Grammar and spelling issues on Xojo's site

I would love to be able to email or get in touch with someone when I find spelling errors on the site or grammatical errors. I’m not perfect when it comes to grammar, but when I find issues, and I seem to find them all the time all over the web, it bugs the daylights out of me… OCD anyone? :slight_smile:

For instance, on https://documentation.xojo.com/api/language/consoleapplication.html Under the “Notes” heading, the third line says:

Because a console application has no windows or menus of its own, it communicates with the user is through the [Print](https://documentation.xojo.com/api/printing/print.html) and [Input](https://documentation.xojo.com/api/os/input.html) commands or the [StandardInputStream](https://documentation.xojo.com/api/files/standardinputstream.html) and [StandardOutputStream](https://documentation.xojo.com/api/files/standardoutputstream.html) classes, which provide equivalent functionality.

That first sentence should actually read like this

Because a console application has no windows or menus of its own, it communicates with the user through the …

Again, sorry for the OCD, but when I find things like this, I’d hate to create a forum post each time. For that matter, if it were easy to update on the site, I’d be happy to do it myself. Especially if it were like a wiki system where I could suggest edits directly.

Sorry for the 3am rant :slight_smile:

Now back to your regularly scheduled program!

2 Likes

There is a link at the bottom of each page: “Send doc feedback”. You could click on that - although that seems to be less responsive that it used to be.

1 Like

Please email us directly (hello@xojo.com) about these types of issues or, as Tim suggested, use the link on the docs pages.

For quick and minor typos, feel free to PM me on the forum and I can make the change on the wiki.

I used Grammarly on both sentences. Both sentences give a correct result. What grammar concerns, there are many times more correct sentences.

Languages are fluid and change throughout time. Regretfully for the US, but they are no longer in control of the English language because of the fact that English nowadays is so widespread.

1 Like

Dear Jason,

I also copied your text in Grammarly. Please, before criticizing other peoples text, make sure yours is without errors. Here is the correct version, look for the differences:

" I would love to be able to email or get in touch with someone when I find spelling errors on the site or grammatical errors. I’m not perfect when it comes to grammar, but when I find issues, and I seem to find them all the time all over the web, it bugs the daylights out of me… OCD anyone?

For instance, on ConsoleApplication - Xojo Documentation, Under the “Notes” heading, the third line says:

Because a console application has no windows or menus of its own, it communicates with the user is through the Print and Input commands or the StandardInputStream and StandardOutputStream classes, which provide equivalent functionality.

That first sentence should actually read like this

Because a console application has no windows or menus of its own, it communicates with the user through the …

Again, sorry for the OCD, but when I find things like this, I’d hate to create a forum post each time. For that matter, if it were easy to update on the site, I’d be happy to do it myself, especially if it were like a wiki system where I could suggest edits directly.

Sorry for the 3 am rant

Now back to your regularly scheduled program!"

Your overall score on correctness is 85%. Ouch, I do not want to go off like that!

Where are we gonna end up when everybody can edit the spelling and grammar here? You change something and an hour later I change your change because it doesn’t look good in my eyes. Do you see the problem? By the way, when typing this reply, Grammarly corrected me also 4 times. So, I am not perfect either but at least I do not pretend to be!

I am sorry, but I could not resist!

That’s not a good endorsement of Grammarly if it can’t catch the extraneous “is” in the original text.

5 Likes

Soo…

Feedback and bug reports should not exist until some user reach 100% bug free code all the time in their products?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Dans ces conditions, j’écris en français ! :japanese_ogre:

5 Likes

“…it communicates with the user is through” is simply wrong, not a question of style.

Emile, you are a treasure. Bonne année!

Well quite. And any properly educated English mother-tongue person should be able to proof-read English text.

Hi everyone,

Please, can somebody tell me the age of this thread? It seems I wrote a reply on 2 January. However, I cannot even remember writing that reply.

Anyway, the “Bad_Wolf” reply is strange to me because I am very sure I never wrote that. English is not my native language and I do use Grammarly.

Does anybody know the year in which that Bad_Wolf reply was made?

Please accept my apology for bothering the community with this. I will really appreciate your help on this. Thank you in advance.

Chris

Could it have been you were heavily medicated during the pandemic? 2021 was a blur for many people :wink:

@AlbertoD that was a quote from the OP. Chris (allegedly) posted on Jan 1 2022 at 6:44pm. I assume that is my local time which is PST.

Edit: @Tim_Hare sorry, now I understand what you are talking about.

Thread started:

Post #5 (the first one from Chris)

Post #6 (the “Bad_Wolf” reply I guess)

the time should be CST

Medication, alcohol, sleep deprivation, stress, ageing, Alzheimer, etc can all lead to memory loss or memories not forming in the first place (especially short-term memories)

I can’t support these extra spaces added before punctuations in French (only language I know which does this anomaly). Therefore, I’ll stick with English!

Edit: just realised I answered to a 5 months old post. Sorry, I thought it was a new thread. But I’ll keep the reply anyway.

Complete explanation (in French) about punctuation here:

But, things were a bit changed when computers arise.

An example is the printing "à l’italienne” who now is “Paysage” (Landscape).

The “space” before some puctuation were noted using old typographic name / “metric”, but I completely forgot what it was (not using things will clear them from memory).

In short: typography <> infography…

Thanks. I know there are “justifications” about that all around the places. But the fact that only French has these explanations (because it’s the only language I know using these extra spaces) make them weak, IMO.