Does anyone have any experience with a raspberry-pi's "alternatives"?

Does anyone have any experience with a raspberry-pi’s “alternatives”?

I mean, alternatives that can run Xojo made software. I’m looking for the cheapest yet can run xojo apps alternative etc…

PS. It will run with linux

Well, I’m not a member of the alpha testers group (and even if I were, I wouldn’t be allowed to discuss the matters here); however, rumor has it that perhaps an ARM version of Xojo is just around the corner. I’d wait and see how it plays out for the next couple of weeks before rushing to buy any other hardware. For what it’s worth, most other alternatives I looked at didn’t have what the Raspberry provides (especially for the price). Another reason to wait, if at all possible. Just my two cents…

If what you say is true then I totally agree, Raspberry Pi is by far the best cost benefit.

Thanks Eric.

It is no secret, it has been announced at XDC by Geoff : 2015R3 will enable creating console programs for Pi.

But only Console for the moment. No idea if and when Desktop or Web programs will be possible.

[quote=200472:@Michel Bujardet]It is no secret, it has been announced at XDC by Geoff : 2015R3 will enable creating console programs for Pi.

But only Console for the moment. No idea if and when Desktop or Web programs will be possible.[/quote]

This is perfect, at least for me… since all I’d ever be running on a Raspberry Pi is a bash-only install of linux w/ a console-based service app.

Maybe for x86, this can do ?
http://www.zotac.com/us/products/mini-pcs/zbox-nano-series/product/zbox-nano-series.html

Or http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html

The one thing to make sure of is that the CPU supports SSE and not just x87 floating point.

http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/

Runs on an Intel Atom processor… and under $100.

EDIT: Okay, so not under $100. Apparently that was the older version. Again, alternatives are there if you want to pay for it. :slight_smile:

[quote=200472:@Michel Bujardet]It is no secret, it has been announced at XDC by Geoff : 2015R3 will enable creating console programs for Pi.

But only Console for the moment. No idea if and when Desktop or Web programs will be possible.[/quote]

Oh wait - Only console will be enabled on the Pi. Oh crud. There goes my plans. Drat! :frowning:

Michel - where has it been stated that Pi support will be console only…

Web will be supported too for 2015r3.

At the very least, I’m stating it here :).

[quote=200489:@Joe Ranieri]Web will be supported too for 2015r3.

At the very least, I’m stating it here :).[/quote]

Well, that’s very good on the web bit. That gets me at least to 50% of where I want to be. Hopefully, desktop won’t be long after that. But most of what I want to do with the Pi can be accomplished with web.

Very cool…

Two questions:

1. the supported platform it’s only Raspberry or any ARM processor compatible with Raspberry and a supported Linux variant?
  2. web applications are console apps so supported on R3?

Regards.

Verry cool. It turns just a simple hdmi-monitor + a nice Xojo application to cheap and easy to manage workstation for production environments.
And, having this stick in your pocket, you can instantly abuse your friends’ tv-set to take over your office computer… No excuse, your work goes where you go.

[quote=200640:@Joost Rongen]Verry cool. It turns just a simple hdmi-monitor + a nice Xojo application to cheap and easy to manage workstation for production environments.
And, having this stick in your pocket, you can instantly abuse your friends’ tv-set to take over your office computer… No excuse, your work goes where you go.[/quote]

The joke is you got to carry a keyboard and a mouse or a trackpad which are far bigger than the computer :wink:

We have flexible keyboards and very tiny mouses, so that also fits in you pocket.

And the next step is a computer built into the keyboard and we are back in the era of Sinclairs, Apple II, TRS-80 and Exidy Sorcerer and all the others.
As you see history repeats itself! :slight_smile:

Those were the days … and only for the happy few.

Perhaps this is a good place to start? No mouse or trackpad I know. Probably costs more than the “computer” though.

Seriously though I use these as “dumb terminals” for Windows Terminal Servers, VNC clients to remote control Mac’s & PuTTY terminals for Linux boxes (yes I have one client that runs a text based app on a Linux server).

That I can run a Xojo built app integrating with a cloud accounting service is a real bonus.