Xojo vs Xamarin

That’s Apples stupidity - contracting with someone who rips you off blatantly.
They’re moving business away from Samsung - not fast enough for my liking.

I don’t own anything that has a visible Samsung label (TV, DVR, DVD player etc) for mostly that reason.
Their idea of “fast follower” is “rip off artist” as far as I’m concerned.

HERE the essence of what I think about Tizen said by others. :stuck_out_tongue:

Globally the economy is bad and everyone tries to find their own path to living

[quote=117485:@Norman Palardy]That’s Apples stupidity - contracting with someone who rips you off blatantly.[/quote]But when Apple violate Samsung’s patents they have friends in high places that can veto the ruling.

Apple have also found technical and quality issues in trying to find alternatives to Samsung. Like it or not Samsung are good at what they do.

One third of smartphone sales are now for phablets, a category created by Samsung. Rumour has it Apple are just about to enter the phablet arena.

Then let’s think back to what Steve Jobs said when Samsung first released a 7" tablet:

[quote=Steve Jobs]I’d like to comment on the avalanche of tablets poised to enter the market in the coming months. First, it appears to be just a handful of credible entrants, not exactly an avalanche. Second, almost all of them use seven-inch screens as compared to iPad’s near 10-inch screen. Let’s start there. One naturally thinks that a seven-inch screen would offer 70% of the benefits of a 10-inch screen. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. The screen measurements are diagonal, so that a seven-inch screen is only 45% as large as iPad’s 10-inch screen. You heard me right; just 45% as large.

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion.

Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size. Apple’s done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.[/quote]
So Apple wouldn’t make a < 10" tablet then?
What happened next?

So, who leads and who follows?

Although all the press about Tizen centers around Samsung’s smartphones Tizen is about more than that.

This discussion was about development tools, was it not ? Frankly, I don’t care about who copies whom and all those sort of petty quarrels. Muting soon :confused:

For me it’s quite obvious: different tools for different platforms and tasks. The days are gone when we could happily fire up our #1 dev tool as no other tools where not needed. However, with the increase of new platforms we can see it’s difficult to reach out with one dev platform.

Again, the diversity increase and it’s quite challenging :slight_smile:

It seems to me you have a choice - become proficient in a number of tools and be happy to develop software for their targets or buy into a tool that is aiming to address a number of targets & develop once (or at least similarly) for those targets. I learnt my trade on PDP 11’s, Vax VMS & this cute little OS from the UK microCOBOL from BOS (long gone), COBOL the language framework was largely the same across these platforms - almost. Xojo is in that space in attempting to be an Xplat dev tool. They’ve succeeded in the Web space and look like they’re going to succeed in the iOS space.

Dennis you’ve missed the whole point of Xojo - it’s Xplat Xojo does not pretend to be the best at any one platform, it just works.

And now I’m going to take the hint from Michel & mute this stupid conversation.

In fact, it took me about the same amount of working hours to become productive with Xojo as it once took with Visual Studio and C#.

Where in Visual Sudio I spent most of that time with learning and understanding the framework classes while in Xojo I needed A LOT of time identifying “unexpected behavior” plus finding workarounds and/or plugins.

The pointed article says that the future Tizen wants to be what Android is today. :slight_smile:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/73406.html
http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/2011/10/from-meego-to-tizen-the-making-of-another-software-bubble/

Tizen will have a long road to the top… or burst.
After surpassing the first 500 million of units sold, or offering thousands of dollars for the devs interested, it will grab my attention. :wink:

Kivy hits a lot of targets including Android and iOS.

There’s no doubt Android has got substantially better with each iteration, maybe in time I’ll appreciate it more.

For the last 5 or 6 weeks I’ve been using a ZTE Open C which is running Firefox OS 1.3. I bought it out of curiosity (ZTE were selling them direct on Ebay for £52), I have to say it’s much better than I was anticipating. The only time I’ve gone back to my Android device since getting it was when I wanted to use the sat-nav.

