You are opening this application for the first time

Today I click on a Feedback link, and get the message from Mavericks :
"You are opening this application from the first time. Feedback is an application downloaded from the Internet. "

Strange. I use Feedback often, and have not updated the system recently.

What’s up with OS X ? Is it any usual ? Can this happen for my apps ?

Is it possible you have more than one copy?

There is only one copy in the system, in /Applications/. I installed the app a good while ago, it is 2014R1 dated 20140213.

Looking at the Info for the app, I see that there is a “Last opened” field, now mentioning my last use. Could it be that somehow the data was lost before ?

I looked on the Internet and all I found was a rather old post http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/300396-you-opening-xxx-app-first-time.html that recommends to check that apps have the owner wheel and to reconstruct the Launch Services Databse.

This page tells how to do it. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486

I typed lsregister in Terminal and was told command not found. After consulting the exact command in a list of Mac OS X commands at http://ss64.com/osx/lsregister.html , it appears I needed to use the full path to the program :

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain <user>

When I launched that, it froze for a minute, and then came back to the prompt with no message.

I shall see if this improves things.

The annoying part is not so much getting the message for myself, as if the same happens to my customers. Those who buy direct from my site, since I imagine Mac App Store programs are immune (never seen this message for them).

N o, this is because you have som trouble in your computer. I get that from time to time, not only with Feedback (usually not with Feedback 'cause I do not use it… often).

How to repair your OS ? I do not know, beside make a backup, format (low level) your hard disk and reinstall the OS. This will run for seval days / weeks until it start to reappears…

Since this is the first time I heard of someone who suffer from this trouble, I think (wrongly) that it is very, very rare and so Apple will not spend (waste) resources to remoive this bug. (I have many other bugs that appears with time, usually with the Finder).
Do you have many external hard disks ?
Do you have these for a long time (> 2/3 years) ?
Do you boot on old / older OS version from an external hard disk (or many hard disks) ?

I have all of these and the trouble appears when I start to connect one of those on my brand new formatted / installed internal Hard Disk. It looks like a plague. Insert one external hard disk and watch its led how many seconds / minutes the led is on, then how many times its icon took to appears on the desktop / how many times the light is on after that…

Don’t start me on Feedback you never use :wink:

[quote=130922:@Emile Schwarz]Do you have many external hard disks ?
Do you have these for a long time (> 2/3 years) ?
Do you boot on old / older OS version from an external hard disk (or many hard disks) ?[/quote]

Neither of those. iMac with a disk that has been changed about 3 months ago so brand new formatted, and an external drive for Time machine. I do boot on an external Yosemite to run tests, but close to never any old version. I have a MacBook with Mountain Lion for that.

Me, I see this also often.
I think this is a Gatekeeper issue. Do a right-click on the application and click the “Open” Pushbutton.