10.7 and 10.8 Deprecated!!!!!

I see from the wiki that with 2016r1 10.7 and 10.8 will be deprecated.

I work in a company of about 50 people with a lot of Macs but absolutely no IT support, so OS upgrades don’t happen with any predictability. Most uses don’t have apple accounts and many are reluctant Mac users.

A few of the Macs are still on 10.6 … but those are not my primary users…

But a lot of my users are on 10.7 and 10.8… I hope support for those are not removed anytime soon!!!

• Karen

+1

I wonder if it has a technical reason or is just a thing to reduce the need of testing.

We generally support 3 versions
10.11, 10.10 and 10.9
But 10.7 and 10.8 also impose some technical limitations that we’d like to move on from

And FWIW “deprecated” doesn’t mean “removed” so theres no need to panic

It’s not as if 2015r4 is suddenly going to stop working, even if it was removed. But it’s just deprecated.

Anybody got a link to the wiki?

Depending on what’s changed within Xojo you might be fine. Don’t forget that with 10.10 and 10.11 Apple have changed a lot of APIs, and Xojo does need to keep up with Apple.

Working on a new project at the moment that needs to be compatible with El Capitan, and I may drop 10.9 support to make my life easier. I wish I could drop 10.10 and 10.11, but alas I cannot.

http://developer.xojo.com/deprecations

Hang on… Graphics.Pixel is deprecated???
What the…

That … seems like overkill. What’s left if you drop 9, 10, 11?

[quote=255859:@Jeff Tullin]Hang on… Graphics.Pixel is deprecated???
What the…[/quote]
Can’t even find it in the documentation. I always thought deprecated items are just marked as deprecated, not that their documentation is removed too.

[quote=255867:@Markus Winter]@Jeff Tullin Hang on… Graphics.Pixel is deprecated???
What the…
Can’t even find it in the documentation. I always thought deprecated items are just marked as deprecated, not that their documentation is removed too.[/quote]
No, it’s still there: http://developer.xojo.com/graphics
You might have seen that RGBSurface.Pixel is still fully available. Not only that it’s faster: With Retina and HiDPI support the base unit of a Graphics object is points, not pixels. I think it is very logical Graphics.pixel which was always only working on pixel-based graphics objects has been deprecated and the method is only available on the RGBSurface where you handle pixels anyway.

Nope. At least not when viewed on my iPad. But the new documentation is atrocious when viewed on my iPad anyway - links not working (at all), text all bunched up and overlaying, can’t scroll, etc

On the desktop I can actually scroll down and find pixel.

[quote=255859:@Jeff Tullin]Hang on… Graphics.Pixel is deprecated???
What the…[/quote]

It should be said that while it is deprecated, it has not been removed, so you have time to refactor your code to use RGBSurface.Pixel instead.

I’m sure I remember that not all graphics objects have an RGBSurface…

but that may be ‘old’ thinking too, since we can no longer use graphics of 2 or 8 bits-per-pixel any more either. (They had their uses and were more memory efficient in their place.)

In a way you could even say they are the exception. Which has always been the case:

You can of course always use DrawRect or FillRect with very small rectangles to simulate a pixel.set in the Graphics object.

[quote=255879:@Markus Winter]Nope. At least not when viewed on my iPad. But the new documentation is atrocious when viewed on my iPad anyway - links not working (at all), text all bunched up and overlaying, can’t scroll, etc

On the desktop I can actually scroll down and find pixel.[/quote]
Indeed. Totally unusable on an iOS device.

;-:):

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/SQLiteDatabase

still is here…

and: site:documentation.xojo.com SQLiteDatabase
returns 14,000 entries !

[quote=255891:@Emile Schwarz];-:):

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/SQLiteDatabase

still is here…

and: site:documentation.xojo.com SQLiteDatabase
returns 14,000 entries ![/quote]

Why do you even question SQLiteDatabase? Did I miss something?

Mac OS 7.5.3, one of my favorite releases :slight_smile: