Apple beta release and NDA

I know, it has been discussed before but reading this article Apple Has (Partly) Lifted the NDA for Beta Releases I thought we may reconsider the decision not to discuss about MacOS Yosemite here.
It quotes Section “10.1 Information Deemed Apple Confidential” from Apple :

It would be too bad not to share our feedback about the next release until the fall in those condition. What do you think ?

Well the thing is not every developer here has access to Mac OS Y (I’m feeling clever today more info here), nor do we have access to Xojo code that could cause issues. So bickering over features/functions that get borked in Mac OS Y (seriously, it better catch on) that not everyone can test, and that nobody can fix seems kind of pointless; even if it is allowed by the NDA.

Personally I’m hoping that the Xojo team does their due diligence with the betas to make sure products created with Xojo work correctly, as well as look and feel native on the new OS before Mac OS Y goes live. I am however, not too optimistic about it, as the feeling from the 64 bit conundrum came off as, “we’re focusing on iOS more than anything.”

The idea was not to discuss about new features but rather to share our experience about how our existing applications work under the last MacOS. Like Carbon applications, embedded html objects or simply how the novel MacOS objects that follow the updated design are, or not, well incorporated in our pre-compiled applications.
I do not think it would break any NDA as long as we do not provide screenshot.
But somehow, if I was allowed to share my feedback, I would simply congratulate Xojo… :wink:

64 bit conundrum ?
There’s no conundrum - just a boat load of work to do that right at this second is not top priority - iOS is
But thats not to say no work is going on towards 64 bit

[quote=95073:@Norman Palardy]64 bit conundrum ?
There’s no conundrum - just a boat load of work to do that right at this second is not top priority - iOS is
But thats not to say no work is going on towards 64 bit[/quote]

“Just a boat load of work”. I’m calling bullshit. It does not take 3+ fucking years (yes, years) to switch to 64 bit. You claim that iOS is top priority, why wasn’t it top priority two years ago?

If Xamarin can offer DAY ONE support on new releases and technology, why can’t Xojo?

This is why I left Xojo. It’s way too far behind and littered with bugs.

…and there you are, Franck. There are some topics which just seem to bring out the Trolls, and “development direction” is one of them.

“How to win friends and influence people” :slight_smile:

[quote=95073:@Norman Palardy]64 bit conundrum ?
But thats not to say no work is going on towards 64 bit[/quote]
Conundrum might not be the right word, I couldn’t think of the right word for everyone being worried about Monday’s announcements. Just my observations of priorities.

[quote=95092:@Shane Gibbs]“Just a boat load of work”. I’m calling bullshit. It does not take 3+ fucking years (yes, years) to switch to 64 bit. You claim that iOS is top priority, why wasn’t it top priority two years ago?

If Xamarin can offer DAY ONE support on new releases and technology, why can’t Xojo?

This is why I left Xojo. It’s way too far behind and littered with bugs.[/quote]
I always appreciate the thoughtful replies
Thanks for your support

• hundreds of thousands of lines of working code to update and NOT break existing projects just in the cocoa end of things
  • add in hundreds of thousands of lines for linux & windows
  • toss in a new IDE
  • new framework
  • new compilers
  • new linkers
  • update 15+ years of existing code
    hmmm yeah we can do that in a week … why not ? :stuck_out_tongue:

oh and NOT a ton of automated tools to catch all the really special spots that will for sure cause problems
you see in 32 bit land folks sometimes treated integer as if it was a pointer - they’re close enough
but not in 64 bit land and when you have to hand audit a few hundred thousand lines of code …. and catch the static casts and C casts to integer that are LEGAL code but NOT the intended code …

But I assume since you can authoritatively cry “bullshit” that you’ve done such an amount of work and found that you just hit “recompile” on your 15+ years of code and it just magically worked first time.
Awesome for you.

Typical… You can’t see that Xojo is so behind and buggy? Let’s see:

1. Alignment Show stopper Bugs. Check. (See Case #31338 and the referenced case in the comments in 31338)
  2. No 64bit support. Check (Announced THREE years ago)
  3. No iOS. Check. (Announced TWO years ago)
  4. No Android Support. Check. (Has been feature requested since 2010.)

Xamarin:

1. iOS 5, 6, 7, 7.1 day one support. Check.
  2. Google Glass support: Check.
  3. Android/Windows Phone: Check.
  4. One code base for GUI. Check. See Xamarin.Forms.
  5. Android Wear Day One Support. Check.
  6. Tool to convert ObjC libraries to C#. Check. See Objective Sharpie.

Don’t say that Xamarin requires Mono. Xojo requires the RBFramework. I’m obviously a troll because you don’t want people to know the truth. Can’t wait to see your response.

Folks will label you a troll because [quote=95092:@Shane Gibbs]This is why I left Xojo.[/quote] yet here you are ….

• end of feeding time -

Why do people ALWAYS correlate “posting in forum = using product”?

I don’t think they do
Its posting in a forum you claimed to leave

Because if you don’t use this product, then what value is your post? You claimed you left, then what possible good does it do anybody, including yourself, to be badmouthing the product on its own Forum. IMHO, that’s the definition of trolling.

I hate turnips, but I wouldn’t email the farm and say “YOUR TURNIPS ARE POOPY AND THEY ARE NOT AS NICE AS MUSHROOMS”.
:slight_smile:

Poopy FTW.

[quote=95146:@Richard Summers]I hate turnips, but I wouldn’t email the farm and say “YOUR TURNIPS ARE POOPY AND THEY ARE NOT AS NICE AS MUSHROOMS”.
:)[/quote]
It’s more like actually going to the turnip farm and… and… and… shouting abuse at the people there… who are… they’re there enjoying the turnips… at a turnip restaurant just behind the farm.

Abandon this, it’s not working.

[quote=95121:@Shane Gibbs]Alignment Show stopper Bugs. Check. (See Case #31338 and the referenced case in the comments in 31338)
[/quote]

Why in the world would anyone think that bug report is showstopper?

• KAren

And then, he actually claims that he previously left the turnip restaurant due to bad turnips, but has now simply returned in order to see what is happening in the world of turnips!