A Xojo Summer Sale! loyal customer left in the cold

Any reason why I have to read this on another blog (MBS) about this?
Why aren’t royal customers informed about this? (did checked my spambox too).
It seems it is cheaper to buy a new license for now instead of renewing your existing (correct me if I am wrong).

http://www.mbs-plugins.de/archive/2015-07-23/A_Xojo_Summer_Sale/monkeybreadsoftware_blog_xojo

Pretty annoyed by this !!!
In fact, I am really pissed about this ! Way to go Xojo Inc… :-/

Xojo’s best-kept secret…

The pricing doesn’t make any sense to me, too.

Ahem, I think you mean loyal and not royal. Autocorrect problems? :slight_smile:

FWIW, they’ve also been tweeting about the offer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/xojo/status/624282110023614466

I hate tweet, don’t use tweek, … :slight_smile:

Because my license expires on 15 august 2015 my guess is I have to go for a new license (-20% discount).
But it is very unclear when I buy it today, do I need to activate it today too? Can I wait until my other Pro license expires? (again very unclear).

I think it’s OK for Xojo to make offers like this, regardless of how logical, or illogical their other pricing appears - especially as [quote]PS: If your license expires within the next month, it’s cheaper to buy a new one than the upgrade! [/quote] appears at the end of the offer notice on MBS.

But, having said that, I feel it does diminish these forums not to have announced it here.

[quote=202487:@Christoph De Vocht]Because my license expires on 15 august 2015 my guess is I have to go for a new license (-20% discount).
But it is very unclear when I buy it today, do I need to activate it today too? Can I wait until my other Pro license expires? (again very unclear).[/quote]
I have just purchased a new licence to benefit from the 20% discount and it is active right away. But there were only a couple of days left on my old one.

I agree, it does look as if Xojo had tried to sell under the counter. Fact is, discounting heavily to regulars of this forum may be counterproductive, especially for Pro, as we all renew faithfully without extra incentive. I guess what they are trying to do is to get some percentage of the 80,000 users to go from Desktop or Platform to Pro, or simply to renew after their license has lapsed away.

Admittedly, this forum is far from representing the totality of Xojo users, even if quality supersedes quantity :D.

Maybe they bought the advertisement on the MonkeyBread site.

When I bought the Pro package earlier this year to get iOS, Xojo extended the new license with the remainder time on the old. I suspect Xojo may do the same on a case by case basis if one contacts them about buying the discount. It does not hurt to ask, anyway.

[quote=202475:@Christoph De Vocht]Any reason why I have to read this on another blog (MBS) about this?
Why aren’t royal customers informed about this? (did checked my spambox too).[/quote]
I received an email on July 23:

[quote]New Xojo Licenses are 20% off!
Special savings on new licenses through July 27th
…[/quote]
Interestingly the instructions given don’t work or I don’t understand the procedure to get the discount.

Not sure this is the case anymore - used to be that I just considered a renewal cost part of my yearly outgoings because of previous discounting. Had a bit of a Twitter blast (not rant!) on this yesterday, until yesterday I thought that renewing was the same price as buying new so couldn’t understand why you would renew - I know this has been done to death so won’t regurgitate it all here and derail the thread.

It seems the only benefit to renewing is if you get a 2 year renewal you get a 10% discount - Only discovered this yesterday. So if you don’t want 2 years your better off letting the license lapse and study the release notes until a new version has something you need which could save you months in a renewed license your not getting benefit from.

We may have to update because of OS introduced bugs: what if El Capitan does not runs correctly an application created with 2015r1 and your license ends before El Capitn is out ?

Also: Xojo web site says:

How frequently do you release updates?
Updates to Xojo are released quarterly.

But we get only 3 releases in 2014

At last, when I checked, a current license is twice the price I paid for two years ago and last only for one year (that is 4 times higher than two years ago ?). Of course, if I had some application to earn from, this would not be a problem, but it is not the case.

[quote=202500:@Patrick Delaney]@Michel Bujardet …as we all renew faithfully without extra incentive…
Not sure this is the case anymore [/quote]

You are right. What I wanted to say was that through renewal or new purchase, some of us will make sure to keep their Pro license current. Actually, this year I did buy a new one.

Offering a special incentive for renewal would be akin to the stores member programs, or Amazon Premium, which are intended to increase customers faithfulness. My point was that a lot of us are already faithful, so maybe Xojo is not considering it priority to make us more dedicated. Some would call that taking us for granted…

If your not licensed and an OS bug thats bugging ( :slight_smile: ) you is fixed in a new version then thats a reason to pay for a new license. EC is still in Beta, when the bugs become known Xojo will/should fix them but they can’t give that work away for free, it’s part of a new Xojo release?

[quote=202503:@Emile Schwarz]Also: Xojo web site says:

How frequently do you release updates?
Updates to Xojo are released quarterly.

But we get only 3 releases in 2014…[/quote]
This I have sympathy with, if you advertise quarterly and release 3 versions in the year then, strictly speaking, I’m not getting what I paid for. I’ve never really worried about it myself but I get the issue.

We do sales on different licenses at different times throughout the year and we do offer renewal sales, but this sale is geared towards prospects and offering them a discount on their new license. Anyone can take advantage of the sale, of course. We can’t discount everything at the same time and we are not the only company who manages their sales like this. We value our loyal customers very much but the purpose of this particular is to convert prospective Xojo users. We do have something for everyone at different times so make sure you stay opted in to our mailing list so you are notified when they are announced.

My license is due in December, this may be the first time in a LONG time I don’t automatically renew. The 10%, 2 year thing is the benefit to auto-renewing - as I said - I wasn’t aware of this so wasn’t getting the renewal policy. So my choices in December are two fold

• Take the 10% and renew for 2 years
    Or
  • Don’t renew and study the release notes

I’ve been vocal in my criticism of Xojo over the last 18 months, some justified - some not - a lot of my criticism has been due to some business stuff that went on. But the licensing changes haven’t really been the problem in my mind. Just a shame I did some of this criticism in a public forum (twitter) - lessons learnt.

There are even a 30% discount from this site: http://couponfollow.com/site/xojo.com?ref=1709284

For years I used to renew my Pro license every time it ran out. I don’t anymore. Not my fault.

Somehow I don’t get it, that they don’t get it, that the most important thing for a small company is consistency (and I don’t mean the price scheme only).

That is an expired coupon from an old sale.

[quote=202498:@Eli Ott]I received an email on July 23:

New Xojo Licenses are 20% off!
Special savings on new licenses through July 27th

Interestingly the instructions given don’t work or I don’t understand the procedure to get the discount.[/quote]

Double checked. Never got a mail.

Anyhow, bought a new Pro license anyway. I had only 21 days left for my current license. :slight_smile: