A Xojo Summer Sale! loyal customer left in the cold

Xojo is understandably trying to maximize their income… many of us are understandably trying minimize our expenses.

Xojo is a business and will always do what they think is best for Xojo. Sometimes what they do for that objective makes it look like they are nice to loyal customers… and sometimes not. What they do is a calculation or calculated risk to maximize profits. That is why the sale was not advertised here, even though it is obvious that would not make existing customers happy (more than a few of whom are not happy with full price renewals)

The renewal price essentially being full price has been beaten to death. If the data shows they make more money this way things will not change… If enough of us don’t renew regularly every year (compared to before the renewal pricing policy change) so that their overall income drops, the renewal pricing will change.

The numbers are what matter.

• Karen

Nope. I just got an email from xojo about the offer and thought I may share it with others.

[quote=202503:@Emile Schwarz]Also: Xojo web site says:

How frequently do you release updates?
Updates to Xojo are released quarterly.

But we get only 3 releases in 2014…[/quote]
This is true enough. But to be fair to Xojo, 2014r2.1 was a fairly substantial point release that addressed a lot of bug fixes so I didn’t feel I really missed out in 2014.

I am ok with the full renewal (sort of). I mean, bussines needs to keep running. We all try to do this at some point.
But my take on this: I was really pissed off because they did not share the current running promo here on the forum or send me (and ALL customers) a mail about it… Luckely Christian did mention it on his blog.

Christoph, have you signed up to receive newsletter emails in your Xojo account?

Yes it is (also checked that part).

Strange, because I received the email (as I have already mentioned above).

Same here

Exactly, I turned off auto renew. My new policy - I will buy a new licence when there is a new XOJO feature that I need. No more financing research and development for me.

I did not receive the email about the sale. The last one I got is from July 9.

I did set the newsletter to “Allow” in my account. And no trace in the spam folder either. I am not a good prospect, though, as I am a current Pro licensee. That may explain ?

I also did not receive the e-mail and I have both the newsletter and specials & promotions set to allow. I did receive an e-mail two days ago reminding me that my update plan expires this week, but without any mention of the summer sale. Thank you to Christian and Christoph for bringing it to our attention here.

I got the email on 22.07.2015.

Likewise I received the email. My Pro license ran out a year ago & I didn’t renew. For me iOS wasn’t needed & I really wanted 64 bit Linux console. I know that’s coming so I jumped on the offer & have a new license.

To be honest seeing as renewals are priced same as new licenses I was surprised that the offer specifically excluded renewals.

However I’m back in the fold & I may diddle with iOS as I have an idea!!!

I like Xojo & I’m one of those in & out renewal types anyhow.

Cheers Richard.

I’m just in a perpetual state of confusion on Xojo licensing and pricing. This is the first I have heard of this offer, I checked all my emails and no mention of it (I assume because I am current user?). My Licenses expires in about 3 weeks, should I buy a new one and let the old one lapse? Does that do anything to my current account?

I don’t mind paying for R&D, it benefits me in the end anyway. But I’m getting to the point where trying to figure all this out just hurts my head and for my own sanity probably best just to renew for 2 years and take the 10% discount. I understand the vendor’s point of view, a new license is very desirable and any discounts that can make that happen is good for business. From our point of view a discount for repeat loyalty is what we want to see. No way to make everyone happy.

Then you profit from the current 20% discount for sure.

Christoph De Vocht,

Despite the fact you are an intelligent person, in this case your thinking is flawed. We all make mistakes from time to time, nothing wrong with that.

Dana Brown said that there is a discount now for new licences only of 20%. Later there will be a discount for renewals. I cannot understand why people with already a license, buy now new ones for the same price as their renewal. When you do not understand :

699 euro for a new license
699 euro for a renewal

I ask you, where is the benefit in that?

But it doesn’t stop here.

When later there is a renewal discount of 20 % (for example), those people buying now new licenses when they already have on, are not gonna be happy. A discount of 20% over 699 means 560.

So who are the smartest people? Exactly those who are waiting and putting their trust in Xojo inc.

I like to change the sentence of Christoph De Vocht :

“Then you profit from the current 20% discount for sure, but you loose when there is a renewal discount.”

I can understand your sentimental and emotional reaction, but believe me, there will be a renewal discount for you too. I am a very long time customer of Xojo (since version 5.2) and I know Xojo inc respect and appreciate their loyal userbase very much. Next time when you feel left behind or frustrated, just contact Xojo inc customer care and explain your situation with them. Do not use the forums to release your frustration and emotions because that is very unprofessional. There are enough wars in the world so there is no need to start another one here :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t want to start a flame war, but

I’d be happier if more of our full price Pro renewal dollars somehow got assigned to fix the low-hanging fruit in the IDE and controls. Just doing a mammoth stint here and I need to restart the IDE every few hours cuz it lags badly. Control attributes, property values, etc often aren’t saved unless you hit the magic key (is it tab or enter?, return or focus change fails), option-enter autocompletion is different depending on the indent/nesting level (wtf?), and IDE autocompletion has turned into a joke. Arghh. Feels like I’m constantly fighting with the IDE. I’m sure you all have similar peeves.

I was upbeat to hear Xojo acknowledged the IDE is basically an unfixable mess at their conference. Now less so, since all these issues will probably be neglected to be fixed since a new IDE is coming. So, another 2-3 years down the drain to barely get to stage Studio was at when discontinued. Same with W32 controls and .NET. And . It’s very discouraging sometimes.

As it stands, I’ll happily renew at 700 US a year, but fix this darn stuff already and stop being contrary to/downplaying customer’s issues. At some point this stuff has to get fixed, and “We’re working on more important issues” doesn’t cut it forever. Do a 10.6 release if that’s what it takes. Pretty please - here’s my money.

[quote=202618:@Chris Verberne]
699 euro for a new license
699 euro for a renewal

I ask you, where is the benefit in that?

But it doesn’t stop here.
When later there is a renewal discount of 20 % (for example), those people buying now new licenses when they already have on, are not gonna be happy. A discount of 20% over 699 means 560.
So who are the smartest people? Exactly those who are waiting and putting their trust in Xojo inc.
I like to change the sentence of Christoph De Vocht :
“Then you profit from the current 20% discount for sure, but you loose when there is a renewal discount.”[/quote]

Well, I now payed 559 instead of 699. So got the 20% discount for sure before my license expires within 3 weeks.
And I highly doubt Xojo Inc will give a bigger discount for renewals in the near future. However, if they do, I made a wrong judgement. Proof me wrong. :slight_smile:

[quote=202618:@Chris Verberne]
Next time when you feel left behind or frustrated, just contact Xojo inc customer care and explain your situation with them[/quote]

So next time my license expires I send Xojo Inc a mail to ask for a discount? Interesting business strategy… :slight_smile:

You can ask, doesn’t mean they will give you one :wink:

When you are happy with your new license, then I am happy for you too. I am not the kind of person who wants to spoil other peoples parade.

At acra-endeavours we do not upgrade when their is a discount. We base our upgrade decision on the fact if there are usefull new features or bug fixes for us. The present Xojo 2015 r2.2 is very stable and working for us. Also for years we asked for 64bit, which we still not received. Also Xojo for Windows is still no priority for Xojo inc, rather they are working on the Rasphberry platform (which is of no use for us because we use Arduino for our automation projects) It is their business and we are only a very small company located in Gaborone - Botswana (Africa).

Normally we also update on the moment the licence expires to support Xojo R&D. But this time because of lack of goodwill from the side of Xojo inc for the Windows platform, we decided to postpone the renewal until we are convinced 64bit is working and we see improvements on the Windows platform too. Also the lack of Android support is not working in Xojo’s favour but we can live with that. Their market is on the Macintosh - IOS side, not on Windows anymore.

For us quality is much more important than the price. The reason we do not upgrade over one month is that Xojo no longer deliver the quality for our standards. It is simple like that. The lack of 64bit and lack of innovation on the Windows platform are the reasons. From the moment they fullfill that again, we will update immediatelly.

I like to work with Xojo very much and it is an excellent development tool. Only I am not alone in the decision making here and finally my wife which is the manager, has the last word. In her opinion, presently we can do with the current version of Xojo. When 64bit for Windows is released, I am sure I can convince her. But until that time, even when the Pro version would be 200 euro, she will never give her go for an update and she can be very convincing.

Everybody here has to respect each others opinions, even when they do not agree with each other. It is a pleasure to see that even on such a hot subject, with people pro and contra, there is so much respect for each others comments and remarks.

I think there is enough said now about the subject. I have to start working again.

Wish you all a very nice day and all the best.

Chris