Begging for another Release System

I suggest Xojo Inc. calls up say 50 pro Web1 devs who haven’t posted to see what they think. That way it can be independently determined if this is really a thing or if we are just being silly. Does that sound fair enough?

We are aware of the issues with Feedback on Linux and it’s one of the reasons we are working to replace the desktop version with a web-based one.

1 Like

I’m not suggesting that anyone is being silly. I’m unaware of a single email we have received complaining about Web Framework 2.0 and I’m usually made aware of such things. That doesn’t mean it’s perfect. That doesn’t mean your concerns are not valid. I’m simply stating the facts so that we can all be operating from the same place.

Eric, we still provide tech support for Web Framework 1.0 and support deployment on Xojo Cloud. Those things have not changed.

Um, I sent you an email. Did you not see it?
Regardless, I implore you to make the calls before making the call.
Thanks for listening.

Appreciated. But cut and paste doesn’t work properly with Ubuntu IDE - a supported OS. I know it’s not all Xojos fault but it’s gotta be fixed… Half our code isn’t going to Web 2 anytime soon.

Linux ide errors are known but xojo does nothing and not only in 2019 also in 2020. last I can say about. Trouble since 2018. became a bit better but… @Geoff_Perlman this I wrote in more than one E-Mail. We are working under Linux. We are a Linux company. We don’t want windows or Mac cause our entire hardware is on Linux based. So our development is entirely on Linux. For object pascal, for c, for c++ , for java: all of it works on Linux. So we could not do Feedback. And you dare to tell me that I does no feedback? After I wrote all of it in several Mails cause there was no feedback. And for you to inform you: yes, feedback works on Linux but I can do only feedback for 2020 and not for 2019. don’t do it so that I feel like a stupid. It will not work. It is not your business. You should look what you can do to holt developers in ability to release software and provide livecycle.
As you should know there are technical rules on the market for Software. Do me a favor, before telling me how to do my stuffs please follow the rules and all of us are happy. Starting with there is no coming soon functilnality in case of basic functions. I am really upset.

1 Like

OK I think we’ve made our point of view heard. Let’s give it some time for reflection.

When did you send it? I’m usually top of emails from users and I don’t see one. Could you resend it?

Yeah and we really need to figure this one out. I’m not sure why it’s still an issue. I’ll find out.

Found it. Not sure how it got overlooked. I’ll reply to you via email.

1 Like

Maybe I’ve not seen all of them being listed, although I read the Release notes for every release, but what I’ve seen is most of them (3/4 at least) were about Web 2.0; some were fixes for other recent additions.
So most were fixes about things that have recently been added to Xojo; very few about bugs of existing things. Honestly, since I’ve not used Web 2.0 yet, none of these 161 bug fixes have affected me; I can’t even name one.
But I’m still being affected by bugs of “pre-web 2.0” components, some of which being already old, and I’m doubting to be alone encountering them.

That being said, now that Web 2.0 has shipped and most of the initial work has been done, I’m confident the available resources of Xojo inc. will be able to focus again on several areas rather than “just” web 2.0.

I haven’t done any statistical analysis. However, if a bug existed in the web framework in 2019r3 and it’s fixed in 2020r1, that’s a true bug fix. If however the bug was in 2020r1 and was fixed before we shipped, that’s a beta bug and would not be listed in the release notes.

I want to remind everyone that our engineering team does not work on one item together to the exclusion of all else. The team is quite diverse with each member usually working on something independent of the others. What ships in any given release is simply what was ready to ship.

For 2020r1 that was the new web framework, PDF support and a few other things. Work on iOS, Android and the desktop has continued all throughout the 2020r1 development cycle. When you look at our roadmap, don’t think that the items listed after the new web framework have been on hold since the release of 2019r3. Most have continued to be in active development the entire time.

5 Likes

Granted. I wasn’t specifically speaking about web only, though.

Nice to know, thanks. It’s just that the Release notes (the only list of what changed that we can see easily) don’t contain much about upcoming things.
When I read them, recently, I’ve mostly seen Web things and almost nothing about, say, desktop. Perhaps just my impression?

They won’t be about anything that didn’t ship in that release. For example, you’ll see there are no release notes about Android because Android support did not ship in 2020r1 or any previous version. Release Notes as the name implies are only about work done and shipped in that release.

Might I just add in that it is an undeniable fact that a lot of Pro users are upset, leaving or about to leave Xojo. You are losing your user base. Partly, you have been throwing it out. That feels awful, and most of us do not want to see Xojo go down.
Please, find out why. And correct it.
Get in touch urgently. You know all the names.

8 Likes

I have hundreds of things reported and waiting in reviewed status.
Xojo Inc. is limited in resources.

And I would again volunteer to offer help.
e.g. debug selected issues we have and provide diffs to engineer case on how to fix it in a way, that checking my changes and applying them takes less time than doing it all yourself.

9 Likes

I am sure @Geoff_Perlman is already doing it, because he contacted us nearly 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps we are talking about two different things. You have 10 cases that are in Needs Review status.

Correct. But 390 in reviewed and 123 in Verified state.
I’d really like to see some things getting addressed with updates to compiler & debugger.

8 Likes