2016R1 crash when searching

If I open my project and start to search for anything in 2016R1 (OS X), like as not the IDE will crash. I’ve submitted some bug reports along with my project. Sometimes it seems that if I do some other work before trying a search (after opening the project, that is), then all is OK, and searches work as expected. But just now, after continuing development, I tried replacing the search term in the search area and another crash ensued. If this continues I shall have to drop back a version.

You’re not alone
I’ve seen this
It’s just darned hard to reproduce on demand - I spent about 4 hours one day with all kinds of projects etc trying to do this

<https://xojo.com/issue/43318>

Tim, what happens to your edits when such a crash occurs? They’re not lost, are they?

It’s a hard crash - they are :frowning:

Bit me today. I tried for 1/2 hour or so to duplicate it with no luck. (OS X)

Looking at the crash report now. Do you know who created Thread 1? AppKit or Xojo runtime? Probably not Xojo, that would look different. I wonder if that’s the thread for the animation.
I also wonder why JavaScriptCore appears in many of the threads. That’s the IDE on OSX, where does JS come into play there? But that’s probably irrelevant to the crash.

This could be related to an OS X issue since fixed in 10.11- has anyone run into this on 10.11?

I’ve seen no such crash on 10.11 and i use Search (& Replace) a lot

Windows7 64bit, search and replace functions in IDE don`t crash here.

I think my edits were lost. But as the crashes were mostly happening immediately after loading the project, because I wanted to do a search straight away, there could well have been no edits anyway. And once I get bitten by that sort of thing, I tend to switch into “frequent save mode”.

I’m running under Mavericks 10.9.5, by the way.

(and here f’rinstance, I typed all this and then went to post it. But I’d been logged out by then. Lucky, isn’t it, that I always copy the entirety of any post before trying to post, so I can paste it back in after getting bitten by the forum software.)

Type a bit faster :wink:

So far it does seem to only manifest itself on OS X 10.9

[quote=258263:@Thomas Tempelmann]Looking at the crash report now. Do you know who created Thread 1? AppKit or Xojo runtime? Probably not Xojo, that would look different. I wonder if that’s the thread for the animation.
I also wonder why JavaScriptCore appears in many of the threads. That’s the IDE on OSX, where does JS come into play there? But that’s probably irrelevant to the crash.[/quote]
The crash report isn’t accurate in what symbols its reporting

The quoted feedback report says 10.10.5, though, doesn’t it?

I’ve only seen it on 10.9
But yeah that other report is 10.10 so maybe its present there as well

There were some release notes about 10.11 that make us suspect that Apple has fixed “something” in 10.11 that means we don’t see it there
Joe said something in passing about layer backed views but thats as much as I know

I didn’t even see it in betas and such until very late in the cycle
Mar 31 was the first time I ran into it

Which in part seems to explain why its such a pain to reproduce reliably - I’ve been using the alphas & betas daily for about 3 - 4 months

I saw this in Beta 4 (on OS X 10.9) but wasn’t able to reproduce so the case was closed. I didn’t get a hard crash then though, Xojo launched feedback and let me submit the report.

I cant find a report from you about this that was marked that way
There are others - but not this crash
If you didn’t get a hard crash its probably something else

the feedback case is mine and it was with 10.10.5, its only happened once up to now.

I saw yours
I was responding to jason who said he reported it earlier
I cant find it

That’s happening to me, also, but it only seems to happen if there is a spelling autocorrect popup showing for the text I typed. If I close the popup first and then do the search it’s ok.