Compilation of "App" Failed

That was a Classic error meaning, if I’m not mistaken. In these days, negative error codes were errors for which the app could continue anyway (I/O errors, file not found, etc.) while positive error codes were crashes (the app wouldn’t even notice and you’d see “The application “app name” has unexpectedly quit because an error of type 2 occurred.”).
Your quoted description is one of these errors and would happen while the app runs.

Tried this. No impact (other than having time for a cup of tea whilst it re-added the plugins).

This has ballooned again. Each compile it increases. Now up to 5.5GB. => Memory Leak?

There might be something here. I tried deleting and recreating (export from Sketch) the source files. That made no difference. Then I tried deleting the reference to the file in Xojo and re-linking it. Now recompiling points to a different file as the problem item. Now it could be that all I’ve done is change the order in which it is checking them, or it could be that this is fixing the problem and that I now need to step through all 50-odd graphic files to get rid of the problem…

Project corruptions exist in Xojo (though I haven’t heard of them since a while) and this may result in similar symptoms (weird errors, RAM used way too much, crashes, etc., even difficult to track down or relate to a specific item).
If this is the issue you’re having, finding the cause is normally not so easy. On the other hand, you can always make a Feedback case (bug report), only visible to you and Xojo inc., where you describe the problem and include your project, along with the needed file(s). Xojo would then try to reproduce the problem and may attempt to find why it occurred (at least, it used to be); of course, they won’t analyse or use your project.

If it was my project, I’d start from the working, previous, version and, in a temporary project, add (copy&paste or drag&drop) newer classes/items, one at a time, from the bad project, until the issue comes again (trying to build between each item added). Compiling may fail, but you may see the weird issue at some point, then you know the last added item is the culprit (and you can then import all but the offending item, that you re-create or otherwise rewrite).

Finally, after changing out (ie deletion within Xojo and re-dragging them in again) 27 of the images it finally ran again.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

2 Likes