How long do we have to wait to support Android?

You seem to be making the assumption that it is the same developers being diverted off Android to work on numbers 1-4. That does not seem to be the case based on statements Xojo has made. Which means Dana’s comment is entirely reasonable. The fact other developers are closer to be ready to ship on smaller changes can indeed mean it has no impact on Android’s timeline.

2 Likes

Creating for a new platform is not as simple as flipping a switch. I remember when, back in 2013, Xojo showed early videos of Xojo iOS. As as result, many including yours truly believed it was almost ready. In reality, we had to wait until the end of 2014, and even then, the result was a bit green and tart.

For Android, instead of going the Java route, as does the Google development kit, we have been told Xojo decided to compile binary code. That makes it even more complex. Besides, where iOS and macOS had some level of similarity, Android is definitely a horse of a different color.

I would not hold my breath just yet. It took years for iOS, it may just take years as well for Android.

If you need to develop for Android, there is the Google SDK, of course, and other solutions that can be used right away.

2 Likes

Personally, I’m much more interested in #s 7, 6, and 4. Everyone has different priorities.

1 Like

Indeed, we all have our own priorities.

What I’m thinking is perhaps Xojo should list their roadmap without using a numeric list which makes one think that they are delivering items on that list based on the numeric order.
Probably something like:

• Feature A
  • Feature B
  • Feature C

And what would really be awesome would be:

• Bug fix only release
4 Likes

Well to be fair, that is what it is at any particular moment in time:

that’s a great news, there are more importend things to do …