How long do we have to wait to support Android?

The wait is the collateral damage of advertising a future feature.

No avertising future feature(s) have also drawbacks…

1 Like

Extremities are never good. Best to stay in-between :wink:

FWIW…

1. The skills of the people involved in 1-4 are not needed for Android at the moment.
  2. As was mentioned before, the roadmap doesn’t indicate how long things will take.
3 Likes

The length of time is not the question.

The order is. The re-arrangement speaks volumes.

1 Like

Please read the text above the roadmap:

“The order in which we expect features to ship may change as features get closer to completion.”

As we saw some features nearing completion we were able to update the Roadmap to give you a clearer picture of what’s coming and in what order. But don’t forget that multiple features often ship in a single release.

3 Likes

We’ve all read that.

Yes, we all read this, but it doesn’t help! It’s OK to say there’s no ETA at all, that is understandable.
A roadmap draws a path. So, rearranging the topics “randomly” is complete nonsense in my eyes. How shoud we count on this list?

1 Like

You are wrong.

The real question is:
a. I have a contract and I need to build an application:
Choose an IDE and go ahead.

b. I just want to know
Yes, you have to wait an undefined amount of time.
You may not love that, but as a developer you understand.

Isn’t it better now ? .-:slight_smile:

1 Like

As a developer I totally understand that it could be problematic to say “feature x will be released on date y” and that therefore Xojo says nothing about dates and timeframes.

2 Likes

It would still be nice to know how much is working.

1 Like

I proposed years ago to tell the target release month (month-year) and do a monthly report in the form: on time / late / advanced…

Telling users that the work stalled, is a bit late or goes faster than expected is good and send a respect signal. The three can arise in the development time :wink:

… and what a change this would be !

3 Likes

Yes they are. My extremities allow me to hold things, and also to run.

I did the same thing back in April 2020. We all learn our lessons the hard way :wink:

2 Likes

If number 3 means we’d get a Listbox that uses desktop tinting, overlay scrollbars and elastic scrolling, I’d certainly be interested in # 3.

2 Likes

You are dreaming.

Availability of desktop controls with improved consistency
Means: good old Controls with a touch of 2021 ? No, just they behave the same. No revolution, no evolution, just a .1 version ;-:slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you need to support android right now, you can with the wealth of tools already available, for instance the Google SDK. Granted, Java is not exactly the same as Xojo, but it is not that far.

I have used B4X myself to port one of my apps to Android, about a year ago. As soon as Xojo will be able to generate Android apps, I will be glad to use it instead.

At any rate, if you have a customer asking for Android, never promise based on a non-existent solution.

3 Likes

The roadmap I’m often reading on the forums (this one and on TWF - the whining forum):

• Xojo first fix your old FCs!!!.
  • Xojo, release faster, faster, faster!!!
  • Xojo, please stop releasing beta versions of new functionality!!!

The priority is changing per user. This will never work altogether and we all know that.

Just like a customer asking for 100% system availability. It never will work. You might be able to mitigate the risks and get close to it, but it will cost a lot of money too.

Mitigating risks is my roadmap. For me, it is not ready, when Xojo says it is ready, but when I tested it and can conclude that is mature enough for the first projects. Until then I don’t promise anything to my customers, nor to myself. Disclaimer: patience is not one of my strengths, but I know I can’t change the facts, so why waste my time on it? Just my 5 cents.

3 Likes

At any rate, if you have a customer asking for anything, never promise based on a non-existent solution.
And never purchase any software based on promised functions :wink:

But that should never stop us from asking (and tho, expressing what we hope for) :slight_smile:

“at the moment” ? :wink:

And stop purchasing new/updated licenses. As we did… :frowning:

:rofl:

I must retort because not all (of us) participating there whine, but I love the name.

2 Likes