Xojo vs Xamarin

I assume you mean we should implement <https://xojo.com/issue/7173> ?

Yes or even some middle way if their unable or unwilling to go so far, anything would be better than current situation. For example if you can click the properties node and then edit ALL the properties in one Text.

Function editing the whole function as one thing and not with those awful input boxes for every component of it.

Those are little things and relatively easy to do quickly without upsetting their whole world. But would be huge change for the frustrated people.

But yes in the long run then editing whole class at a time is what is desired (if their code editor can handle it)

I have been using the product for over 13 years, and still prefer using the IDE rather than typing into a flat text file. It helps me structure and organize things.

That is not to sat that the IDE and navigator don’t need improvement - they certainly do… but a text file type code editor for the project would make me have to worry about a lot of little things I would rather not have to. And yes i have coded that way many years ago… and I don’t want to go back to it!

• Karen

[quote=117821:@Björn Eiríksson]
Those are little things and relatively easy to do quickly without upsetting their whole world. [/quote]
Sure … little things :stuck_out_tongue:

From my own experience I would be more carefully with such assumptions. When a project evolves over years, the amount of code and functionality mostly increases. The code get more complex, the dependencies between parts of code can grow.

To say this or that little thing could be changed in no time is easy, especially when you don’t know the code and you don’t have to do the programming by yourself. Please have more trust in the developers, they know their code and the difficulties.

It is bad enough, when the managers don’t trust our time estimations, so we developers should know what we are talking about and trust us, when we give feasibility/estimation statements.

This was my original post:

How terrible can derail a discussion ? So much that I hardly dare to raise a new topic.

Joost, I’ve lost such fears times ago. We are an international community aggregating diversity. Any topic with some kind of diverse impact will generate multiple points of view and even “satellite” argumentations. I don’t feel it was a very bad topic that derailed to a bad line (yet, at least) and we still arguing in a friendly way. So, no need for apologies. :wink:

I don’t think it’s derailed very much all. Well, maybe it devolved into mobile platforms for a bit but it seems to have come back around to Xojo in general. There has been an honest discussion of features/drawbacks of Xojo in comparison to Xamarin.

It’s just the nature of conversation.

In threads where the op has a programming issue you usually get a few replies until the problem’s resolved and that’s it, job done. In threads like this that are presumably created to start a discussion you inevitably get a bit of meandering.

Relax and go with the flow. I doubt it’ll result in any fisticuffs, just a bit of verbal jostling.