Yuck to Mr. Inspector and Mrs. Library

Now that I am finally allowed into the forums, my first post will be a rant: Yuck to the “Inspector”

Big, takes up a lot of valuable desktop/design space on my secondary dev 13inch MacBook. I mean, the Inspector/Library takes up almost a third of my screen during design time. I hope future versions will shrink this down a bit. Large icons (this large anyway) used for similar purposes has to be breaking some kind of UI design standard somewhere :wink:

Is it a bit comforting that you can make the icons in the library into a list? :wink:
Hit the gear at the bottom of it.

Need to have Scope flags back!
the way XOJO indicates who is Private/Public etc is not well done… the Green Ball/Triangle/Red Minus were MUCH more intutitive

[quote=10174:@Dave S]Need to have Scope flags back!
the way XOJO indicates who is Private/Public etc is not well done… the Green Ball/Triangle/Red Minus were MUCH more intutitive[/quote]

I’m not a fan of either one but you do have a choice. There is also a preference setting for this. See Preferences->General->Show Item Scope. Two choices, Behind Item Text (default I believe) and Over Item Icon.

@Albin

Thanks. Looks prettier and less of an eye sore, but still takes the same amount of space.

[quote=10174:@Dave S]Need to have Scope flags back!
the way XOJO indicates who is Private/Public etc is not well done… the Green Ball/Triangle/Red Minus were MUCH more intutitive[/quote]
You can change how this is displayed in Preferences: General: Over item icon.

Sorry for the poor English.

I’m not a fan of either one of the preference settings.

Thanks Paul… that is “better”.

Any way to make the “Navigator” (you know that panel on the left [Just kidding]) font larger? 27" iMac and glasses :slight_smile:

Is there any way to make the inspector and library smaller? I do most of my work on a laptop (1366x768) and the two of them take up 42% of my screen width. It probably is OK on the 27" monitor on my desk, but it’s almost unusable on the laptop. I’m going to try it for a day or so, but right now I’m thinking I will stick with the old IDE until the work area on the new one is larger.

There’s already been a lot of discussion about this. We’re hoping that there will be some compression in the upcoming release(s). I have the same screen economy as you and, yeah, it’s a bit of a ■■■■■■ when trying to work on an interface. :confused:

No. Please sign on to <https://xojo.com/issue/26890> to make your voice heard.

Bob, do you mean for that case to be Alpha and Beta only?

100% agreed - screen space is at a premium in development IDEs, and there now is a lot of wasted space on the right and on the left. Hope this will be fixed.

The All Controls drop down fixed width could be reduced. I agree the the inspector/Library panel is too wide.

Not intentionally. All Xojo Feedback reports from that timeframe were alpha/beta list only. I believe it has been made public.

Already at #14. :slight_smile:

I dont like the inspector too but you can get rid of it by clikcing on the inspector icon at the top right , this makes the screen slightly better size. I am not sure I like the bit on the left as you dont seem to be able to get rid of it .

Ah, but we need the functionality, but not the width.

This is a major issue for me when working on my laptop. Just added my comments to the Feedback Case and put my full Xojo Pro points against it. I believe it is sitting at 8th place now.

To my friends at Xojo…Overall, excellent job on the new IDE as it looks clean and professional. I just need it to work on a smaller monitor.

Thank you,
Robert

[quote=10746:@Robert Litchfield]This is a major issue for me when working on my laptop. Just added my comments to the Feedback Case and put my full Xojo Pro points against it. I believe it is sitting at 8th place now.

To my friends at Xojo…Overall, excellent job on the new IDE as it looks clean and professional. I just need it to work on a smaller monitor.

Thank you,
Robert[/quote]
We will work on it.