Yosemite on a Late 2007 white MacBook :)

I do not travel that often anymore. So in spite of real envies, I never got around to buy a new portable just yet. The Macbook Air is cute, but with a 1.6 GHz dual core processor, it looks barely faster than my Windows tablet at 1 Ghz. The Mac Book Pro Retina with a 15 inches my old eyes would love is about the same price as a new Retina iMac I will soon need when Xojo supports it.

So the good old 2 Ghz dual core white Mac Book seems still quite appropriate to fill the few occasions once or twice a year when I need a machine on the go. Problem is, call it programmed obsolescence of fate, Mac OS X Mountain Lion simply declined to upgrade a couple years ago. So I was stuck with 1.7 Lion. Not nice. Kind of at the mercy of the next time Xojo puts the minimum higher.

I just got the idea to test if VMWare Fusion 5 I used until then for Windows was able to support Yosemite ; divine surprise, it does ! More amazing, it lets me use both cores (although warning it takes all resources).

So now, I will be able to attend the Xojo Scheveningen conference with a machine that supports the latest version of the system. Me happy camper :slight_smile:

While it may support the latest OS… I wouldn’t recommend it. My wife has a 2014 MacBook Air and it struggles with the fourth coming OS upgrade. She’s only got 4gb of RAM and the hungry OS likes to use most of it before she starts.

And running OS X in a VM on non-Apple hardware does violate license agreements (or used to)

And from a hard disk foot print veiw, you will need at least > 16 MB to install Yosemite 10.10.5. You will then, once installed, a mere 20 / 50 MB to not see a slowdown.

I installed Yosemite 10.10.2 (I had that installer handly) in a 16 MB SD-HC Card and was unable to install teh 10.10.5 update. So, I downloaded Yosemite 10.10.5 and once I ran it, it does not show the 16MB Card in the device list (to install SO X on).

With 10.10.2, I had only 600 / 800 MB free: after I boot on it, it was slow as hell, slow as a hollyday Friday afternoon…

The MacBook Air is very slow. As for RAM usage, it seems to be the rule that any program starting up uses a very large portion of it before coming to its senses.

AFAIK, MacBook is made by Apple … Here, my intent is not to violate the EULA, but to keep my MacBook while being able to run Yosemite.

Also:

a. Boot on the Recovery partition and fire Disk Utilities (Repair X 2 and Repair Permission) is good,

b. Boot on the Safe Boot every here and then (once a month) can be good too. But do not work on this mode. Just boot, wait a minute or two and shutdown. *

Usual PRAM Reset, etc. can also be done on a monthly basis.

Avoid custom icons, do not show Icon Preview in the Finder, limit the number of files in the Desktop… **

At last, running a limited number of application at once (in the same time) is good too.

What I also love to do is to split the boot hard disk in two partitions: a boot one (100 GB) and the second for Data (with two special folders set as Downloads folders for Safari and FireFox).

• I do that yesterday (Safe Boot) and I am happy with the results !
    ** I do most of these ;-:slight_smile:

Added after I read the newspaper (DNA):
Now, after doing all of the above, you may want to downgrade the installed OS. In that case, and excepted if you cannot use it, you may install the OS X version that was shipped with that laptop: the speed will be far better (too bad if it is 10.6 or lower; try 10.7 ?).

[quote=210337:@Michel Bujardet]I just got the idea to test if VMWare Fusion 5 I used until then for Windows was able to support Yosemite ; divine surprise, it does ! More amazing, it lets me use both cores (although warning it takes all resources).

So now, I will be able to attend the Xojo Scheveningen conference with a machine that supports the latest version of the system. Me happy camper :)[/quote]

This is the “violates the EULA” set up I was referring to
Running it on your macbook would be fine - but you’re not

[quote=210435:@Norman Palardy]This is the “violates the EULA” set up I was referring to
Running it on your macbook would be fine - but you’re not[/quote]
Where does it say he’s not???

Are you grumpy today because you can’t go to EuXDC?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Norman, please calm down.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX10103.pdf page 2 :

[i]you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

…/ snip

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software
within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is
already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during
software development; © using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.[/i]

Are you running this on Your macbook ? Or the Windows PC you mentioned ?
If its on the PC then you just quoted the portion of the EULA you violated

[quote=210468:@Michel Bujardet]
(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software
within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is
already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during
software development; © using OS X Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.[/i][/quote]

If you’re running this on your Macbook I’ll shut up

[quote=210493:@Norman Palardy]Are you running this on Your macbook ? Or the Windows PC you mentioned ?
If its on the PC then you just quoted the portion of the EULA you violated

If you’re running this on your Macbook I’ll shut up[/quote]

You better shut up. Haven’t you read the title of the thread in the first place ? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=210337:@Michel Bujardet]
I just got the idea to test if VMWare Fusion 5 I used until then for Windows was able to support Yosemite ; divine surprise, it does ! More amazing, it lets me use both cores (although warning it takes all resources).

So now, I will be able to attend the Xojo Scheveningen conference with a machine that supports the latest version of the system. Me happy camper :)[/quote]

I misread this as running Yosemite on a Windows machine in a VM

Apologies then

[quote=210499:@Norman Palardy]I misread this as running Yosemite on a Windows machine in a VM

Apologies then[/quote]

Thank you. Apologies accepted.

I thought I explained fully what I was doing in the initial post. The whole point is to be able to run Yosemite, and possibly El Capitan, on a MacBook that no longer accepted upgrades after Lion.

The mention of Windows in that post was just because VMWare Fusion (that exists only on Mac) allowed me to run Windows on the MacBook. There was never any PC involved. Sorry if somehow my formulation was not clear enough.