Email's attachments showed in Outlook 2013 as .DAT

After many tests I found a workaround explained in the <https://xojo.com/issue/42788>]

But now the attachments are received as corrupted, because the emailmessage.source is modified during the trasmission.
It seems the problem is unsolvable.

this seems to be <https://xojo.com/issue/11318> haven’t verified with recent Xojo version, but it seems you just did…

I’ve read trough lots of RFC and to me the recent behaviour of Xojo to add an encoded version of the filename as name parameter to the Content-Type and a filename parameter to Content-Disposition seems to be the correct thing for a generator to do. So I’d treat <https://xojo.com/issue/42655> and <https://xojo.com/issue/42788> as bugs in the mentioned MUAs, not Xojo bugs. It should however be possible for the Xojo-Developer to alter the EmailMessage.Source to implement workaround where necessary, which is not the case obviously.

Some further reading:

This is the fun part of dealing with RFC’s.
There’s what the RFC says you should/must do.
And then there is what different vendors software actually does - and that doesn’t always match up with RFC’s

Could you help me to understand, please; I have to found a solution/workaround in the next days, to resolve my customer’s trouble.

Actually is there a solution by Xojo code? If yes, how?
If not, it will arrive in the future? If yes when?

Have you already tried to do the same via CURL(S) ? By using the MBS Plugin? Maybe there’s no (fast) workaround by using only Xojo?

I have no idea how to fix this
It seems that the Xojo code creates what is part of the RFC - but Outlook doesn’t know what to do with it
Since you dont know what software the recipient is using I dont see how you can craft it “correctly” for all possible software they might use

The recipient is using Outlook 15 (MS Office 2013).

Suggests this is Outlook 2013 not having a clue how to do the right thing with it since you can open it elsewhere just fine
Would seem your user should use a newer version that handles it right
Or a different email client that handles it correctly

What happens when you rename such an attachment to 8.3 Format using only US-ASCII Characters?

Because Outlook does not seem to support RFC2231 in all (any?) Version.

[quote=251590:@Norman Palardy]Suggests this is Outlook 2013 not having a clue how to do the right thing with it since you can open it elsewhere just fine
Would seem your user should use a newer version that handles it right
Or a different email client that handles it correctly[/quote]
I understand you approach, but is difficult to tell to my customer to update more than 30 clients, because our app’s emails only are not correctly showed, when the email sended with other client are correctly showed.
If there isn’t another solution, I will tell it to my customer, but I think that you should evaluate to do something, because MS Exchange ed MS Outlook are widespread.

In former versions of Xojo sending attachments worked. Now it doesn’t work anymore. I’d still call this a bug.

Please try with MBS Plugin.
I put a lot of work to get it working right for all clients so far.
Even with Outlook it works nice.

[quote=251607:@Christian Schmitz]Please try with MBS Plugin.
I put a lot of work to get it working right for all clients so far.
Even with Outlook it works nice.[/quote]

We use it here to send HTML/Text Mails with PDF Attachments to thousands of Customers and have no issues or complaints from our customers. And it’s easy to use too! :slight_smile:

Tested with CURL MBS Plugin, all works fine. The email appears in Outlook perfectly and the attachments have the right name and the right extension.

Christian Schmitz for president!

Now I have to rewrite my code to send email with CURL MBS Plugin.

Great to hear!

Actually have this exact same problem with a client. Was working well in Real Studio 2012 but I had to upgrade them to Xojo last week for other reasons. Now, some of their clients are experiencing this issue.

Besides switching to CURL MBS is there another solution?

[quote=252484:@Bob Keeney]Actually have this exact same problem with a client. Was working well in Real Studio 2012 but I had to upgrade them to Xojo last week for other reasons. Now, some of their clients are experiencing this issue.

Besides switching to CURL MBS is there another solution?[/quote]

I spent many hours searching a solution using xojo email class without success.
Today I finish to rewrite the code of our app for send email through CURL MBS and now all troubles are solved.
CURL MBS offers many more parameters respect xojo email class and Monkeybreads support (Christian Schmitz) is very helpful for any doubt you can have.
Furthermore, with CURL MBS you can choose the mode for email sending; syncronous, asyncronous as by threads.
Sending in syncronous mode, the code elaboration wait till the email sending is finished, telling you the sending result. In this way, is very simple to check the result in interactive mode and if something goes not right, you can alert the app’s user.

So, what I can suggest is:
USE CURL MBS.

[quote=252492:@Pietro Beccegato]So, what I can suggest is:
USE CURL MBS.[/quote]

+1