A Xojo Summer Sale! loyal customer left in the cold

I mostly renew my license when it is expired. Even if the current version is good enough.

I can’t talk about the alpha verion here but I can confirm 64bit will work fine for OS X and Windows in Xojo 2015r3 (thats the next upcomming release). So start saving those 699 (with or without discount). :slight_smile:

A woman at the helm is always good for business but bad for manhood. Take my word for it :slight_smile:

Have to go now… my wife is calling me…
“Yes honey, I’m comming right away …”

Snip.

?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

if it means less stress and more money in your pocket in the end… snip away :slight_smile:

There is too much dissatisfaction about current sales approach and that is pulling down overall goodwill, PRO-users and prospects.
Think pricing should be lean and mean, clear and simple. Once you join you benefit early adoptions, hot news, help from community etc. And yes, Xojo needs prospects buying and profit. The bigger the community the bigger the development power.
According to me, it would be a good idea to include a free xDev membership for PRO users. Would that be a good idea ?

I hope nothing will go wrong if I post into this old thread…

I never used Xojo before. I purchased license 1,5 years ago and was not aware that this license is valid for 1 year only. Now when I tried to download Xojo in order to start learning it and also try to deploy my test projects, I noticed that my license is not valid. Today I realized that I threw my money through the window. Using outdated developer tool at the beginning of learning is stupid.

Xojo will not be popular ever. Not with this expensive licensing model. Yearly prices should become prices for lifetime licenses and yearly licenses should cost fraction of that. Young developers will definitely agree with me.

Too bad you are not in charge of XOJO marketing… The license model was/is very clearly spelled out, they have a generous 90 day money back, the product is free to test with for as long as you wish…

Is it the model that the customers think is perfect? no, but then its not our product to sell… and if we as customers disagree with the model, then we vote against it by not renewing… AND, the license you have is good forever… .for the last version that was released during the active period of said license…

And oh yeah… [quote]Using outdated developer tool at the beginning of learning is stupid[/quote]
the 2015 version is not “outdated”, it just has have some tweeks in the past year. and as far as “stupid” is concerned… well, lets just say it was not me that used that word :slight_smile:

You can use the latest and greatest to learn … the IDE allows you to try any program you desire and debug it … for free (no 64-bit though).

It is probably not smart (won’t say stupid) to buy something just to try it. But Xojo deserves credit, because they actually allow you to try it at any time, no cost. You just can’t build a stand-alone program (can only run in IDE/debugger). In your case, if you like what you have on a debugging session, you can even build using your (not-so-old) license.

Although it is Maks’s mistake – never buy something without reading the “small print” stuff – it is not clear from the “Buy” page, that the license is valid for 12 months only in regards to upgrades.

That’s what the page contains:

[quote]
Simple pricing […]. No royalties or other fees.

Renewals and Upgrades
Any existing licenses may be renewed from within your account. Already have a license but want to get it all with Xojo Pro? Click here to select a license and get your discounted price.
FAQ

• How does a Xojo license subscription work?
    …[/quote]
    So one has to click on “How does a Xojo license subscription work?” to learn how the pricing model really works.

Why is this a frequently asked question? It is not a frequently asked question… it is a vital part of the license model. As a possible customer, why should I read “How does a Xojo license subscription work?” filed under FAQ after I have read “Simple pricing” and “No royalties or other fees”? It might be the aggressive American way of pushing a product – for a European like me it is somehow deceptive. At least this item of the FAQs should be expanded when you open the page the first time.

Important : the Xojo you used when your license was active until 0.5 year ago will work forever with it. So it is not as if you cannot build. You simply have to use that version. If you had not downloaded it then, look in Archived releases on the Xojo.com site.

[quote=265436:@Eli Ott]Although it is Maks’s mistake – never buy something without reading the “small print” stuff – it is not clear from the “Buy” page, that the license is valid for 12 months only in regards to upgrades.

[/quote]

I don’t think anyone should reasonably expect free updates forever, but full price renewals are not something most would expect … nor be happy with.

• Karen

It’s so difficult for Xojo to make everyone happy.

I’m happy to with new purchases and renewals being at the same price. It’s just paying for new features, updates, and fixes for a year. I even find it soothing compared to FileMaker’s pricing. :slight_smile:

I didn’t say anything like that.

I did not mean to imply you did … I meant that seemed to be the expectation of the poster you were responding to…

Either that, or that post was a reaction to full price renewals. Those have me wondering what I will do in a few years when my licenses come up for renewal.

• Karen