XDC sessions should be also available per presentation

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 weeks ago

Rick A

May 10 (Brazil. GMT-3:00)

Nope. Not a discussion about internal preferences. I don't care. I'm not the director or CEO. All I am entitled to do are suggestions and I did it. Gave my 2 cents of intro to 21st Century, explained the losses, and that's all. ;)

3. Norman P

May 10 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Alberta Canada

I don't disagree as I know selling them in ones and two's and small bundles can work from past experience

4. Rick A

May 10 (Brazil. GMT-3:00)

By the way, nice to "see" you, Norm. You were absent for too long in the forum.

5. Christian S

May 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

If you don’t have $299 for the videos, you could wait for a sale and grab them with discount...

6. Christian S

And per video would certainly not be $10, but more $99, so three make it worth to buy the whole collection.

7. Jean-Yves P

May 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

this one video sell has been discussed here after each xdc, and never came as individual cells.
    I also would buy some video but not all. so they got $0 from me instead of $50 may be for 3-5 videos ?
    that's business. I still don't understand why they don't do it, but it's their property.

8. Joost R

May 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro The Netherlands

@ChristianSchmitz If you don’t have $299 for the videos, you could wait for a sale and grab them with discount...

What is the relevance of old videos ?

Every XDC I see the same discussion about the video's. I understand Xojo wants to make the video-project cost-effective, but don't see the added value of single cam video's . I experience a good webinar as more valuable.
    @Paul L does a recap of XDC 2019.

9. Rick A

May 11 (Brazil. GMT-3:00)
    Edited 2 weeks ago

@ChristianSchmitz If you don’t have $299 for the videos, you could wait for a sale and grab them with discount...

@ChristianSchmitz And per video would certainly not be $10, but more $99, so three make it worth to buy the whole collection.

Two bad assumptions Christian. Let's do some more assumptions. What about I don't value them as you do? What if I don't care about the videos as important to me, but I just wished to help, the business and the users, at the same time? What if, besides being a developer, I'm an expert in marketing (including digital) that worked for years in the field?
    In another thread we discussed about Udemy, have you experienced buying ENTIRE COURSES of the thousand subjects there? I do have access to dozens of bought courses, tutorials, etc from MANY SOURCES including Udemy, including 3 I bought and NEVER watched because lacking time to do so, but I wished to get that content at that time, and the price wasn't significant to avoid doing it. We call it impulse sales . When you buy something, because you see a good offer by a not significant price, you just buy it for your collection of "to watch later". We are talking about pricing things in the range of beers, sandwiches, pizzas, coffee; not Apple HomePods. The concept of In-App transactions to buy upgrades in software came from the same human behavior analysis, from a certain value up (hard to define) people just give up a sale not valuing an item as much the seller, but if you break the price in some modular way, given a good value for very good price, people will buy it and later many will buy the upgrades. You converted the zero sales to significant sales. We live in the world you give games away for free, completely usable, fun, etc; but if your game character wants to have a Ferrari, you must call the in-game inventory panel and buy him one for $0,99. This way some changed $1000 sales of $9,99 priced games to $100000 sales of $0,00 priced games, continuously, after the first sale, because more people will be impacted, and people return for more, not significant priced items, they don't care to spend in a blink. Don't get me started about MP3 and music world again. :D That's the current world, live it as it is, or lose opportunities without even noticing it.

10. Christian S

Well, the FileMaker people put their sessions on YouTube. No charge.

11. Rick A

Yes. They just want to sell FileMakers. Not "conference videos".

12. Garry P

May 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Torquay, UK)

Another thing to note is that you can’t always judge a book by its cover. Several of the talks I watched were not what I expected - they were far more interesting. If I was just presented with a list of titles to choose from it’s quite possible I would miss out on some really interesting and useful topics.

13. Hal G

May 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers CampSoftware.com

@Garry P Another thing to note is that you can’t always judge a book by its cover.

So true. At least three sessions were not what I thought but helped me to see things in a different light. I've been stuck on a GUI issue and David Cox's session 'Creating a Picture Grid for Desktop and Web' helped me to rethink how to go about it in another way! Thank you @David C !!!

