2016R1 crash when searching

I’ll post the case ID tomorrow when I get back to my computer.

no problem - I just want to look it over as if it is the same there might be clues in it that are useful

What version of OS X ?

Mine was 10.10.5 as well. Only one occurrence and I use search quite a bit.

Here is the case: <https://xojo.com/issue/42712>

Ah yeah that is definitely a different cause than the hard crash in the other case I mentioned

Ah the autocorrect popup is not the same issue
Curious though

Happened to me on 10.10.5.

Theres a couple notes in the 10.11 release notes that lead us to suspect Apple fixed it in 10.11 (not sure which specific point release but .4 looks like the most likely)

This has now happened several times under OS X 10.9.5, although I didn’t see it in any of the betas.

I have added some Terminal output to my private Case # 42583, which might show something useful.

[quote=258406:@Norman Palardy]Ah the autocorrect popup is not the same issue
Curious though[/quote]
I failed to mention previously that I’m getting that when searching the language reference, not directly in the IDE, although the entire IDE crashes.

[quote=258553:@Richard Corlett]This has now happened several times under OS X 10.9.5, although I didn’t see it in any of the betas.

I have added some Terminal output to my private Case # 42583, which might show something useful.[/quote]
Just FYI there’s really no reason that case SHOULD be private
Your project is not attached

And if you create a public case you CAN attach a private note to it that keeps the case public but things like projects & attachments private

That way others can see there is a report & attach their reports to this one instead of having, in this specific instance, numerous (I counted 10 already) duplicates

Juts something to keep in mind

Yes - yours is a different issue which I believe is fixed for a future release

By all means make it visible to everyone. It was private only because it was an auto-submitted crash report during the beta cycle.

I am seeing this also in 10.10.5 on two different machines (MacBook Air and an older MacBook Pro non-retina). It seems to happen if the project is freshly loaded. If you do some “other stuff” in the IDE you may not see the crash. Some testing shows a RUN in the IDE, even if the project has something that will not compile (syntax error), may be sufficient to eliminate future crashes when doing a search.

One odd thing, but I cannot reproduce it reliably, are these steps:

1. Open the 2016r1 IDE
  2. Load the project (fairly small)
  3. Search (no instant crash) but results shown (intentionally a string of not found characters)
  4. Search again and get an immediate crash

Also I do have the MBS plugins loaded on both machines.

Soooooo …

If you have access to the Beta program, please try the version available there to see if it resolves the issue for you and leave feedback there.

Did you check <https://xojo.com/issue/43217>? The status is now “Fixed & Verified”

As a newly registered user, how often are these fixes pushed out? This crash bites me about once every other day.