Email's attachments showed in Outlook 2013 as .DAT

Maybe by using Curl, like Christian did?

I don’t know if this applies any more, but I used to have to hack the attachment to get the name to show correctly.

att as EmailAttachment
f as FolderItem
// hack the name
att.name= f.name+ chr(34)+ "; filename= "+ chr(34)+ f.name

Who has outlook that I can send a few emails to try things out
Please add names & emails privately to the feedback report

I have experienced the .dat file issue when sending emails from outlook and viewing them on my iPhone - not related to Xojo. The solution in all cases was to delete the person from my contacts list, then create a new name for the same person, add their details (email, etc.). Once the email was sent with a new contact, then the file would properly show up on my ipohone as a pdf or whatever correct extension was used.

[quote=252532:@Norman Palardy]Who has outlook that I can send a few emails to try things out
Please add names & emails privately to the feedback report[/quote]

All this noise and NO ONE wants to help me test out an answer ?
Guess I’ll drop the case on the floor since we’re just following the latest RFC’s and Outlook isn’t

Sure, send me an email Norman!

I added my email to <https://xojo.com/issue/42788>

[quote=252563:@Norman Palardy]All this noise and NO ONE wants to help me test out an answer ?
Guess I’ll drop the case on the floor since we’re just following the latest RFC’s and Outlook isn’t[/quote]

You asked at midnight (here in Germany) and complained at 6 in the morning… :wink:
Give us a chance to answer your request please.

Added my Address to the Case.

But please don’t yell at us when we don’t answer your Outlook Test-Mails at the Weekend, Norman. :smiley:

I’ve sent a private message to Normal. Forgot to add: I’ve got both versions of Outlook, Mac and the dark side.

Sent a bunch of emails out to sascha & eugene this morning
Every one sent to Sascha worked and the attachments were received properly - which is nice but doesn’t help me pinpoint the issue
Haven’t heard from Eugene yet

Is the recipient’s mail server an Exchange server?

not sure sashca’s is
robin received them fine as well on all his accounts using outlook 2013
On a pop and the other through live.com - which I expect is exchange hosted but I’m not sure

Is yours ?
I’d try sending to you if it is

I sure hope its not Exchange killing this as then it seems like an exchange issue not a outlook issue
BUT that may also mean its something fixable by changing settings on Exchange server

I use Outlook 2007 and i think we use Exchange 2010. But definatly an Exchange Server.

In my tests, the trouble is only when you read an email from an exchange server using outlook.
Using outlook to read an email from others mail servers, everything works fine.
The hard test is send an email using email xojo class to an exchange account, read the email using a webmail (in my case the email is shown correctly) and than read the email using outlook v15 (in my case the email’s attachment is shown with a modified filename and extension as .DAT)

I was sending from the Email Example project
first unmodified with a pdf attachment that had no special characters in the name of the pdf - worked
modified so it did not add the utf-8 name with a pdf attachment that had no special characters in the name of the pdf - worked
unmodified with a pdf attachment that had special characters in the name of the pdf - worked
modified so it did not add the utf-8 name with a pdf attachment that had special characters in the name of the pdf - worked

basically I haven’t found a way to make it NOT work consistently

this is on outlook (various versions) and on web mail on live.com

so I’m really struggling to see what you’re seeing

4 emails sent your way to the laptop address

first 2 unmodified framework code

• attachment with no special chars in name
  • attachment with special chars
    next 2 with modified framework code
  • attachment with no special chars in name
  • attachment with special chars

All of the test emails and attachments work on Microsoft Outlook 2013 and 2016.

[quote=252756:@Pietro Beccegato]In my tests, the trouble is only when you read an email from an exchange server using outlook.
Using outlook to read an email from others mail servers, everything works fine.[/quote]
If this is the case, it could just be a setting that an administrator has made to not accept UTF8 names, or custom headers or anything else. Also, are we talking about the Outlook program or is this the web application that runs inside of IE?

We are talking about the Outlook program