xojo third party developers community.

I never suggested reviews and stars as in online stores. I just noted how different the developer place is, and the end user one.

I see it being a major problem when the vendor’s name is the first two words of the forum topic and the vendor has frequented the forums, but doesn’t respond. How in the world could you miss it?

Obviously that is not the problem. It’s a don’t care, or don’t know what to do type of problem.

I was just being sarcastic… sorry.

The really strange part is that he has not only logged into this forum regularly over the last few days–which I could have attributed to some sort of automated thing he set up–but he has posted several replies in other threads over the last few days, too–so that blows the bot theory out of the water…

FWIW, I had trouble reaching him a couple of years ago, but he did eventually get back to me; said he had been on vacation. Since then, I’ve moved to other plugin/modules where possible.

Or he just doesn’t follow the Add Ons portion of the forum so was on the forums but never actually saw this thread. Has anyone sent him a direct message?

I’ll admit it would seem strange to NOT follow the Add Ons section if you offer Xojo add ons. But just saying there is a possibility to have been on the forums and not actually seen the thread.

Has anyone considered that he could suffer from depression?

I would be careful attributing motives and intentions on someone I don‘t even know …

Let’s just not stray into gossip territory, please.

Well, I think Markus has a very valid point here. The temptation to bash the plugin author is certainly not zero, but it should really be directed towards the current state of the product.

If your problem is that Xojo complains about “NewPicture”, than just add:

Public Function newPicture(w as integer,h as Integer,depth as integer=32) as Picture
Return new Picture(w,h,depth)
End Function

into some global method. My copy of 1.7.2 runs just fine with it.

You forgot an exception handler.

NewPicture gave nil on error but New Picture constructor raises exception.

So in my apps i did a replace all to add the space and reviewed all code for wether it needed a try catch there.

The CustomUI’s Listbox Control only have Vertical scrollbar, It lacks of horizontal scrollbar

I have a problem with the calendar and from what I see they will not give me support, so I’ll have to ask for my money back.

Hello guys, I think it’s time for me as well to ask same question, we were looking on the CustomUI controls that we are interested on but unfortunately I did not find the time to actually have a look on the website, in the meantime my colleague wanted to make a surprise and he bought the controls, so far no reply from Leroy on several mails , the money were taken and no source code no license ,no reply nothing . Digging little bit in the website I found the demo, which is like 4 years old or so, a lot of errors, all the classes, modules locked so we cannot even debug and test the whole thing to see how it works if it works and apparently nobody can reply as well on the mails or on the support side.

Normally when you buy a product you expect to be functional and to have support for it but being in a total darkness not updating the code and not having even what to test it is weird and frustrating in the same time. It’s sad that nice things are not maintained and we end up having the limted options the framework offers and maybe many will say “who stops you why you don’t doit” well why reinvent the wheel when you have something already there and could help you advance way faster than to do all from scratch.

Any idea how we can have other ways of contacting him ? we are really interested in that part and we wanted to have those details but no luck so far.

Thanks again and hopefully we will get some replies soon.

Hi Aurelian,

I’m just back from traveling on an important project. I saw your emails and just responded.
For the record I just refunded entirely the CustomUI purchase as you stated it isn’t functional in the current version of the project. I will find the time tomorrow to update it and send you a working version as soon as possible. You will then be able to test the project and go through with the purchase if you are satisfied with the product.

Hello Jeremie ,

Thanks again for the mail, and we are glad that you are ok and you could reply. I did sent an email to you and hopefully we will get news soon.

[quote=465287:@Jeremie Leroy]Hi Aurelian,

I’m just back from traveling on an important project. I saw your emails and just responded.
For the record I just refunded entirely the CustomUI purchase as you stated it isn’t functional in the current version of the project. I will find the time tomorrow to update it and send you a working version as soon as possible. You will then be able to test the project and go through with the purchase if you are satisfied with the product.[/quote]
Hello Jeremie, any ETA for a functional version for your projects ?

Thanks.