XPlat Toolbar Options

Hi Folks,
I have a need for a toolbar that’s more advanced that what Xojo provides. I need Mac OS X unified (or whatever they call it these days) that can handle Retina icons, Windows, allow customization. Would love the ability to do various sizes and caption options (at least in Windows since I know Mac OS X is very picky about these conventions). Would also prefer option to purchase source code.

Anyone have some suggestions on where to go look?

Thanks!
Bob Keeney

I use Jeremie Leroy’s toolbar. Has retina support and I bought the source to do a little customization. Pretty reasonably priced as I recall, even for source.

The Xojo toolbar should handle everything except customization. And shouldn’t a declare be able to handle this?

Wouldn’t you have to script your own for customization on Windows?

Another vote goes for the Toolbar by Jeremie Leroy. It’s just great, but not sure if it fits your needs (retina icons) since I don’t use Mac.

You are correct :frowning:

It does, except when the toolbar is gets minimized horizontally (as the size of its parent window is reduced) and they start going into the little MenuItem on the right. When they appear they are either not Retina and are the right size, or are Retina but double the size, depending on what icons you fed in for the minimal icons. Has to do with displaying Retina pictures on a MenuItem according to Jeremie. He was going to see if there was something he could do with MacOSLib, but the last time I checked the issue is there. Not a big issue for me, I never see it unless the toolbar is really long.

If you don’t need to support windows, I’d suggest MacOSLib’s NSToolbar, you can just use double sized images for icons that need to be retina compatible.

[quote=108862:@Bob Keeney]Hi Folks,
I have a need for a toolbar that’s more advanced that what Xojo provides. I need Mac OS X unified (or whatever they call it these days) that can handle Retina icons, Windows, allow customization. Would love the ability to do various sizes and caption options (at least in Windows since I know Mac OS X is very picky about these conventions). Would also prefer option to purchase source code.

Anyone have some suggestions on where to go look?

Thanks!
Bob Keeney[/quote]

To get the proper behavior for unified look on OS X it has to be native (NSToolbar)
And that means you probably want to support the customization panel the OS provides.
Which means that too HAS to be native to work properly - otherwise it won’t look right or behave right.
And, for that, you’re looking at a plugin since I don’t believe you can do everything (including the customization) from declares as you require a Toolbar delegate which adopts a specific protocol on OS X which is something I don’t think you can do in declares (see NSToolbar set delegate)
Its the same reason we had to write the TextInputCanvas - that required a specific protocol and there’s no way to do that in Xojo code using declares.

On Windows well … the Win32 toolbar is quite limited.
Theres a pile it doesn’t support.
The .Net one is better but I don’t know if you can get at it from Xojo code to incorporate it - it behaves a lot more lithe OS X one and allows flexible spacing etc.