14. Rick A

Edited 2 weeks ago

@Garry P you can’t always judge a book by its cover. Several of the talks I watched were not what I expected - they were far more interesting

That's easily fixed by a small synopsis following each title. Write it carefully, and voilà, the interest goes up ten fold.

15. Markus W

May 11 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

@ChristianSchmitz And per video would certainly not be $10, but more $99, so three make it worth to buy the whole collection.

$99? YIKES! No way.

If they target businesses and rich clients then I do understand and wish them the best of luck.

If they target “citizen developers” then they have a very skewed idea of what a citizen developer is.

If they do something like this:

1 video - $29
    3 videos - $49
    9 videos - $99
    21 videos - $199
    35 videos - $299

then I might be tempted by the $49 or even the $99 option. But $299? There are a LOT of items with higher priority on my list.

I agree with Rick - they are leaving money on the table.

I also just did a business course. One of the core messages was “know your customer”.

But it works both ways. I don’t think I’m Xojo’s target customer …

16. Christian S

May 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Germany

Really guys, just wait for the next 20% discount on all items in store and than get a Xojo update and the videos :-)

17. Markus W

May 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro #JeSuisHuman Germany, Heidelb...

@ChristianSchmitz Really guys, just wait for the next 20% discount on all items in store and than get a Xojo update and the videos :-)

Sorry Christian, but you are not getting it.

The ones asking for videos to be sold in smaller packages are people like me.

20% off is $240 then which is still way out of my price range. And I know it’s the same for others.

If I HAD $240 spare I might consider updating my MBS license, but conference videos?

Never gonna happen.

And that’s me done here.

18. James M

May 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

One other perspective... I spent about $2,000 to attend the conference... which was probably well below average... I am sure other attendees paid a lot more than that. Most of that money did not go to Xojo, it went to pay for my room and the airline.

I fully realize that attending the event is much more beneficial than just watching the videos... but if I could buy just the videos I wanted to see and save myself $1900+ it would be harder to justify attending.

I also had to pay for the entire conference even if there were sessions that did not interest me.

Making the video option more enticing could lead to a collapse of the event which would bad for all of us.

19. Norman P

May 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Alberta Canada

The company I worked with before Xojo had much the same concern.
    It never materialized.
    The conferences sold out all the time.
    And the videos sold like crazy as well.

The people who could come to the conferences did in part because of all the other aspects of meeting people in person. Plus they were in very desirable holiday destinations so a lot of folks took additional time to have a vacation as part of attending the conferences.

20. Karen A

May 12 Pre-Release Testers

@Norman P The company I worked with before Xojo had much the same concern.
    The people who could come to the conferences did in part because of all the other aspects of meeting people in person. Plus they were in very desirable holiday destinations so a lot of folks took additional time to have a vacation as part of attending the conferences.

In general were they or their employers footing teh bill for conference, travel and hotel and meals (during the conference)... It makes a difference.

In my prior 2 jobs I went to a scientific/industry conference or 2 each year paid for by my employers...

For nice locations I typically took a few days vacation at the and only had to pay for meals and lodging during those extra days so cost to me was minimal... That is how I spent time in Orlando (and took drive to the space center), New Orleans and Chicago to name a few places.

For those for whom that is the case, video availability would likely have no effect... but for those paying the whole things themselves I'm not so sure... and I don't know how large teh pool of xojo users is that their employers pay for their attendance, so it might have a negative effect.

- Karen

21. Norman P

May 12 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Alberta Canada

@Karen A In general were they or their employers footing teh bill for conference, travel and hotel and meals (during the conference)... It makes a difference.

A mix of companies and individuals just like Xojo has
    In fact much of the customer base overlapped back then

@Karen A In my prior 2 jobs I went to a scientific/industry conference or 2 each year paid for by my employers...

For nice locations I typically took a few days vacation at the and only had to pay for meals and lodging during those extra days so cost to me was minimal... That is how I spent time in Orlando (and took drive to the space center), New Orleans and Chicago to name a few places.

For those for whom that is the case, video availability would likely have no effect... but for those paying the whole things themselves I'm not so sure... and I don't know how large teh pool of xojo users is that their employers pay for their attendance, so it might have a negative effect.

I'm fairly sure there a mix of employer paid and self-paid

or Sign Up to reply!