Email's attachments showed in Outlook 2013 as .DAT

Got the mails. All are okay.

But: the attachment name doesn’t have the wrong duplicate name, that I have seen in 2015r4:

Content-Type: application/base64;
name="=?utf-8?B?TWFjdcyIQXBwU3RvcmVSZXZpZXdHdWlkZWxpbmVzLnBkZg==?="
Content-Description: =?utf-8?B?TWFjdcyIQXBwU3RvcmVSZXZpZXdHdWlkZWxpbmVzLnBkZg==?=
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="=?utf-8?B?TWFjdcyIQXBwU3RvcmVSZXZpZXdHdWlkZWxpbmVzLnBkZg==?=";
size=86395; creation-date=“Fri, 11 Mar 2016 23:13:46 GMT”;
modification-date=“Fri, 11 Mar 2016 23:13:46 GMT”
Content-ID: 3ED350298C22B648AF06896CD25A9A50@gm.com

Not according to your statement. You said it was only happening when connected to an Exchange Server. To me, that means the problem is likely with Exchange. I’ve worked with it in previous jobs and the things you can do are amazing. I wouldn’t be surprised if you this were a virus or malware feature doing the wrong thing, for instance… But it’s just a theory as we’d need to have the exact same server setup to test it.

@Greg: no, I don’t think so. Because the mails I’m sending have exactly the same symptom that Pietro described:

[quote]Content-Type: application/base64; name=“CLIORD-00647-2015.pdf”; name*=utf-8’‘CLIORD-00647-2015.pdf
x-mac-type=“3F3F3F3F”
x-mac-creator=“3F3F3F3F”
Content-transfer-encoding: Base64
Content-disposition: attachment; filename=“CLIORD-00647-2015.pdf”; filename*=utf-8’'CLIORD-00647-2015.pdf[/quote]

I’m using Sendgrid to send my mail. Nothing to do with Exchange. The mails that I got from Normal don’t show this “filename*=” that make the problem with the attachment name. That email address uses Exchange.

[quote=252860:@Beatrix Willius]@Greg: no, I don’t think so. Because the mails I’m sending have exactly the same symptom that Pietro described:

I’m using Sendgrid to send my mail. Nothing to do with Exchange. The mails that I got from Normal don’t show this “filename*=” that make the problem with the attachment name. That email address uses Exchange.[/quote]
Since the framework works with some email clients and even with Outlook in some circumstances, we need to figure out what the difference is though. I’m not sure we’re prepared to penalize users who need UTF8 file names until we narrow down what’s actually wrong.

@Greg: well, it was working before and now it’s not.

Another issue is that both Mail and Outlook think that they know better than the user and change the source code of the email. For instance, Mail can cope with the duplicate filename fine when the attachment is a jpeg.

For comparison, here is a mail that was sent a while ago and shows up correctly in Mail:

----==_mimepart_55c9e6687538c_68a03fd30ec1ce0810509d0 Content-Type: application/x-gzip; charset=UTF-8; filename=CrashLogs.gz Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=CrashLogs.gz Content-ID: <55c9e66764900_68a03fd30ec1ce08104989f@worker6.mail>

As far as I understand the “filename*=” part it’s a concatenation.

I sent 4 emails
2 should have the secondary name in utf8

• one has only ascii characters in the name
  • one has umlauts in the name
    2 should not
  • one has only ascii characters in the name
  • one has umlauts in the name

So far everyone that I have sent these 4 emails to has received all 4 just fine - with out with the utf8 name with or without special characters in the name itself