Yosemite 'button' bug.

Just had to change all my buttons in an app because the button type “Rounded Textured” no longer displays that it’s disabled.

Another bug to log with Apple over Yosemite. I’ve logged more bugs with Yosemite than I have in the last 10 years! It’s pretty disgraceful actually.

Strange that they let such big blunders through. Disgraceful is the least one can say…

It is a pity when developers not only have to scramble to adapt to a new system, but to deal with enormous bugs as well :frowning:

Well, it does – if you put 2 buttons directly besides each other, one enabled, one not, you will see there is a (very tiny!) difference in the darkness of their caption color :frowning:

And here in lies a gripe I have with the overall look of Yosemite, on my 17" MacBook Pro, There is an overall lacking in contrast with Yosemite, the differences are simply not perceivable. Unless of course you enable “System 6” (Increase Contrast) mode and at which point it then loses the ‘Vibrancy’.

I dare not install it on my production machine, I need that to connect to the Internet :wink:

This morning I discovered the very faint animation in the indeterminate ProgressBar. It is barely visible. Daltoniens beware !

So I created a more contrasted version, but what were they thinking ?

I can imagine Apple designers are working on their latest screens too. Some of these glossy displays have a really wide contrast range – on my (Pantone calibrated) proof monitor images do not look that snappy. Maybe they want us all to buy a retina display as fast as possible to read their visual subliminal notifications? :slight_smile:

iOS?

Making a desktop OS resemble a phone OS worked out so well for Microsoft!

I can’t wait for IT fashion to swing round again to beautiful gradient and depth, or go sci-fi!

[quote=140227:@Sam Rowlands]iOS?

I can’t wait for IT fashion to swing round again to beautiful gradient and depth, or go sci-fi![/quote]

OS X. https://forum.xojo.com/16908-indeterminate-progressbar-shows-100

But it is true that Yosemite seems affected by the same kind of pollution as Windows 8 was.

[quote=140227:@Sam Rowlands]iOS?

I can’t wait for IT fashion to swing round again to beautiful gradient and depth, or go sci-fi![/quote]

NeXT black !

Also they must be younger than us here, because I can’t see much either. The indeterminate progress bar I only saw after a while.

On the other hand I would like to shoot the $%&/ people from Microsoft with the 0% contrast in Office. Which is coming to the Mac next year. Can’t wait!

I cheated and used Pixie to view the progress bar scaled up.

The main issue I have with the new progresbar is that it’s obviously designed to be used very differently than traditional progress bars.

Take Backup To Go for instance, where the progress bar is sort the key element during a backup, now it seems that the new progress bar is designed more sorta to be tucked at the top or the bottom of the window as opposed to in the middle. Which makes it harder to be a consistent interface between both versions of the OS.

Oh and as the undetermined progress bar, I wonder if Apple don’t expect anyone to use it anymore. It seems that most Apple apps either show a progress wheel or a regular progress bar now.

To me that makes sense. Why use progress bar if you can’t tell the actual progress, it’s just UI bloat.

Yes, but the perception of motion should give you the idea that something is progressing. When it’s not visible, the user is unsure if the app is still working or hung up in an endless loop.

Yes. I was referring to using progress wheel (or some other UI element) as opposed to progress bar.

Now’ this is fun! according to the AHIG, the undetermined progress bar looks like this!

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/ControlsIndicators.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH50-SW1

Are we seeing the same thing as Apple here?

That’s only a guideline :wink:

Do as I say, not as I do …