I’ll go where the market goes. The market ask me Android. They don’t ask me Firefox OS or Tizen. If I had enough demand, I’ll would play with it, but for now, I’ll let it for the young people and their passions. :wink:

I see your phone on EBAY, it can be “Androidfied” :

4’’ ZTE Open C Firefox OS 3G Smartphone Qualcomm Dual Core 1.2 GHz Cell Phone

Features:

1. Fiefox OS 1.3 with 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 MSM8210, Dual core processor and 512MB RAM + 4GB ROM
2. Firefox OS is the free and open source operating system from Mozilla. Its mission is to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity by keeping the power of the Web in your hands.
3. Firefox OS 1.3/ Android 4.4 KitKat compatible, can be switched by updating the ROM
4. Support 2G network: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
5. Support 3G network: WCDMA 850/1900MHz
6. 4.0 inch large TFT capacitive screen with 800 x 480 pixels WVGA screen resolution
7. 2.0MP rear camera, up to 1600x1200 pixels resolution
8. Can reflash the Android 4.4 KitKat OS. Contact us and we will provide you the Android OS firmware.

[quote=117587:@Rick Araujo]The pointed article says that the future Tizen wants to be what Android is today. :slight_smile:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/73406.html
http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/2011/10/from-meego-to-tizen-the-making-of-another-software-bubble/

Tizen will have a long road to the top… or burst.
After surpassing the first 500 million of units sold, or offering thousands of dollars for the devs interested, it will grab my attention. ;)[/quote]

Samsung could do for its Android phones what the did with the first Galaxy Gear watch and release an update to Tizen , if they wanted to. Of course they will have to get developers aboard and it looks like they are trying todo just that. Recently for the Samsung Store they have required that developers build against the Samsung SDK, not the Google Android SDK.

[quote=117650:@Rick Araujo]I see your phone on EBAY, it can be “Androidfied” :
…//…
Can reflash the Android 4.4 KitKat OS. Contact us and we will provide you the Android OS firmware.[/quote]
You can buy it preloaded with KitKat here.

Many of the cross-platform SDKs including Unity, Marmalade, Havoc, Cocos2dx, GameMaker Studio, CocoonJS, OpenFL and Cordoba now offer Tizen as a target. So yes, I think Samsung have been beavering away quietly doing the groundwork.

Stirring the kettle, are we? Great… Now people are going to attribute your post claiming that’s what Geoff said.

Geoff saying that they’ve discussed Android internally is a whole lot different then saying your going to release beta’s and final releases for three years (2012, 2013, 2014) in a row.

I’m not above stirring the pot, occasionally. But, in this case it was a reflection of historical conversations of possibilities that magically turn into promises that are used against the management. 13 years in this community tends jade my opinion of humanity. :slight_smile:

Sometimes it would be better if management said nothing and when they’ve made a decision (yay or nay) tell us. People have, and will, use Geoff’s statement against him. I’ve seen it before and I predict that it will happen again.

[quote=117790:@Bob Keeney]I’m not above stirring the pot, occasionally. But, in this case it was a reflection of historical conversations of possibilities that magically turn into promises that are used against the management. 13 years in this community tends jade my opinion of humanity. :slight_smile:

Sometimes it would be better if management said nothing and when they’ve made a decision (yay or nay) tell us. People have, and will, use Geoff’s statement against him. I’ve seen it before and I predict that it will happen again.[/quote]

Thanks!

I wish they would listen to Bob on the code editor. For more than a decade I have tried showing Xojo and Pre Xojo’s to developers (not newbies) and its just a no go with code editor like that. I always swallowed it my self up to a point, but the editor then got fat worse in Xojo than it was before, so bad that its just really hard to go in there and use it for more than few minutes without getting in bad mood.

If you want to appeal to some sort of newbie users then sure have some field based thing to make methods and properties but have it all optional ! Its not a blessing for more than few weeks of life cycle of new developer, then its just a curse. Simple class with just the interface stubs that takes me few min to make in Visual Studio would take me a hour to make in Xojo (if I would last so long at it)

Please someone start petition for them to get this looked at, I know I am not alone in this and I know this has kept a LOT of customers away throughout the years as it won’t even get past their initial inspection of the IDE.