Yuck to Mr. Inspector and Mrs. Library

Possibly related: It’s my impression that the IDE also sometimes re-shows the inspector when you don’t want it. The situation I think I’ve seen this is when I’m running the debugger, and closed the Inspector to get maximum screen width, and at some point the inspector is open again. Are others seeing this?

Is there a way to hide the panel on the left too? It takes about a third of my notebook wide screen. WAY too little space to do any productive work. IMHO, noth panels should be sizeable, and minimizable.

Tim

[quote=10786:@Tim Seyfarth]Is there a way to hide the panel on the left too? It takes about a third of my notebook wide screen. WAY too little space to do any productive work. IMHO, noth panels should be sizeable, and minimizable.

Tim[/quote]
Not at the moment.

I’m another laptop user who would like some of my screen back. I’d also like smoother navigation.

1. The toolbar across the top is huge. I usually set my tool bars to be text only. Xojo doesn’t seem to support customization here. Presumably, this will get fixed for both laptop folks who want a smaller bar and for those who just want a different layout.

2. The inspector is way too loosely laid out. There’s just tons of white space. The panel for a ListBox is three swipes from top to bottom. Consider a “compact” mode so laptop users don’t have to scroll all the time.

3. I kind of like the outline on the left. It combines the project browser and the class browser, but it seems to be at the expense of easy class browsing. I have projects with hundreds of classes. If I am working on five or ten of them, as I often am, and have their outlines open, moving from class to class is a challenge. Consider a two panel browser for quicker navigation.

4. There is no way to go to a class (or method) by simply typing its name. This could a field in the toolbar. The filter for the new combined project and class outline searches both class names and item names, so it returns a huge list. The old go to feature even supported completion and will be missed.

5. Navigation is surprisingly clunky. If I have a control and want to add a new handler, I can’t just select the grayed out name. I can’t just use a pop up menu. I have to control-click the item in the combined project-class browser and then select create event handler and then I can choose a handler name from a list. I’m hoping this will get simplified as people start using the new interface.

6. Shouldn’t double clicking on a class in the project and class browser open the class in a new tab? It is possible to open a class in a new tab, but it requires playing and winning a brief video game. Why not make it easy? The current double click action, hiding all other classes, is rather useless.

7. There is no way to tell if a class contains the project browser or a reduced subset browser. Why not just let the user open the project browser in a tab?

On the plus side, your new pricing model hits my sweet spot. In fact, I’ll probably come out ahead since I don’t use remote databases, but I’ll get a few new features like the profiler.

I should have read this before posting in the ‘General’ area. But I am annoyed with the same huge waste of desktop space. I mean, if I were 90 and with poor eyesight sure :O). They really should fix this with a patch ASAP. I lose so much desktop space with the Navigator and the library bar on the right. The jury is out for me on whether this is an improvement over the old interface. I also wished they would have improved the Oracle plugin to be able to use cursors as result sets via stored procedures. Powerbuilder had the ‘Datawindow’ concept back in 1993. So it can be done… ok rant over

There is a preference setting to do exactly this. Setting it will open double clicked objects in a new tab. I really wish this was true by default but it’s not.

Well…I’m glad I’m not the only one concerned by this.

Possible feature request:

Make the work area zoom-able…think Photoshop, view at 100%…50%…25% etc. so if you’re working on large window sizes on a laptop, you can see & edit everything at once.

Thanks for the tip. Much nicer with this setting set to true.

[quote=11064:@Kuzey Atici]Well…I’m glad I’m not the only one concerned by this.

Possible feature request:

Make the work area zoom-able…think Photoshop, view at 100%…50%…25% etc. so if you’re working on large window sizes on a laptop, you can see & edit everything at once.[/quote]

This was one of my first complaints/issues in the alpha program. So, no, you’re not the only one concerned about it.

The zoomable layout editor is an interesting idea. One that I believe will get some love. But all that does is mask the overall issue that the Inspector, Library, and Navigator are too big.

Yes…yes…fix the Inspector, Library, and Navigator size issues & make the layout editor zoomable…that’s what I meant :slight_smile:

[quote]Geoff Perlman 22 hours ago Administrator Quote

We will work on it. [/quote]

Excellent Geoff! Again, thank you for a good product that promotes listening to their customers. :slight_smile:

Robert