Is Xojo.Connect still happening as scheduled?

Travel from EU suspended for thirty days starting Friday.

just found out 1 minute ago… how is Christian going to Nashville and NYC??

I’m guessing he’s not.

It said Europe except the UK, so presumably it actually means Schengen. Although given that people are still moving freely between the UK and the rest of Schengen it does not seem to have been well thought out…

I would expect you’ll see the UK plus and a raft of other countries added to the list in the coming days and weeks… politicians have to be seen to do something, anything and in an election year he will not want to do anything internally that might impact the economy. So announce travel restrictions and lifting them will be the game. But without actually locking down the country it will have little practical use.

Yep, forget about the economics and try to slow this thing down, because that is all we can do for now. Mind you the travel restrictions will see American tourists traveling across Europe to get to the UK to to try to get home. That will have unwelcome consequences as well.

I meant that as a joke :slight_smile:
In fact I am worried about what this thing will do to the world economy. My business for one has already been hit, I was expecting a very promising meeting on Monday with people from Honduras, one of my country’s neighbors but the borders have been closed so no meeting and probably the meeting will not be scheduled again.

As I understand it, the European travel ban does not apply to Americans trying to get home. So they do not have to “escape” to Britain.

It is only a matter of 30 days (or less): Donald D. Trump says something about “the temperature will kill the virus”.

Who sent planes to get back its citizens ?

PS: business will go down as well as pollution…

With that travel ban Xojo Con is done…

Check the CORONA Dashboard. This is just the beginning. I expect more deaths when Corona will hit the US Hinterland with their Opioid and Drugs Crisis and its not existing health system.

Regarding the impact on business. Does anybody know the movie “28 days later”? A Zombie Apocalypse Movie made in british fashion. There was a graffiti…

yep xojo connect can only be online now …

not for us citizens…

Seems to be difficult to find the real text of the decree.

I found this:
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

So Schengen Area is blocked, which includes us. Sorry to not attend the conference.

The ban also specifically states anyone who has travelled within the Schengen area in the preceding 14 days so you can’t, for instance, fly from Italy or Germany to the UK and then onwards to the US.

@Christian Schmitz : Will you still share the secret project you were thinking about working on to demo at the conference if you can’t go (selfishly crosses fingers for a GPU-accelerated Canvas control…)

We’ll discuss with @Dana Brown how to do this. Maybe doing something remote via video conferencing.

This may be a chance for Xojo Inc. to make this XDC more virtual and allow 100s of Xojo users to join via Zoom or something else.

Completely agree Christian. In fact I suggested this a week or so ago. No doubt there will be technical hurdles but I would pay a reduced rate to watch the conference from home.

For those who think the temperature will kill the virus, you are very naive. On this moment in Botswana, there are temperatures of 40 to 45°C. The Coronavirus is up and running.

A colleague of mine his wife is infected with Corona. So don’t think it is not close to your home. Even people with no signs of Corona are even more infectious.

It is a plague-like Pest in Medieval times. When Xojo inc. takes their responsibility, they postpone their Xojo.Connect. By the way that is true for all events where people come together.

Never laugh with somebody else misery is a very good rule of life. The most dangerous fact is that people think they are safe, until disaster strikes by surprise.

What you are seeing now, I only the beginning. Let’s talk over a few months again and see where we are standing on that moment.

i agree… australia is at the summer right now and it is happening there too…

May I give an example from Germany?

Science assumes that 60-70% of all Germans will be infected. These figures have recently also been publicly communicated by politicians. That means we are talking about 50 million people.

15% of all corona infections are critical, which means that the patients have to be artificially ventilated or at least medically controlled. Unfortunately there are only 28,000 beds with these equipment in our public health system. So everything is being done to keep infection rates as linear and predictable as possible in the coming weeks and months to prevent such situations we have seen in China with ill people laying in the gangways and on floors. Flattening the curves already said before.

Globally, 3-4% of all infections are currently fatal, fluctuate strongly and depend on previous illnesses and the medical care situation. Interestingly we in Germany have surprisingly low (only 3) fatalities out of 2000 infections. An indication for a very good care. The death toll in Spain and in France counts already 50 at similar number of infections.

If we calculate conservatively with a mortality rate of 0.1%, on 50 million infected people then this results in a figure of 50,000, mostly elderly people and people with health problems (e.g. asthma). The mortality rate will increase rapidly when the previously very good care collapses due to the masses and fatalities among the clinic staff.

For comparison a few other figures (all for Germany only)

• Annual road traffic fatalities: about 3000 deaths
  • Annual flu deaths in 2019: approx. 300 deaths
  • the strongest wave of influenza for 30 years was in 2017/2018 with 25,000 deaths

Do the math… consider the base-rates