Xojo under Ubuntu Linux: better performance with xubuntu-Desktop

When using Ubuntu focal it is difficult to work with the IDE. If you need more performance and a working copy and paste change to xubuntu-Desktop what is working much better with Xojo. You can install xubuntu-Desktop with

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

After you will see that when using xubuntu the IDE becomes much faster and copy and paste is working more reliable and also faster. Makes it a bit more nice to work under linux.

Please do not forget: because of the deprecated libwebkit-3 there is a problem with the help files and with installing xojo as normal. You would have to use the tar-gz archive for installing it because it is not possible to install without the dependencie and will refuse or will make it needed to apt --fix-broken install the package manager before using another deb on the system what will erase xojo.

1 Like

If you need more performance and a working copy and paste change
to Xubuntu-Desktop what is working much better with Xojo

Thanks for the hint. I don’t like Xubuntu, but maybe it’s a temporary solution.

After a few years of break, I decided to try out the current version of Xojo. Linux version as it’s my daily operating system (Ubuntu 20.04). Generally, it would be ok if it wasn’t for the IDE problems. I mean:

• known issue with off-line documentation
  • button and text box clipping (I added a screenshot)
  • really weird effect of reducing the editor to a small square (happened several times)
  • Xojo IDE eats up RAM quite fast, it starts with about 350 MB, but after an hour of work it reaches 0.9 GB, is that normal? At one point, I could see how each cursor movement in the editor or typing a few characters eats up 0.2-0.5 MB of memory.
  • but the worst thing is slowness, after 15 minutes of work the editor stops keeping up with the keyboard, I type rather slowly but still, characters started to appear with a 1-2 second delay, which is quite annoying.

My hardware is not very modern (i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM), but other tools (PyCharm, QGIS, RStudio) work quite well. I also remember that at least a few years ago, the Windows version was much nicer to use.
All of this makes working with Xojo difficult, which is a pity because it’s a pretty good tool for creating desktop database applications. Dear Xojo, I know Linux is not the main sales market for you, but is there any hope of improving the quality of the Linux IDE version?

Thanks

2 Likes

I totally agree with you and I too have experienced same issues in Ubuntu 20.04. I am hopeful that Xojo development team will take up this feedback a bit seriously.

1 Like

This issue comes up with Nvidia, and and intel graphics under Ubuntu, opensuse and cantos with gnome, xfce and kde

1 Like

Good idea, but all this does is lengthen the time it takes to hit the memory ceiling due to the desktop environment using less memory. You’ll still run into the slow down after a few hours of active use. Enlightenment, XFCE, and OpenLook are similar in this.

1 Like

Yes true but it helps to work an hour instead of ten minutes

2 Likes

In my best “Bud Lite” commercial voice - True, True …

I think we have resolved this for 2020r1.1.

There would be the need for an Update for 2019R3.2 cause not experienced users with web projects would not be able to install it on Linux Systems and would get a bad xojo experience.