Api 2.0 Name changes vs performance changes?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Do not work with 19r2 / Eventsbecause they will be changed in19r2.1 (as I understand on what is wrote above) ?

yeah theyā€™re never going to say that and it should not have been said publicly on this thread either

No, afaik, theyā€™d better do that at first :frowning:

To satisfy the Powers that Be: <https://xojo.com/issue/58078>

Andā€¦ the case isnā€™t public anymore.

Reallyā€¦ are they going to go through all tickets now and mark them as private for the few days until possible release? Are we getting that petty now that helping fellow users is less important than keeping this information private for a possible few more days?

That the case was EVER public was a mistake. It should have been marked as a accessible only to beta testers. Those of you who are beta testers know the rules. We have been very consistent about this. No discussions about beta until the release ships. We donā€™t attempt to judge every release independently to decide if itā€™s OK to break this rule simply because we are close to release. Things sometimes change even at the last minute. Consequently, we stick to that rule as closely as possible.

We have learned the hard way that itā€™s better to wait until a release ships to discuss the details publicly.

Except that this sequence (and Iā€™m not in the pre-release group any more, so just commenting on what has been stated publicly here) SHOULD have been mentioned by you or someone else at Xojo since the changes in 2.1 appear to lay waste to the hours that some of us have spent in our refactoring work in trying to come to grips with the mess that API 2.0 introduced in 19r2.

Once the decision to change things back was made, it should have been broadcast quite widely.

Iā€™m sorry this situation has caused you so much grief.

When we made the decision to attempt to resolve the event issue, we originally didnā€™t think the ultimate step we took would even be necessary. It was only after it was clear that other methods wouldnā€™t not be sufficient that we made the decision we did. Given how close we were to shipping (and that this particular issue isnā€™t an issue for the average user), contacting every user about it prior to even shipping seemed like overkill. We are very careful about how often we contact users via email.

This had to do with your name change. If you contact customer service, they can get you back on the pre-release channel.

Iā€™ve pinged Alyssa.

I am curious who you consider your average customer (note I said customer, not user that never pays for a license) to be.

Outside of using the the product for so long (over 18 years) I would not think i am all that different from a large segment of your customers.

I have no real formal training in coding, and have never had a job where coding was in my job description. But I do code to create things that help me and the people i work with in our jobs and like being able to create things in code

Even for the work stuff, I do it on my own initiative, mostly on my own time, and my own dime.

I would think that applies to a large segment of your customer base!

Yet if i had decided to update any existing code for r2, or started something new with it, it would have been an issue for me. Depending on how much code, either a minor annoyance or a major headache!

• karen

Average might be the wrong word. We have hobbyists, citizen developers (the largest segment) and professional developers. You sound like you fall into the citizen developer category but within that category thereā€™s a wide range of skill levels.

I understand that API 2.0 does not feel like a benefit to you. However, thatā€™s not what we are hearing from the majority of customers. R2 is the most-used version of Xojo and we are getting very few complaints. Iā€™m not saying that your feelings are unwarranted. Iā€™m just telling you what we are seeing on our end.

I tend to turn update checks off and a lot of people I know block Xojo from phoning home at all
I would expect that skews the stats a fair bit

[quote=463818:@Geoff Perlman]
I understand that API 2.0 does not feel like a benefit to you. However, thatā€™s not what we are hearing from the majority of customers. R2 is the most-used version of Xojo and we are getting very few complaints.[/quote]

As R2 is recent, i have to ask are you speaking of licensed users or all users?

Secondly (and this could apply to licensed users too) how do you know this early on if they are not just kicking the tires trying deciding if they want to adapt it, or actually are committing to it without looking back?

I would expect most kicking the tires and not liking it would tend not to complain as well.

Also, what I have seen over the years is that many will not move to a new release for real work if they in the middle of a project, even if doing some tire kickingā€¦ And that is advice i have seen dispensed on the forum and NUG many, many times over the years.

Why I ask that, is because that seems to me to be a very unexpectedly high adaption rate this soon after any release!

BTW my scientific training and lab experience makes me always want to check underlying assumptions!

-Karen

Current users only (users that can create applications with 19r2)Ā… I suppose.

Free users are excluded (who knows if they ever will buy a license ?) and old users: who knows if they will ever update ? So the only valid customers are the one that are current !

[quote=463819:@Norman Palardy]I tend to turn update checks off and a lot of people I know block Xojo from phoning home at all
I would expect that skews the stats a fair bit[/quote]
It would have to be hundreds and hundreds of people all of whom both block the Xojo license check and arenā€™t using the current version. That doesnā€™t seem likely.

I know at least 200 who do this

[quote=463820:@Karen Atkocius]As R2 is recent, i have to ask are you speaking of licensed users or all users?

Secondly (and this could apply to licensed users too) how do you know this early on if they are not just kicking the tires trying deciding if they want to adapt it, or actually are committing to it without looking back?

I would expect most kicking the tires and not liking it would tend not to complain as well.

Also, what I have seen over the years is that many will not move to a new release for real work if they in the middle of a project, even if doing some tire kickingā€¦ And that is advice i have seen dispensed on the forum and NUG many, many times over the years.

Why I ask that, is because that seems to me to be a very unexpectedly high adaption rate this soon after any release!

BTW my scientific training and lab experience makes me always want to check underlying assumptions!

-Karen[/quote]
Licensed users as thatā€™s what is going on: a license key check.

When thereā€™s something wrong that affects a lot of users in a release, we definitely hear about it. :slight_smile:

Most users download the latest version and just continue their projects. When you have a large, sophisticated project, switching in the middle of a development cycle is almost never a good idea no matter what language/tool you are using. However, most users (of again nearly any language/tool) arenā€™t creating large, sophisticated applications. They are creating smaller apps that solve discrete problems.